U.S. Army

Posted On:
    9/01/2009 5:39am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, CMA, & more

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dale,

I'm curious... I no longer study "internally," as I frankly no longer believe in the existence of qi in the manner most typically discussed, represented, or offered by the IMA community.

That being said, with your regimen (having done a little IP "back in the day"), how long does your training period last?

Our school did a number of physical training exercises to develop muscular strength in the hands/forearms, but the striking training was, for the most part, 100 days of 50 reps slap/back of the hand/knife-edge of the hand. "Crane's beak" strikes and claws into the bag were also included, but semi-optional. For 100 days - bag full of corn or beans; next 100 days - sand; last 100 days - steel shot (no lead). We had a formula (I'd post it, but my notes aren't with me here in Baghdad) that we'd apply before, during, and after training.

Just curious what your thoughts on the subject might be...

Good training.

Nothing for Show, All for use

Posted On:
    9/01/2009 10:47am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Dale Dugas Herbs: The Best Chinese Herbs & The Best Jow for the Best Price! Style: Jook Lum South Mantis,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Matt,

first off let me say Thank You for being over there and doing what needs to be done.

IP programs usually last 100 days to set the foundation that will then be used to train the skills.

I was taught to train the 200 strikes(50 per anatomical weapon) twice per day for one year and then again for another year once a day. There are some serious amounts of qi gong before you stand for a period of time then tapping the hands on the bag. I started with shot from day one. You can do the gradual method as well. Medicine was applied before during and after as well.

So two years to set the skill into your brain/body/spirit. After that you can train it whenever you like.

I too has some issues with people who say they can use Qi to move people, things, etc. Qi is married to blood and if you can increase the blood flow to areas of your body you are increasing the Qi flow. that said it does not help you to hit harder, move people or kill for a distance. you need to train the structure of the body and learn the routes of motion that will deliver said energy to a target.

You can train IP all you want and if you do not train all the other skills needed as a competent Martial Arts practitioner, you will not be able to use it.

Be safe over there brother. Let me know if you ever pass through Boston on your way back.

Would love to buy you a beer.

U.S. Army

Posted On:
    9/01/2009 1:33pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, CMA, & more

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    first off let me say Thank You for being over there and doing what needs to be done.
    Well, that's awfully nice of you, but I certainly didn't volunteer to come over here... I mean, I did (since I was given a choice whether to deploy or not, so I chose to accompany my platoon mates), but my unit had orders, so I really didn't...

As for "doing what needs to be done," if by that you mean "disciplining the shitheads in our own forces that can't manage to play by the rules, and as such distract everyone else from doing what needs to be done," then that's certainly what I do. Otherwise, my opinion only, my contributions to "the war" are minimal at best.

IP programs usually last 100 days to set the foundation that will then be used to train the skills.

I was taught to train the 200 strikes(50 per anatomical weapon) twice per day for one year and then again for another year once a day. There are some serious amounts of qi gong before you stand for a period of time then tapping the hands on the bag. I started with shot from day one. You can do the gradual method as well. Medicine was applied before during and after as well.

So two years to set the skill into your brain/body/spirit. After that you can train it whenever you like.
    Yeah, mostly the same concepts I was brought up with... We'd do a butt-load of qigong to "move the qi" to the hands and arms, then wash with jow, then slap bags, do other exercises to strengthen the hands/arms, wash with jow again, more qigong, call it a day.

I did the slapping for about a month without qigong and though I don't believe in most qigong things these days, I did get a case of the shits that remains perhaps the single nastiest experience I've ever had...

I too has some issues with people who say they can use Qi to move people, things, etc. Qi is married to blood and if you can increase the blood flow to areas of your body you are increasing the Qi flow. that said it does not help you to hit harder, move people or kill for a distance. you need to train the structure of the body and learn the routes of motion that will deliver said energy to a target.
    See, I can remove qigong from the equation entirely and arrive at "proper structure and generation of power = what people used to call qi or qi-jing" and not need the metaphysical stuff at all... I've actually gotten better in what I do by eliminating the qigong... Ah, well, to each their own. Many paths and all that...

You can train IP all you want and if you do not train all the other skills needed as a competent Martial Arts practitioner, you will not be able to use it.
    Amen. There were folks back in the day who really thought all they had to do was slap one of those fancy bags full of beans that AWMA used to sell... Too bad their structure, base, and power generation were crap to begin with. Tough hands didn't help 'em at all...

Be safe over there brother. Let me know if you ever pass through Boston on your way back.

Would love to buy you a beer.
    Consider that offer accepted... I might have to make a trip that way just to get the beer!

Be well, friend.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12