Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2009 10:57am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Had two friends like that. One loves kung fu and thought very little of grappling, saying he didn't want to go to the ground, he trains only striking, so he wouldn't ever get to the ground. The other does WTF TKD and thought it was highly effective for SD.

First one, my saying that thinking you won't end up on the ground because you only train stand up is mistaken, since boxers train not to get KO'd but it still happens, had no effect. So we sparred. I was a few months into BJJ, and took him down at will: doubles, singles, snap downs, body locks, etc. No where near as clean as they could or should be, obviously, but he had no experience at that range, so they worked. The last time I brought it to the ground, I set up a guillotine then just sat, then switched to a kimura.

The exchange: - My arm is in a very weird position. - Yes it is, I can crank it here. - Ow ow ow ow! He tried to explain it by saying there's a pressure point on his right bicep, and that the pain was from my moving his skin an inch to the right.

Next, hip bump into mount, light GnP, keylock from mount. Now he loves grappling.

The latter friend, it took my visiting his dojang on their self-defense day (read: very light pad work, followed by crappling taught by someone with no formal training) and taking on his classmates one after another after another that night to open his eyes. They couldn't keep clear of the clinch, and were helpless once they lost that kicking range. Seeing his white belt friend do that to his class of non-WBs erased any illusions he had.

Final verdict: it's a sport (not combat sport) with the point sparring and stamina required, and like any other sport, it can be fun, and as long as you enjoy it and know what you're getting out of it, forget anyone who tries to tell you what sport you should do.

It takes proof, clear, irrefutable proof to get your friend to reconsider his training.
    Last edited by capt. moroni; 8/28/2009 11:05am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2009 11:08am

Style: Not sure anymore

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I totally agree with your last statement...as long as people who point fight don't think their t3h d3adly because of it.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    8/28/2009 11:09am

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by capt. moroni View Post
    It takes proof, clear, irrefutable proof to get your friend to reconsider his training.
    ^Yup.

Just train hard, get effective and don't worry so much about your friends' minds. Worry about yours.

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    8/28/2009 11:20am

Join us... or die
     Style: jkd concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My sister's friend, a night time security guard told me one time that Savate was so d34dly, that it was illegal here in the USA.

I laughed at him. Then I had a former prison guard from Arizona say the same thing.

I didn't laugh that time. I wondered: what is it with guards and illegal savate?
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Posted On:
    8/28/2009 11:24am

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jkdbuck76 View Post
    My sister's friend, a night time security guard told me one time that Savate was so d34dly, that it was illegal here in the USA.

I laughed at him. Then I had a former prison guard from Arizona say the same thing.

I didn't laugh that time. I wondered: what is it with guards and illegal savate?
    It's probably an OSHA rule. (that's "Occupational Safety & Health Act" that legislates safety in often hilarious ways)

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    8/28/2009 11:29am

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's wrong with you idiots? If someone is wrong, then throw them, choke them or hit them until they understand that you can't be an effective fighter by sitting around and twiddling your thumbs throwing finger jabs into the air and talking about spirituality and not getting athletic.

Posted On:
    8/28/2009 11:31am

Style: MT/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    spar them...or...invite them to your gym :)

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    8/28/2009 11:37am

Join us... or die
     Style: jkd concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirc View Post
    What's wrong with you idiots? If someone is wrong, then throw them, choke them or hit them....
    Then Rihanna was really wrong!
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Posted On:
    8/28/2009 11:43am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RealManOfSteel View Post
    How to get friends to see the light.
    Spoiler:

Posted On:
    8/28/2009 1:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmm...how about, um, not choosing ignoroids for friends?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast