232293 Bullies, 4042 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 11 to 20 of 328
Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Coach Josh is offline
    Coach Josh's Avatar

    Silent Guardian

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    2,184

    Posted On:
    8/28/2009 9:26am

    Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I give you the following:
    Kuchiki Taioshi


    Kibisu Gaeshi


    Sukui Nage


    Kata Guruma



    All of these techniques are a staple to high level Judo. I think its a travesty that they are banning techniques. I just want to put out there this is not the Japanese but the Europeans who are doing this. If it is allowed it will be because the Euros allowed it.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.
  2. cam4276 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Donegal, Ireland
    Posts
    310

    Posted On:
    8/28/2009 9:27am


     Style: MMA / BJJ / Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Many View Post
    It seems like any INITIAL attack ...
    And yet when i asked my instructor if i could do an uchi-mata (sp?) and then when we were bent over standing on one leg reach across and take the far foot/ankle to assist the throw he said no.
  3. 2Many is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    119

    Posted On:
    8/28/2009 9:34am


     Style: Legalese

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cam4276 View Post
    And yet when i asked my instructor if i could do an uchi-mata (sp?) and then when we were bent over standing on one leg reach across and take the far foot/ankle to assist the throw he said no.
    Perhaps that's because you were attempting to use the leg grab to assist your initial attack? Your initial attack was Uchi Mata, right?

    It seems like an overly conservative interpretation, but it's possible that the initial attack must be devoid of any leg grabbing, and that grabbing a leg/legs is only allowed once the initial attack has failed and you are following up with a combination.

    The EU Judo press release gives the example of Ouchi followed by Kata Guruma. So clearly, follow-up attacks can involve a direct grab to the leg. It's probably that the initial throwing technique cannot involve a leg grab.
  4. OSPF is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Germantown, Maryland
    Posts
    152

    Posted On:
    8/28/2009 9:37am


     Style: Sōsetsuken

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    Evidence to bold? I think the change was just due to them not liking "them Bee Jay Jay ers with them there Bazillion accents n stuff" coming in with a hunched-over posture and wrecking people's ****.
    How many shias have you been in ? "Hunch" players more often than not are the ones who are being tossed.

    I wouldn't worry about the these new rules. They are in the testing phase and i doubt they will make it past that. These guys are basically asking players ranging from local tourneys to international competition to fundamentally change how they play. I can see only two things happening, either the rules will be scrapped because people will lose by shido left and right, or they will largely be ignored, then scrapped.
  5. Tom .C is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,126

    Posted On:
    8/28/2009 9:41am

    Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OSPF View Post
    How many shias have you been in ? "Hunch" players more often than not are the ones who are being tossed.

    I wouldn't worry about the these new rules. They are in the testing phase and i doubt they will make it past that. These guys are basically asking players ranging from local tourneys to international competition to fundamentally change how they play. I can see only two things happening, either the rules will be scrapped because people will lose by shido left and right, or they will largely be ignored, then scrapped.
    I also believe this is the way it will go. It just surprises me that somehow, someone was able to implement a change so fundementally wrong. Why is that person even allowed near this sport?
  6. 2Many is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    119

    Posted On:
    8/28/2009 9:44am


     Style: Legalese

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    More than anything else, I'm surprised that the IJF would even consider a rule that will strike out a good chunk of techniques from the Gokyo waza. They are Judo's core techniques. If they can't be used in shiai, then what?!
  7. OSPF is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Germantown, Maryland
    Posts
    152

    Posted On:
    8/28/2009 9:49am


     Style: Sōsetsuken

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom .C View Post
    I also believe this is the way it will go. It just surprises me that somehow, someone was able to implement a change so fundementally wrong. Why is that person even allowed near this sport?
    Why do I have some jackass at my primary club lying his ass off about being a seichie dan, who BTW has some of the shittiest Judo I have seen in some time?

    He is probably in his early to mid forties, basically unknown, but he supposedly holds a legitimate red belt ?(and he sucks)

    I have, and probably always will be of the opinion of "Judo Uber Alles"....but sometimes I see **** in the Judo community that leaves me flabbergasted....
  8. Tom .C is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,126

    Posted On:
    8/28/2009 9:57am

    Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OSPF View Post
    I have, and probably always will be of the opinion of "Judo Uber Alles"....but sometimes I see **** in the Judo community that leaves me flabbergasted....
    Amen...
  9. cam4276 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Donegal, Ireland
    Posts
    310

    Posted On:
    8/28/2009 10:26am


     Style: MMA / BJJ / Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find these quotes from the IJF to be pretty astonishing

    “We don´t want our sport to be mixed with other martial arts. Judo is judo,
    ...
    The IJF concern is that more and more often, wrestling and sambo techniques are seen during judo combats."

    Does this mean that we can expect to see wrestling take out any throws that may be perceived as Judo? /sarcasm

    Seriously, they are combat sports that focus on grips and throws, of course they will be similar.
  10. 1point2 is offline
    1point2's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,148

    Posted On:
    8/28/2009 10:53am

    Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cam4276 View Post
    “We don´t want our sport to be mixed with other martial arts. Judo is judo,
    ...
    The IJF concern is that more and more often, wrestling and sambo techniques are seen during judo combats."
    This is the heart of the matter. They want to see tai-otoshi, seoinage, osotogari, uchimata, haraigoshi, ouchigari. Anything else, regardless of whether it's judo or not (and it is judo!), is not ideal in their eyes.

    They want ippon-style judo. This extends to even disliking throws like kouchigari, because it doesn't produce a big slam ippon, but rather a slipped-on-the-ice ippon. This mentality is precisely similar to wing chun and taiji players who try to mandate what combat within the ruleset should look like. It doesn't work like that! You make a ruleset, and multiple fighting styles (methodologies/approachs, not kung fu/karate styles) compete within it. The fast and light versus the slow and plodding versus the counterthrower versus the walking mountain versus the hyperactive attacking judoka. The pick-up artist, the osotogari specialist, the foot sweeper, the hip thrower, the seoinage technician. All are judo, but each has their own style.

    It's fine to want ippon-style judo. It's ridiculous to try to ban certain techniques because A) they work and B) you don't like them.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates
Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.