226193 Bullies, 3829 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast
  1. --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bullshido YouTube Account Suspended

I got this email from YouTube this afternoon, and now I find out that the account is completely suspended:
    Dear Member:

This is to notify you that we have removed or disabled access to the following material as a result of a third-party notification by Sifu justin Och claiming that this material is infringing:

What's Wrong With the Martial Arts: Self-Made Sound Effects

Please Note: Repeat incidents of copyright infringement will result in the deletion of your account and all videos uploaded to that account. In order to prevent this from happening, please delete any videos to which you do not own the rights, and refrain from uploading additional videos that infringe on the copyrights of others. For more information about YouTube's copyright policy, please read the Copyright Tips guide.
    If you elect to send us a counter notice, please go to our Help Center to access the instructions.

Please note that under Section 512(f) of the Copyright Act, any person who knowingly materially misrepresents that material or activity was removed or disabled by mistake or misidentification may be subject to liability.
    Sincerely,
    YouTube, Inc.
    Apparently the simpering Wing Chun instructor who was the subject of a light-hearted parody video making fun of him, made enough of a stink to get YouTube to say "screw-it" and blow out our whole account.

This account is vital to us getting the word out about what we do here, along with our sense of humor about MA related stuff. We had dozens of videos on there, with MILLIONS of hits, so this is a major problem for us.

How you can help:

1. Attempt to contact YouTube on our behalf and find out how we can resolve this. I've done what I can do at the moment, through their system, but perhaps an email campaign would help more. For the record, we haven't violated any copyrights by editing content for the sake of parody.

2. Re-upload any Bullshido videos you have to your own YouTube accounts, and include http://www.bullshido.net at the top of the description for each.

3. ??? Ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	youtube-censor.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	10535  

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 6:27pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What a crock of ****. If I had any videos to upload, I would. Otherwise, you can use my account for whatever you want until it gets suspended!!

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 6:38pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll upload everything I can think of to our own servers, and you guys can just re-upload them yourself if you want. The idea is to not let them keep us from getting the word out, even if it's just through mostly humor videos.

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 6:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2009 2:05am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is straight up bullshit. It's also reminded me of a similar situation between some atheist guy and some batshit crazy fundie guy on the youtubes. Here's a link to the encyclopedia dramatica article.

http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Ven...2FDMCA_Debacle

The TL;DR version: Atheist guy makes video making fun of a fundie guy, taking clips of fundie guy's youtube poop and then mocking said clips. Fundie guy reported this for copyright infringement. Atheist guy threatened to sue for perjury or something (I don't know, I'm not a lawyer) based on the fact it was fair use to use said clips for criticism and satire.

I know this seems irrelevant, but I think they are similar situations.

Also, I'm emailing youtube at this email address(copyright@youtube.com) I got from this page:http://www.google.com/support/youtub...r&topic=&type=

This is what I'm putting in the email

To Whom It May Concern:

I am a fan of the Bullshido youtube page, and think that the suspension of their account is without merit. Clips used in the video which got them suspended (http://www.youtube.com/watch?<wbr>v=-JxnPwKasGY) were used for satire and criticism, which if I am not mistaken is allowed as "fair use." The suspension of the account is a misuse of the copyright flagging system.

Sincerely,
    DunkelAnanas (I'll use my real name in the email.)

Would this be alright? How could I alter my email?

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    8/31/2009 3:53am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would strongly recommend you are blatant and reopen the account immediately.

Usually, youtube has a hard time keeping track of those things.

Also, if your legal advisors 8we have more than one lawyer here, IIRC), recommend it, go to a dozen of smaller video sites, like, myvideo, and so on,
    and open accounts there.

They also appear in the google searches, and to shut them down one by one should be fairly difficult.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/31/2009 8:35am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if wing chun doesn't work on the street, it certainly works on the internet.

this is mind blowing buuuuulllsshiiiit.

Posted On:
    8/31/2009 10:07am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Doesn't the complaining party have to actually ...

nevermind...stopped myself mid-thought to research this sucker....

According to http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/fa...al.html#mywork

Quote Originally Posted by U.S. Copyright Office
    When is my work protected?
    Your work is under copyright protection the moment it is created and fixed in a tangible form that it is perceptible either directly or with the aid of a machine or device.

Do I have to register with your office to be protected?
    No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the moment the work is created. You will have to register, however, if you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work. See Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section “Copyright Registration.”

He may actually have a point about copyright infringement, but I don't think he should be employing it. To get around it, Phrost might have to cite where he got the video.

So instead of just "Lulz, look at this bullshit MA," it would become "Lulz, look at this bullshit MA performed by [insert Sifu name] on [insert date of filming] in [insert location of filming]."
    "The pedant is he who finds it impossible to read criticism of himself without immediately reaching for his pen and replying to the effect that the accusation is a gross insult to his person. He is, in effect, a man unable to laugh at himself."Sigmund Freud, The Ego and the Id.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    8/31/2009 10:51am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BTW, youtube usually never reflects an accusation,
    just takes videos down without further notice.

You write them a letter and complain,
    and your stuff should be unlocked very soon.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonist; 8/31/2009 11:04am at .

Posted On:
    8/31/2009 11:10am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I filled out their form as soon as I found out. They make it ridiculously difficult to contact them on any issue like this so any means of getting to them that you guys can find (thanks for the link above) would be appreciated.
Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast