Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2009 6:26am

Style: Bas Rutten tapes

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hypnosis in marital arts training?

Hello all,

As a psychology student, part of my training has been in the use of hypnosis to help individuals cope with/reduce chronic or acute problems with pain. Results may vary depending on an individuals hypnotic abilities.

Has anyone of ever heard of a martial artisits or athlete using hypnosis, self-hypnosis, or meditation to help deal with the pain of an injury, or to prepare for the pain of being punched/kicked/thrown repeatedly?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/28/2009 6:32am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MT, G-R Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Apparently the late Andy Hug was a big advocate of meditation. It's an interesting concept though.

This is all I do: girls, photography and BJJ...

Posted On:
    8/28/2009 6:39am

Join us... or die
     Style: KeyboardHero/CameraJutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I only heard of it in terms of preparing the fighters, being more relaxed/focused and cope with anxiety, mental pressure. But for simple pain? No, sorry.
    Sometimes you lose and sometimes the other guy wins.

At this point I don't owe anybody an explenation.

Schools I trained at:
    Lotus Club Cetepe Liberdade Sao Paulo
    Renzo Gracie NYC
    New York Combat Sambo

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2009 6:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I realize that it sounds pretty wierd and bullshido-tastic, but there is really a pretty extensive scientific literature backing up the effectiveness of using hypnotic interventions for pain reduction and coping. The only real controversy now is WHY and HOW it works.

This is all I do: girls, photography and BJJ...

Posted On:
    8/28/2009 7:05am

Join us... or die
     Style: KeyboardHero/CameraJutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know it is used with dentists in the US, gotta check that out, but again, I never heard of any relevance in terms of MAs.
    Sometimes you lose and sometimes the other guy wins.

At this point I don't owe anybody an explenation.

Schools I trained at:
    Lotus Club Cetepe Liberdade Sao Paulo
    Renzo Gracie NYC
    New York Combat Sambo

Posted On:
    8/28/2009 7:10am

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hypnosis in marital arts training?
    Do want!!!

:D

Quote Originally Posted by johnevans View Post
    Has anyone of ever heard of a martial artisits or athlete using hypnosis, self-hypnosis, or meditation to help deal with the pain of an injury, or to prepare for the pain of being punched/kicked/thrown repeatedly?
    Years ago I watched a weightlifting coach doing a mix of relaxation/breathing control/meditation routine to a trainee who was complainting about a migraine. When the trainee woke up, migraine had disappeared.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2009 7:29am

Style: MMA / BJJ / Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have never seen it used for pain management but i believe much of the no-touch larping is a form of mass-hypnosis which i have always found interesting.

I have actually witnessed many people getting "knocked out" with very light touches from "Masters". I have spoken to them and sincerely believe they they are not lying. They really feel they were knocked out and i believe this is because they way it was introduced to them made them want it to be true which i think is a form of hypnosis. This is why guys like dillman can only do these things to their own students. They have been properly indoctrinated.

Posted On:
    8/28/2009 8:41am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Well there's allways the chi...

Suggestion i.e. hypnosis works through mental images. The concept on chi (ki) is sef suggestion and can give you a degree of control over pain temporarily, help you direct your motoric responses and even help you healing from injuries (also called placebo-effect)

Sure its bullshit but even bullshit has its uses, or as my religion states: "Bullshit makes the flowers grow and thats beautiful."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2009 9:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The use of chi probably does, in my opinion, function in a way that is related to hypnosis. Keep in mind, however, that hypnotic interventions have been tested against placebos and other treatments for pain and have been found to be better than or comparable to most methods of pain management, and to exceed the effect of placebo. I suppose it could be argued that hypnosis works through a placebo effect, and that the effect is just GREATER than other forms of placebo (sugar pills, etc.).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2009 10:29am

Style: BJJ/MuayThai/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by johnevans View Post
    The use of chi probably does, in my opinion, function in a way that is related to hypnosis. Keep in mind, however, that hypnotic interventions have been tested against placebos and other treatments for pain and have been found to be better than or comparable to most methods of pain management, and to exceed the effect of placebo. I suppose it could be argued that hypnosis works through a placebo effect, and that the effect is just GREATER than other forms of placebo (sugar pills, etc.).
    Can you provide a reference for this?
    Or just the name a few big hypnosis pain researchers and I'll check out their work.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast