...gray power!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2009 8:31am

Style: Legalese

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by socratic View Post
    Did he look like Clint Eastwood? If so then you should have excepted an assbeating.
    He must have felt lucky.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    8/31/2009 11:42am

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "...an old man asked me if I wanted to train..."

"Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2009 12:57pm

Style: BJJ/MuayThai/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I train MT with someone who says he's 70. He doesn't look 70 to me, and he sure doesn't move like he's 70. He's one of those super-active seniors you hear about on the news. He says he started Karate in the 1950's and won a bunch of tournaments.

One day he did the fitness kickboxing class before Muay Thai. As we were doing a warmup (jumping over a rope at knee height 40 times, then jump over and crawl under just touching with your hands and feet), he was starting to slow down (but still pwning most of the people there). I joked "Pete, I dunno about that fitness kickboxing...I think it's making you out of shape...you're moving like you're a 40-year-old man!"

We're pretty even in striking, but I'd give him the edge. Sneaky-old-man-southpaw style with experience.

Posted On:
    8/31/2009 2:27pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a lie. I am basically made of glass. The grey hairs are a sign that I am one day away from a wheel chair. You have absolutely nothing to be afraid of.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/31/2009 2:56pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dog Brothers gatherings are like this- not that they're super old, but the older guys that don't look like much can really fight well. Equalizers.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2009 3:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You've gotta respect the experience and the strategy there... I was sparring with a friend of mine a couple years back, he teaches tae kwon do. 99% of his students are complete ****, then he's got about four real good fighters in there. So we go at it medium contact, got all the olympic gear on and ****. I swear no matter what I did, as soon as I was within kicking range he had a side kick or a roundhouse exactly in my one spot that was open.

At the time I was 30 and he was 50. So not quite elderly, but dang if I was just not able to hit the guy. Should have went for the double leg...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2009 3:35pm

Style: shorin ryu/bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We have an older instructor that has been training 40 years at the dojo now....its like training with a marble statue. His bones have been so conditioned its scary. I hope for his bone density at his age. When new people start to train we dont tell them, then sit back and watch him spar a few rounds with them. I swear his shin kicks on your thighs feel like hes swinging a steel pipe at you.

Posted On:
    8/31/2009 4:17pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ciscodog View Post
    We have an older instructor that has been training 40 years at the dojo now....its like training with a marble statue. His bones have been so conditioned its scary. I hope for his bone density at his age. When new people start to train we dont tell them, then sit back and watch him spar a few rounds with them. I swear his shin kicks on your thighs feel like hes swinging a steel pipe at you.
    Or lead pipes. I swear to god those Shorin-ryu dudes feel no pain.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2009 4:55pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crappler View Post
    Or lead pipes. I swear to god those Shorin-ryu dudes feel no pain.
    funny you mention this, i was in that style when i practiced karate, more info on it plz ?

but yeah, he moves a bit stiff but everytime anyone comes close they eat stiff punches everywhere.

he makes it look so effortlessly, its a bit scary how well he dodges all those punches with so little effort or movement. wont even blink if you tagged him
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast