Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 11:56am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav Maga/MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kickboxing vs Muay Thai

I have been wanting to take up Muay Thai for a while now, but i cant find a dedicated school/instructor in my area, though there are quite a few kickboxing schools.
    I was just wondering what peoples thoughts were on regular kickboxing against muay thai, is it worth me joining a kickboxing school if i cant find anywhere that trains muay thai?
    Im mainly looking for something that is very much striking orientated to compliment the Krav Maga i am already doing. Just looking to learn to strike harder, faster and with better technique.
    Im going tobe joining an mma class soon, possibly doing small group training with an acomplished mma fighter, so im hoping i will learn what i need from that, but if it doesnt work out, or if im not getting what i want from the class, is checking out a kickboxing class recommeded? (keeping in mind there is a class like, 5 minutes walk from me)

Cheers.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 2:13pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Firstly I would like to say that this is the advanced striking techniques forum so I'm not sure if this belongs here, but I'll let the mods decide that. Right on to your question.

It really, really depends.

There are a lot of different types of kickboxing. For a start you have full contact or semi contact. I would recommend full contact anyway but if you want to fight MMA, then you really want to be training for FC competition. If the school is semi contact only I would think about not bothering, unless the stuff that they are teaching looks really applicable.

Then along with the contact issue is the rules issue. Some styles of kickboxing allow for leg kicks and some don't. Really you want the style that does allow for leg kicks as your going to be seeing a lot of these if you want to do MMA.

So to conclude what you really want is something that is as close to what you will see in MMA (i.e limited rules, Full contact). The extent to which you want to compromise is up to you, although if you walk in and see lots of flicky kicks and guys holding out their leg and just kicking from the knee, that's generally a bad sign. However a good full contact kick boxing school will give you a great base for MMA.

Edit - I've sort of jumped the gun a bit here, as you just said that you wanted your strikes to be harder. If its for SD purposes then really any FC striking art will do - in fact your best bet might be boxing (if you want good hands there's nowt better)

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 4:16pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav Maga/MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the reply, very informative.

And yeah, it is primarily for self defense, but i have also been thinking a lot recently about getting into some form of competitive fighting, most likely mma cagefighting sort of stuff.

I have thought about boxing, but i really want something that involves kicks and knees as well, as they are used every now and again in the krav, so the more i improve my technique/power the better.

I guess i'll see what happens with the mma classes/tuition, and i think i'll check out my local kickboxing class as they seem to have an offer on for a load of free lessons, and see what its like.

Thanks again for the help, and sorry if this is in the wrong forum, wasnt sure where to put it!

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 8:36pm

Style: 5x5, 5.56mm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was training MT but have shifted to Kickboxing at the moment due to work. With a choice though, I'd chose MT as there are less self imposed restrictions.

Burnsey's got the truth of it though, if you can find a no-nonsense, full contact Kickboxing group then game on. Failing that, box. I don't know where you're based but in the UK there's a lot of really good boxing gyms, more or less nationwide. I know you're after kicks etc but it's generally it's cheap, brutal and brilliant!

Let us know how you go.

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 10:51pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueHolocaust View Post
    Thanks for the reply, very informative.

And yeah, it is primarily for self defense, but i have also been thinking a lot recently about getting into some form of competitive fighting, most likely mma cagefighting sort of stuff.

I have thought about boxing, but i really want something that involves kicks and knees as well, as they are used every now and again in the krav, so the more i improve my technique/power the better.

I guess i'll see what happens with the mma classes/tuition, and i think i'll check out my local kickboxing class as they seem to have an offer on for a load of free lessons, and see what its like.

Thanks again for the help, and sorry if this is in the wrong forum, wasnt sure where to put it!
    Do you live in israel, because if you do then Muay thai (from what I've heard) is possible to find, (just based on that you do Krav and mention the Holocaust in your name) other wise, damn it, I'm useless...

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 11:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Typically kick boxing schools focus more on boxing and usually don't teach knee's, elbows, and sometimes leg kicks. Though mind you there are plenty of exceptions.

If you can find a full contact joint that allows more then just stick around there. Better to train something good then nothing at all.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/31/2009 1:20am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav Maga, Boxing, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am in a similar position in that i trained Krav for a few years before moving onto combat sports. Considering striking for MMA, i think jumping straight into Muay Thai can be a little confusing. Boxing/Kickboxing/Muaythai are to a large extent related disciplines. Muay Thai is an extremely complex martial art and it's a lot to take in all at once. I'm also training for eventual MMA competition. My plan with the striking is to start with Boxing and have a few amateur fights, move on the kickboxing and do the same and then start Muay Thai. At the same time do a bit of no-gi grappling to keep it fresh in your head.

When you start fighting MMA, you can just train in Muay Thai and grappling and you will have a good base in the other striking systems. This is a generalisation, but many pure MT fighters tend to have shabby hands, and punches can be decisive in MMA with the small gloves. Whatever you choose, be aware that it will require significantly more time commitment than Krav Maga to make progress- we are talking about training every day here. Good luck!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/03/2009 2:27am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: HKD+MT+BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    u wanna train muay thai for certain reasons that u clearified and for those specific reasons i think that kickboxing can give what ur looking for and more .. so if its like u say that there's no muay thai clubs nearby and a kickboxing gym 5 min away then by all means .. join that club!