Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 5:00pm

Style: Internet Warrior, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yea i tried to start a conversation with someone wearing a tapout shirt the other day.

"What's strikeforce?".

This is all I do: girls, photography and BJJ...

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 5:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: KeyboardHero/CameraJutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There was a guy with a submission 101 shirt and eddy bravo shorts at a grappling comp. where I went, he lost first round after about 20 seconds... guess he is not eddy.
    Same for another guy, all MMA appeal and what not, got leg locked 10 seconds into the fight.
    Sometimes you lose and sometimes the other guy wins.

At this point I don't owe anybody an explenation.

Schools I trained at:
    Lotus Club Cetepe Liberdade Sao Paulo
    Renzo Gracie NYC
    New York Combat Sambo

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 6:00pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whenever I was talking to a friend about uni, I used to tell friends that I started training MMA. When they looked non-plussed I said that it was like UFC. One of my friends they proceeded to say that I 'did' UFC. Facepalm.

I don't talk to friends much about martial arts anymore, unless they are actually from training.

I also have to listen to friends from my old TKD class talk about how 'hardcore' this recent tournament was. I sigh inside, politely nod and imagine how funny it would be to walk in and double leg someone in one of those.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 6:01pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MT, G-R Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've got a kid in my school who thinks he is the **** at anything martial arts. He was showing off one lunch break and attempted to do a high front kick. He ended up falling on his arse with a 6 inch split down the buttcrack of his trousers. I dutifully pointed and laughed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 6:10pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    outside of the gym, MA is not talked about.

"so what sports do you do?"

"mixed martial arts"

"oh, like the karate kid?"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 6:31pm

Style: Aikido, bits of jits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was at a party at my friends house, house mate is a pro wrestler. People start to ask him stuff, he gets me to sit down to demo a rear choke. I cann't feel his arm on my neck but he really sells it. I put a RNC on him, he's shocked at the feeling of a real choke.
    He was cool though, said "what I do is all about selling it."

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 6:36pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was at a party a couple of weeks ago and I met through a friend this dude wearing a UFC shirt. Now, this is uncommon in Australia to say the least. The dude was a hard looking muthafucka, probably between 40-50, so I thought, **** this guy might train. Next thing he put on a Brazilian Top Team hoodie and I thought, **** yeah, this friend of a friend might be an instructor or some ****. I admit I was thinking of all the free lessons I was going to get when I struck up a conversation with him. He didn't train. He just watches UFC and found a website that sells the gear.
    I have this other friend who bought Captain X's DVD set, or something similar. His wife asked me to spar with him as he would try the moves out on her and hurt her. He kept giving me **** about training TKD/ HKD as it "didn't work". Well, I agree to a degree, my four days of training per week and limited sparring with resisting MALE opponents trumps his DVD set and a couple of moves on his wife any day.
    The funny thing is he put me on the deck while sparring at one stage then said, "and now you're dead" and tried convincing me that because I was on the ground I had lost the fight. Fucking idiot.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 7:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seriously . . . . do you folks walk up to people wearing NFL jerseys and ask them if they ever have trouble picking up an X stunt against a 4-3? Or find a guy in a Cubs shirt and strike up a conversation about how to get the bat around on a sick changeup?

Fans. They're fans. Not players, fans. We wanted the sport to grow, we wanted it to be mainstream, and mainstream, major sports are not watched only by the players in the amateur leagues. Mainstream, major sports have fans who don't play the sport, but like to watch it anyway, because it's entertaining.

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 7:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In all fairness to some fanboys wearing Tapout gear nobody expects people wearing pro jerseys from any other sport to train in that particular endeavor.

"Hey man, nice Jets shirt. What position do you play?"

"Wha...oh, actually I'm just a fan, you know, I like to watch the games."

"Pfffft. Fucking poser!"

That being said, wearing any type of "fightgear" out and about is an open invitation to any ufc/ma wannabe or freakazoid to come up and start talking "shop". Not a good idea. Get some Rupture gear to support our man, but wear it at the gym.

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 7:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dammit Don if I didn't type like a retarded baboon I would've posted my **** first. They say great minds think alike though.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast