Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 289101112 1314 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2009 8:39am

Style: HEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From what I understand, the sabre came to replace the thrusting blades in most branches as early as the mid 18th century. The Preussan infantery introduced the sabre even earlier and their sabres were soon introduced in Sweden aswell as in many other countries.

Wouldn't it be fair to say that the sabre came to be a sign of rank and therefore spread along several branches, the artillery, navy and infantery? Even the Swedish police had sabres, and used them, up until 1966. Not sure about how they trained though...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2009 9:10am

Style: Bowie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimnir69 View Post
    From what I understand, the sabre came to replace the thrusting blades in most branches as early as the mid 18th century. The Preussan infantery introduced the sabre even earlier and their sabres were soon introduced in Sweden aswell as in many other countries.

Wouldn't it be fair to say that the sabre came to be a sign of rank and therefore spread along several branches, the artillery, navy and infantery?
    I could accept that, yes. The point being, still, that the Military Saber was not the exclusive purview of Mounted combat. There's just too many examples of foot sabers and especially foot instructional manuals to the contrary.

Even the Swedish police had sabres, and used them, up until 1966. Not sure about how they trained though...
    Yes, I've seen some examples here and there online and in books. IMS, Germany and some of the other continental European police forces also. I've seen a reproduced article on a German (ims) police force (forget which city) drilling with Singlesticks. A gentleman on the MyArmory forums was kind enough to post these, iirc.

Singlesticks were one of the most common ways for Militaries and LEOs to train the Military Saber. EJMAS has one or two nice articles on British "Grand Assaults" in which Singlestick competitions and training drills were exhibited to the public (along with test cutting demonstrations of mounted saber against the "turks head" and unmounted, severing whole sheep carcasses as well as against moving pell targets).

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2009 3:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to add to what you are saying, if you scroll down here a bit, you can find two examples of Swedish Sabre manuals, one for the cavallery, which is mixed with on foot fencing, and one for the infantry.

http://www.hroarr.com/manuscripts_sabre.html

Look for

Instruktion_i_sabelfaktning_till_fots_1893.pdf

http://www.hroarr.com/manuals/sabre-cutlass-broadsword-rapier/Instruktion_i_sabelfaektning_till_fots_1893.pdf

Instruktion_i_sabelfaektning_foer_kavalleriet_1892 .pdf

http://www.hroarr.com/manuals/sabre-cutlass-broadsword-rapier/Instruktion_i_sabelfaektning_foer_kavalleriet_1892 .pdf

Btw, if you have any more manuals that you think I should add to this site, then please don't hesitate to email me. :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2009 3:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimnir69 View Post
    Just to add to what you are saying, if you scroll down here a bit, you can find two examples of Swedish Sabre manuals, one for the cavallery, which is mixed with on foot fencing, and one for the infantry.

http://www.hroarr.com/manuscripts_sabre.html

Look for

Instruktion_i_sabelfaktning_till_fots_1893.pdf

http://www.hroarr.com/manuals/sabre-cutlass-broadsword-rapier/Instruktion_i_sabelfaektning_till_fots_1893.pdf

Instruktion_i_sabelfaektning_foer_kavalleriet_1892 .pdf

http://www.hroarr.com/manuals/sabre-cutlass-broadsword-rapier/Instruktion_i_sabelfaektning_foer_kavalleriet_1892 .pdf
    Thanks heaps! I'll check it out when I've a chance.

Btw, if you have any more manuals that you think I should add to this site, then please don't hesitate to email me. :)
    I'll see what I can rummage up that fits.

BTW, I think it is Kelton's Bayonet manual that has a section on how to use a saber against a Bayonet. I'm pretty sure similar material shows up in a few other places as well; I've just not given it enough attention yet.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2009 3:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lklawson View Post
    Thanks heaps! I'll check it out when I've a chance.

I'll see what I can rummage up that fits.

BTW, I think it is Kelton's Bayonet manual that has a section on how to use a saber against a Bayonet. I'm pretty sure similar material shows up in a few other places as well; I've just not given it enough attention yet.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk
    I haven't really read these through yet, but there is at least one illustration of sabre vs bayonet in one of them. One of our trainers teaches military sabre and is very familiar with these two. I got them from him.
    Last edited by Grimnir69; 9/03/2009 3:41pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2009 4:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [quote=lklawson;2210603]I'll see what I can rummage up that fits./quote]

Actually, I am interested in anything Hema related up until the 1940's something... :)

I try to add as much material as possible at the Hroarr site. I will be adding a searchable database and a few other interesting additions soon.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2009 6:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [quote=Grimnir69;2210680]
    Quote Originally Posted by lklawson View Post
    I'll see what I can rummage up that fits./quote]

Actually, I am interested in anything Hema related up until the 1940's something... :)

I try to add as much material as possible at the Hroarr site. I will be adding a searchable database and a few other interesting additions soon.

I see that you have my original Pepper saber manual from back when I just did a PDF of the raw scans. Why don't you go ahead and dl the one I have at my Lulu store? I've transcribed the text so it's searchable, converted the long S's, and digitally retouched the pics.

Provided that you don't charge for it or remove my foreword/notes it's all leagal.

Now, about those Sweedish sabre manuals, if I could get permission from the C holder, I'd love to work with you on an English translation repub.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk (from mobile)

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    9/03/2009 8:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whi8le the saber grew in popularity and thus became something people trained for in un mounted combat, it was more due to the fact that Army officers / aid de camps were mounted.

To my knowledge there is no significant battle in military annals where the Saber played any significant role outside of use by the cavalry.

Your average foot soldier had a musket or carbine and bayonet, the sergeants in the British army often had Sponton's or Halberd

The commissioned officers had sword and mostly used the to Point or signal.

Again the saber's only significant role in warfare was in the cavalry charge.

It makes sense for officers to know how to use a saber both mounted and un mounted but it still remains in technology and style a mounted weapon even with manuals and adaptations

Look at the "Hanger" guard in Saber fencing (I hope I git the term right) It's ideal for lunging down, forward slashing and back slashing from a horse

Even Pattons Saber manual shows the connection between the mounted and un mounted attacks

http://www.scribd.com/doc/7788830/Saber-Exercise

Again regardless of adaptation in both technique, technology and historical use the Saber is primarily a cavalry weapon

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    9/03/2009 9:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So lets all watch clips from the greatest saber dueling movie EVER

Cause movies show us how it was

YouTube - The Duellists

Unfortunately the extend saber foot fight was deleted

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2009 9:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - Joe View Post
    So lets all watch clips from the greatest saber dueling movie EVER

Cause movies show us how it was
    I enjoyed the very first duel, which was with sabers. The smallsword duel was decent entertainment. The saber duel in the basement (or whatever it was) I enjoyed the most. I hated the horse duel and found the rest of the movie extremely irritating. The main character has a girlfriend who just mysteriously drops out of the story line.

But, yeah, a few of the duels were entertaining. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 289101112 1314 LastLast