Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/28/2009 4:26pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: San shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Iron Palm Liniments

I'm beginning iron palm training, and I was told that instead of using si sou fang (hand washing liniment) before practicing, I could just use jow. Is this legit? Or should I scrape together the cash for the fang every month?

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    8/28/2009 5:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MBriefcase View Post
    I'm beginning iron palm training, and I was told that instead of using si sou fang (hand washing liniment) before practicing, I could just use jow. Is this legit? Or should I scrape together the cash for the fang every month?
    1) what does your sifu say? is he the one to tell you to just use jow, or was it from a training brother? i have heard some crazy garbage out of the mouths of training brothers (and even some sifus, but i digress.)

2) there are a lot of formulas out there, what are you using?

3) what is your IP training regimen? what contents in the bag (mung beans? steel shot? tapioca pudding?) and in what way are you progressing?

4) forum member dale dugas knows more about IP training than anyone on the forum, and in the past he has stated that using the proper IP liniment is very important. i hope he will join in on this thread as well.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/28/2009 6:11pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To add hopefully, you aren't doing this on your own. If so, you need to stop.

No, we aren't going to get into another debate on whether it works or not. This is based on any MA training, you can't do it all by yourself you need proper guidance.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    8/28/2009 6:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try contacting member Dale Dugas. That's his area.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    8/28/2009 6:36pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/28/2009 7:12pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My sifu told me I could use jow before, during and after practice. He was told that by the guy who makes his jow, so I sensed a bit of a vested interest there. My jow formula is as follows:

Fu Zi--30 gm

Ban Xia--30 gm
    Di Gu Pi--60 gm
    Bai Bu--60 gm
    Long Gu--30 gm (optional--this is heat-treated cow bone (dragon bone))
    Tian Nan Xing--30 gm
    Hong Hua--30 gm
    She Chuang Zi--30 gm
    Chuan Xiong--30 gm
    Hua Jiao--15 gm
    San Qi--15 gm
    Xue Jie--30 gm
    Ru Xiang--30 gm
    Mo Yao--30 gm
    Ding Xiang--30 gm
    Dang Gui--30 gm
    Da Huang--15 gm
    Add separately after cooking:
    Camphor/Borneol Crystals--15 gm
    Menthol Crystals--15 gm

My IP regimen involves stretching, warm ups and qi gong, then 45 minutes of hitting the bag, then 15 minutes of massaging my hands with the jow. I tried PMing Dale, but I don't have sufficient user privaleges, so I was hoping he'd join this thread.

I read as many threads on IP as I could find, but I haven't read the one Snake linked yet, so I'll get to that. I'm not so much interested in whether or even how IP works (I've slogged through the many threads involving that) just if it's ok to replace the si sou fang with jow.

Nothing for Show, All for use

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 5:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Jook Lum South Mantis,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Brothers,

Just back in from a weekend long seminar and Im bushed, I will chime in again soon.

Until then great to see others training iron skills.

Posted On:
    8/31/2009 9:32am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MBriefcase View Post
    My sifu told me I could use jow before, during and after practice. He was told that by the guy who makes his jow, so I sensed a bit of a vested interest there. My jow formula is as follows:

Fu Zi--30 gm

Ban Xia--30 gm
    Di Gu Pi--60 gm
    Bai Bu--60 gm
    Long Gu--30 gm (optional--this is heat-treated cow bone (dragon bone))
    Tian Nan Xing--30 gm
    Hong Hua--30 gm
    She Chuang Zi--30 gm
    Chuan Xiong--30 gm
    Hua Jiao--15 gm
    San Qi--15 gm
    Xue Jie--30 gm
    Ru Xiang--30 gm
    Mo Yao--30 gm
    Ding Xiang--30 gm
    Dang Gui--30 gm
    Da Huang--15 gm
    Add separately after cooking:
    Camphor/Borneol Crystals--15 gm--NIX THIS HERB
    Menthol Crystals--15 gm--NIX THIS HERB

My IP regimen involves stretching, warm ups and qi gong, then 45 minutes of hitting the bag, then 15 minutes of massaging my hands with the jow. I tried PMing Dale, but I don't have sufficient user privaleges, so I was hoping he'd join this thread.

I read as many threads on IP as I could find, but I haven't read the one Snake linked yet, so I'll get to that. I'm not so much interested in whether or even how IP works (I've slogged through the many threads involving that) just if it's ok to replace the si sou fang with jow.
    Hey there,

I wanted to let you know that there are many different methods to train Iron Palm, some of the harsher than others. Using a wash before you train your hands, the Sai Sou Fang is not limited to just IP but can be used in Iron Claw training as well.

I have 2 formulas that can be used as a pre soak for training of the hands not matter the program to be used. I sell one and could be coaxed to sell the other....

But back to the question about NEEDING to use the Sai Sou Fang versus just Iron Palm Medicine/Jow. IMHO you do not NEED to use the wash, but they are nice to use in the colder months to help warm up the energy and the tendons/ligaments of the hands before tapping the bag.

Also hitting bags for long periods of time is rather silly. You do not need to beat your hands for 45 minutes if you are a beginner.

I train using 200 strikes, that is all I practice on my shot bag. that is 50 palm strikes, 50 back of the hand, 50 knife edge and 50 short palm strikes. I do that number as long as it takes me.

I started with ten reps per hand position and worked up to the 50 each.

No need to just stand there and hit your hand when you can get it done with less reps and less time spent.

But that is something you would have to discuss with your teacher.

Who do you train with by the way?

The formula given is decent but I would nix the last two ingrediants and add two others that are not included. Add 30 gr of Shen Jin Cao and 24 gr of Hai Feng Teng, these two herbs will help open the channels and help the energy and blood flow better making that formula work better.

Feel free to ask questions or email me off forum at info@ironpalm.net

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/31/2009 5:41pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dale, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I've already made my jow, and it's aging in my basement. Would it still be beneficial to add the two herbs you mentioned? And is the soak you mentioned the Red Phoenix Soak sold on the CDIA Web site?

Posted On:
    9/01/2009 4:21am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, you can add the herbs I mentioned to any Iron palm jow to help open the channels.

And you are correct that the red phoenix is the soak I sell.

Let me know how I can be of service.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast