Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 11:51am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: San shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

post-surgery diet and exercise

I'm having a very minor surgery done tomorrow (turbinate reduction, they shave off a small piece of the inside of my nose), but because of the high risk of bleeding, the doctor has advised no lifting, and no exercise for a week after the surgery (not even jogging).

Forgive the noob question, but is there anything I can do to prevent muscle atrophy in the week I can't lift? Maybe light dumbbell exercises? Or is that something I don't even have to worry about? I'm fairly new to bodybuilding (as should be obvious by my question).

Part II: I've been eating a diet high in protein and calories while lifting, but have also been doing cardio on my off days in addition to sanshou training. Because I'll be pretty much mostly sedentary while recovering, should I go to a lower calorie diet to offset the big reduction in physical activity? Or would that be harmful?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 12:33pm

Style: MT and judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd be surprised if you noticed much atrophy after only one week off. Depending on how you've been training you may even find your lifts have improved a little when you get back to it.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 12:49pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think it'll be much of a problem to not lift for a week. I've even seen some people on bodybuilding.com recommend taking a week off from time to time, like at the end of a 3 month cycle of lifting. The idea I guess is that your muscles need lots of rest to recuperate so as to grow, and the extra rest will promote additional growth (though I haven't tested this theory). Also, many body builders and weight lifters respond well only exercizing a muscle once a week, so missing a week of training for such people would only be like missing one workout (per muscle), which I doubt would cause any harm.

As far as your diet, it's hard to know without knowing what your current diet is like and what your goals are. If you're really worried, you could establish what your maintenance caloric intake would be for you with a reduced activity level (there are calculators online for that kind of thing), and just go with that number (or 500-1000 calories less or more if you are trying to lose or gain weight).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 5:42pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You could always do what the expert says (the doctor) and not exercise for a week.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 6:30pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah, but that wouldn't be very punk rawk.

Posted On:
    8/31/2009 3:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MBriefcase View Post
    yeah, but that wouldn't be very punk rawk.
    A cool pus dripping infection would be punk rock to the max.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2009 3:58pm

Style: Brawling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I highly recommend the reverse cowgirl for your exercise needs. Just lay back and relax and let the girl do all the work :)

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/31/2009 4:27pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom .C View Post
    A cool pus dripping infection would be punk rock to the max.
    see, he gets it!

When the nurse told me no strenuous activity for a week, I was skeptical a) because she couldn't tell me why, and II) because all they were doing was cutting a small piece of skin off and cauterizing it, so I didn't understand why exercise would hurt it.

But no, instead of doing the stupid awesome thing and saying '**** that' (ANARCHY!) I talked to the surgeon this morning and apparently elevating my heart rate too high can increase the risk of bleeding and slow healing time. So it looks like reverse cowgirl from here on out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2009 6:29pm

Style: ex-BJJ, ex-TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    see, he gets it!

When the nurse told me no strenuous activity for a week, I was skeptical a) because she couldn't tell me why, and II) because all they were doing was cutting a small piece of skin off and cauterizing it, so I didn't understand why exercise would hurt it.

But no, instead of doing the stupid awesome thing and saying '**** that' (ANARCHY!) I talked to the surgeon this morning and apparently elevating my heart rate too high can increase the risk of bleeding and slow healing time. So it looks like reverse cowgirl from here on out.
    correct. the nose has high vascularization(blood vessels), that's why nose bleed happens when it's too hot.

you can do very light limb stretching and ROM(range of motion exercises). but as soon you start to sweat, ease off.

the nurse doesn't know post-op teachings like that? what is the world coming to?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/01/2009 12:37am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    see, he gets it!

Did you also ask if they thought you were going to need any packing afterwords? If so, then you will want to take it easier for longer. Either way you most likely will have a piece of gauze taped under your nose that needs to be changed frequently. Two or three days till the bleeding stops all the way and you should be fine to do what the above poster said.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast