Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 12:08am

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

High Desert MMA Gyms: Which One?

Okay, I'm subjected to an break from Silat for an undefined period of time so I'm looking around and I have some options within a 10-15min drive.

Tyson Johnson's Universal Grappling Academy

Joe Stevenson's Cobra Kai

Mateo Academy of Self Defense (apparently they do Muay Thai, BJJ, and some Dan Inosanto material)

Bullet Hole Training Center
    (seriously good Muay Thai w/ Craig Buchanan, also BJJ and Judo, I don't know who teaches that)

Thomas Denny's Universal Training Facility (this is closest to me, 3-4 minute drive)

These are the closest to me. Anyone have any experience with any of these? Thanks.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 3:56pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyone willing to weigh in their .02 on these choices?
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."

is a Godd*mn Federale!

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 5:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Clinchology: Judo & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude View Post
    Anyone willing to weigh in their .02 on these choices?
    Doubtful that anyone has any experience with these gyms, because the Inland Empire sucks.

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 9:15pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ka-Bar View Post
    Doubtful that anyone has any experience with these gyms, because the Inland Empire sucks.
    Your little opinion on geography is cute, I guess, but as I'm a transplant from Seattle, it has little to no effect.

Okay, back to the actual question at hand. You have NO OPINION on any of the gyms mentioned? Nothin' useful? Just "West Side!" type bullshit?

is a Godd*mn Federale!

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 10:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your little opinion on geography is cute, I guess, but as I'm a transplant from Seattle, it has little to no effect.

Okay, back to the actual question at hand. You have NO OPINION on any of the gyms mentioned? Nothin' useful? Just "West Side!" type bullshit?
    I'm just giving you a hard time. What on earth prompted you to leave Seattle for the desert?

Never been impressed with Thomas Denny.

Joe Stevenson's place seems like it would be a good choice, but it's really going to depend on who the assistant instructors are as Joe will probably be spending a lot of time at Greg Jackson's. That said, I would be willing to bet that anyone Joe Stevenson brings in to teach grappling is at least a BJJ blackbelt under Mark Laimon and probably a multiple-time NAGA or Grappler's Quest champ.

I don't know who Tyson Johnson is, but his school claims to teach Olympic Wrestling, Judo, Jiu Jitsu, Krav-Maga, Kick Boxing, and Sambo, but as far as I can tell, Tyson's only verifiable credentials are in amateur wrestling and some MMA bouts.

Mateo Academy seems like a good choice if you're interested in FMA and MT, but I didn't see anything about any grappling.

None of these goddamn places have a decent webpage, if they have one at all to tell you anything about instructor credentials.

What do you want to concentrate on? Grappling? Go with Cobra Kai. MT? Go with Bullet Hole. FMA? Go with Mateo Academy.

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 10:41pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm just giving you a hard time. What on earth prompted you to leave Seattle for the desert?
    Actually, I left Seattle for the Navy and San Diego/Orange County, then North Carolina, then Minneapolis, then Japan (again as a civilian), then Texas, & finally Victorville.

Never been impressed with Thomas Denny.
    Okay. Why? (I have no experience with anyone up here, so...)

Joe Stevenson's place seems like it would be a good choice, but it's really going to depend on who the assistant instructors are as Joe will probably be spending a lot of time at Greg Jackson's. That said, I would be willing to bet that anyone Joe Stevenson brings in to teach grappling is at least a BJJ blackbelt under Mark Laimon and probably a multiple-time NAGA or Grappler's Quest champ.
    Yeah, I like their gym, but unless I want to sign a year or two contract, it's $185 a month & that seems a little fucking excessive to me.

I don't know who Tyson Johnson is, but his school claims to teach Olympic Wrestling, Judo, Jiu Jitsu, Krav-Maga, Kick Boxing, and Sambo, but as far as I can tell, Tyson's only verifiable credentials are in amateur wrestling and some MMA bouts.
    Yeah, I'm not sure about that place, I just listed it because I've heard of it, it's across the street from the Bullet Hole & if they deliver even half of what they advertise it's probably pretty good.

Mateo Academy seems like a good choice if you're interested in FMA and MT, but I didn't see anything about any grappling.

None of these goddamn places have a decent webpage, if they have one at all to tell you anything about instructor credentials.

What do you want to concentrate on? Grappling? Go with Cobra Kai. MT? Go with Bullet Hole. FMA? Go with Mateo Academy.
    I'm mostly interested in grappling & ground/BJJ, as that's my main interest right now, but if the Bullet Hole has someone good for BJJ and Judo, I don't see how that could be a losing proposition, especially if Craig Buchanan is working on a program to combine his Muay Thai experience with some good grappling. Grabbing that tiger by the tail could be the last thing you ever did.
    I think that I'm gonna look further into the Cobra Kai and Bullet Hole gyms & depending on what happens at the Bullet Hole I'll have more information.

is a Godd*mn Federale!

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 11:03pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, I left Seattle for the Navy and San Diego/Orange County, then North Carolina, then Minneapolis, then Japan (again as a civilian), then Texas, & finally Victorville.
    Recruiter?

Okay. Why? (I have no experience with anyone up here, so...)
    He's a tough MFer, but not impressive technically at all. I just don't know what you could learn at his gym that you couldn't learn better at any of the others.

Yeah, I like their gym, but unless I want to sign a year or two contract, it's $185 a month & that seems a little fucking excessive to me.
    That seems like a lot, but you're paying for name recognition. If you're training seriously like 5 times a week and looking to fight or compete, it's a bargain. If you can only make it twice a week, you're not going to get your money's worth.

Yeah, I'm not sure about that place, I just listed it because I've heard of it, it's across the street from the Bullet Hole & if they deliver even half of what they advertise it's probably pretty good.
    That place would be badass if they had legitimate instructors teaching what they claim to teach. Judging by the website, I seriously doubt it, though.

I'm mostly interested in grappling & ground/BJJ, as that's my main interest right now, but if the Bullet Hole has someone good for BJJ and Judo, I don't see how that could be a losing proposition, especially if Craig Buchanan is working on a program to combine his Muay Thai experience with some good grappling. Grabbing that tiger by the tail could be the last thing you ever did.
    I think that I'm gonna look further into the Cobra Kai and Bullet Hole gyms & depending on what happens at the Bullet Hole I'll have more information.
    Yeah, find out who's teaching the grappling at Bullet Hole and let us know.

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    8/31/2009 3:58am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Recruiter?
    Me? **** No. Hospital Corpsman (8404)

He's a tough MFer, but not impressive technically at all. I just don't know what you could learn at his gym that you couldn't learn better at any of the others.
    Okay, that helps a bit.

That seems like a lot, but you're paying for name recognition. If you're training seriously like 5 times a week and looking to fight or compete, it's a bargain. If you can only make it twice a week, you're not going to get your money's worth.
    Yeah, that's another problem for me, I'm trying to finish up my teaching credentials at CSUSB and most of the classes are night classes during the week so I'm not sure what my schedule's going to look like this fall quarter. That will definitely affect my decision.

Yeah, find out who's teaching the grappling at Bullet Hole and let us know.
    I'm gonna try to contact them tomorrow & find out who's doing the Judo and BJJ, their credentials and pedigree etc. I'll bring it back here or the BJJ forum.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    9/01/2009 1:00am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, went to Bullet Hole today and ended up talking to Craig Buchanan for a while. He's got a great vibe, very down to earth & personable. They have boxing & kickboxing with a ring and a mess of long bags, kempo (of some sort), Judo and BJJ, plus a rock climbing wall and a small gym with machines and free weights.
    The guy that teaches Judo is a shodan, Mike Donnelly(sp?), and BJJ is taught by a purple belt Art Reese(sp?). Either way, I think it's the gym for me, as soon as I get my student loans for the fall quarter I'm starting over there, sometime in the next month. The prices are a hella more reasonable than most places around here, Joe Stevenson's Cobra Kai's asking twice what Craig charges for full access. Plus, he seems like he really loves teaching & knows he's not gonna get rich off of it but still does it anyways. You gotta respect that.
    It's settled, I'll be doing Muay Thai and BJJ at the Bullet Hole next month.
    Wish me Luck!!!

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    9/19/2009 2:47am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, I went & signed up today at the Bullet Hole gym after I cashed my student loan check. Classes start Monday but tomorrow's an "open training day" so I'm gonna go over there in the morning and work out anyway, maybe talk to some of the folks & introduce myself, hit the bags some. Needless to say I'm excited!