MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    8/27/2009 10:58pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Cleaning up without a shower

Here's the problem. It's hygiene related, so I'm posting it here.
    I've recently started training again at Kalamazoo's legendary Southside dojo. All the Judo, MMA, and Muay Thai I can eat for 25 dollars a month. I typically ride my bike out there (8.5 miles each way) in my effort to have the cardio of ten men.
    Now, here's the problem: there is no shower at this gym. And I really, really, really hate the feeling of putting clothes on when I'm sweaty and gross. Not only are they a pain to get on, I feel like I'm despoiling something pure with my nasty skin juices. Truly, it is a feeling I detest. This hasn't been a problem for the past couple days, because the weather's been warm enough to just wear my training gear there and back, and shower and change once I get back.
    But, as the weather get's colder, it's going to become increasingly necessary to wear more than shorts, sandals, and a rashguard on the bike ride out. Especially when the winter comes, putting on wool socks, coldgear, and a million pounds of heavy duty clothing is going to be foul indeed. I've got gear that can keep me a bicycle down to a bout zero Fahrenheit, but the thought of putting it after a four hour workout makes me cringe to think about.
    So there's the problem. Now I need a solution. I'm considering bringing along a washcloth, soap, and towel, and mastering the hobo's art of taking a spongebath in the bathroom sink. Or, once it gets cold enough, just going and rolling the snow outside after each workout and before changing. But that seems like it might have problems of it's own.

Posted On:
    8/27/2009 11:17pm

Style: MT/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you seem pretty determined

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    8/27/2009 11:52pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Either pack some Wet Wipes or diaperwipes in a ziploc bag and wipe off with them or Johnson and Johnson makes disposable baby washcloths pre-moistened with lavender soap.

Posted On:
    8/27/2009 11:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Defense wipes? Never used em. http://www.defensesoap.com/defense-s...nse-wipes.html

Personally, I feel your pain regarding ickiness putting on clothes after a workout. My method would be to pack a ratty t-shirt, y'know, the kind that you wear for yardwork. That plus a dry toweling-off should be enough, no? Freeball it and you're halfway past the ickiest of the icky.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

is a Godd*mn Federale!

Posted On:
    8/28/2009 12:49am

supporting member
     Style: Clinchology: Judo & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Baby wipes, or any derivative thereof will leave a disgusting film on your body that might even be more repulsive than your unshowered man-funk. That was our "field hygiene" in the Corps and all it was really good for was cleaning off camo paint and dingleberries. You will not feel clean afterward. I'd suggest going around the neighborhood and checking for unlocked doors, see if there's a shower available that way.

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2009 11:06am

Style: default std

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    have you wintered in Kalamazoo before?

Posted On:
    8/28/2009 11:15am

Style: MT/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My tips are to bring a dry off towel and deodorant

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    8/28/2009 11:45am

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get a ShamWow, it will absorb all your funk!

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    8/28/2009 11:58am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Marrt - I have wintered in Kalamazoo before. It's a pretty cold place.
    I might try out the Defense wipes. I think I'm going to bring a washcloth, bar of soap, and towel tonight, and see if I can just wipe myself down+ towel off in the bathroom.

Posted On:
    8/28/2009 1:05pm

Style: Judo Sandbagger

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sponge baths can be pretty quick, and you can dry off quickly. Watch out for the pooling of water beneath you. It is easier without facial scruff and long cascading locks of hair, because that stuff will freeze dry on the bike, but if you are biking you might want to keep nature's muffler growing a bit.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast