Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 7:13am

Style: Shotokan, Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

MMA and Slipping Punches

I have a lot of respect for MMA fighters...tough bastards but each time I watch a fight I wonder why they are so weak in slipping punches. Then I wonder why they miss punches so often.

Is the the nature of the game do to the distance one must keep due to other weapons being available or is it just a lack of training specifically in that area?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 10:37am

Style: Bas Rutten tapes

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it is probably a little bit of both. An MMA fighter has a lot more things to think about and be watching for in a fight than a boxer does. The stances in MMA also might not be as good for slipping punches as a typical boxing stance because they have to be prepared for leg kicks, takedowns etc.

I think your second point is valid also. I haven't seen terribly many MMA fighters who have really high level boxing, but their training has to cover a lot more bases than a boxers training.

That being said, anderson Silva is pretty sweet when it comes to dodging punches.

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 10:45am

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The prblem is you can/t slip punches by bobbing and weaving so much because you might duck into a kick...deflecting punches is more practical.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 11:05am

Style: BJJ, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That and the risk of getting hit is much more with the tiny little gloves versus the 16 oz gloves a boxer will wear. It doesn't take much to knock someone out with the little gloves they have. There is also no padding on the shins and knees. Deflecting is a more conservative strategy. I haven't seen many MMA fighters trade blows with each other like boxers do for obvious reasons. Any punch or kick can be an instant KO or takedown if they are not careful and they usually just can't streamroll in like a Tyson or Joe Frazier because of the clinch game and takedowns. Isn't the hit rate higher for MMA bouts vs. Boxing bouts?

The only two guys I've seen that can avoid punches like that are Anderson Silva and Machica. Perhaps if more pro boxers turned MMA and got really good at grappling as well so they wouldn't be afraid of being taken down we might see more about it. Anderson Silva is pretty much the closest MMA has right now.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 11:26am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guys like Silva and MAchida are good at slipping bunches because

Silva has a laser guided missile jab and killer clinch the keeps people from getting close so he can see whats coming.

Machida is similar but uses awkward foot sweeps and throws anytime someone comes in close range

Both guys force their opponents to fight from the outside so the have a better look.

Other MMA fighters like to fight inside and clinch and whwn you add the knees elbows and takedowns it means you don't get the same look at the punches and makes it harder to slip

IMO

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 5:24pm

Style: MT, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJ Penn and Marcus Davis are pretty good at dodging punches as well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 6:27pm

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by newbie999 View Post
    That and the risk of getting hit is much more with the tiny little gloves versus the 16 oz gloves a boxer will wear.
    It is a misconception that pro boxing matches are held with 16oz gloves. Pro bouts up to Middleweight (160lbs) are held with 8oz gloves, anything above 160lbs. are held with 10oz gloves. No sanctioned fights are held with anything higher then 10oz (at least to my knowledge).

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 7:39pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theword View Post
    It is a misconception that pro boxing matches are held with 16oz gloves. Pro bouts up to Middleweight (160lbs) are held with 8oz gloves, anything above 160lbs. are held with 10oz gloves. No sanctioned fights are held with anything higher then 10oz (at least to my knowledge).
    Are the 16 OZ's at least Used for amateur?

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 9:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    16oz may be used for some amateur bouts, but when i did boxing in college we always used 12s or 14s.

I think the distance explanation is pretty dead on, with a further distance from your opponent, a lot of punches are already out of range (no need for slipping), and with the exception of silva/machida, by the time you get in slipping range, most guys are looking for the clinch or takedown. If they're not, they're probably just looking to swing anyway (no need for slipping).

Posted On:
    8/31/2009 1:25am

Style: MT, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sley View Post
    Are the 16 OZ's at least Used for amateur?
    Nope. I used 10s or 12s for bouts. 16s for sparring though.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast