Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2009 4:11pm

Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've got a paper from John Berardi and Ryan Andrews, entitled Nutritional Strategies for the Management of Sports Injuries

It advocates an anti-inflammatory diet, adding fish oils, curry powder, garlic, pineapple, cocoa, tea and blueberries to your daily regimen while healing. Also of note:

Of course, comparatively speaking, an athlete will have to eat less during injury recovery than during training and competition. Yet if they return to baseline intake, they may be under eating. Let's take the example of a young athlete here.
    Example Athlete Male - 14y 5'6", 140 lbs Basal Metabolic Rate 1611 kcal/day (based on the mean of 3 predictive equations) Energy needs when sedentary 1933 kcal/day (based on activity factor of 1.2) Energy needs with daily training/competition 2739kcal/day (based on activity factor of 1.7) Energy needs during injury recovery 2319kcal/day (based on activity factor of 1.2 and a 20% increase in metabolism due to injury)
    As you can see, although energy intake should decrease (relative to training and competition) during periods of injury repair, returning to baseline intake will lead to underfeeding.

Make sure you don't cut too many calories.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/01/2009 5:34pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: San shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all the advice. I didn't realize how much the pain meds would take out of me. I don't think I'd be able to do too much exercise if I wanted.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12