Octopussy!

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 4:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKovacs View Post

As soon as I handed over the cash it all got a bit wierd, the guy behind me in the cue lent over and said 'So you just pay for them now eh?' without a hint of irony or humour in his voice. I made light of it by saying payings easier than training and it didn't help, he explained to me how hard it was to 'get a karate black belt in his day' and then beckoned his young son over and told him that he'd never buy his black belt like the man did (meaning me), he'd have to earn it.

I wanted to explain that it was for fancy dress, basically a glorified practical joke, but thought better of it and just left. Ironically, just before I picked the belt up I was explaining to my girlfriend about the stigma attached to buying belts and grades.

Strangely, the random encounter made me feel a bit guilty. There isn't a belt system in my MT so I shouldn't care but being berated by that guy made me feel like I was stealing.

Awkward bastard.

You should have said "Aiyo, listen up, old cat. I'm the baddest ************ in this bitch right now. So don't be steppin' to me with that weak **** before I have to sweep your motherfuckin' leg, Daniel-san."

And then as you're leaving, you pause, turn, glare at the kid and say "the **** you lookin' at, shrimpy. You want some too?"

Then pause again, turn to your girl and say "yo, babe, let's bounce".

Because that's how bad motherfuckers do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 5:32pm

Style: wing chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKovacs View Post

As soon as I handed over the cash it all got a bit wierd, the guy behind me in the cue lent over and said 'So you just pay for them now eh?' without a hint of irony or humour in his voice. I made light of it by saying payings easier than training and it didn't help, he explained to me how hard it was to 'get a karate black belt in his day' and then beckoned his young son over and told him that he'd never buy his black belt like the man did (meaning me), he'd have to earn it.
    Don't feel bad. You may have done a good thing for his son - or even just made his son feel proud of him. That's a good thing too.

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 7:37pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don, my first post was in relation to a guy wearing the gear who I thought might train. You basically implied it was stupid to assume this, I pointed out that in Australia a person wearing a Venum hoodie over a UFC shirt is very rare even in the gym as MMA is not mainstream here, thus my interest was piqued. I suppose it was a little harsh using the word ignorant in describing your lack of knowledge of the state of MMA in Australia, but it is apt, I did not mean it offensively.

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 7:56pm

Style: 5x5, 5.56mm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thye reason why I didn't elbow the kids face into next week for his fathers lecture is becouce I think he had a point. I couldn't agree with the guy more, you should work for such a lofty achievement, not bribe some sweaty nerds for one. I also like the fact that he used the opportinity as an example to his son, I had no idea how ropey their karate is but the thoughts in the right place.

I didn't bring up the point that is was for fancy dress as that's adding insult to injury. Not only am I buying a black belt, I'm buying it for a laugh.

I do wish I had a witty quip to stop the guy in his tracks but I was hung over... so all bets were off. I hope his kid takes the point though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 10:18pm

Style: sadness and tears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Went from trying to explain BJJ to people who don't know MA to just

"..yeah, it's kinda like Karate.."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 10:27pm

Style: sadness and tears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    a few months ago i was at a 21st at the local uni bar (i go there because firstly, most of my friends are still in uni and secondly, a guy wearing hugo boss etc in a uni bar stands out to the hot 18 year old girls who have just left home and are looking to go wild)

was just hanging around with a few of my mates who do engineering. engineers are huge dorks, but there are a couple of pretty hot girls who do it as well. i was talking to one of these hot girls. i usually try and avoid the subject of martial arts as well for reasons people have already stated in this thread- everyone thinks they are an expert, ESPECIALLY 18-22 year old guys who did krotty when they were kids.

Anyway she asked what i do for a living, i said to her that i work in a gym, personal training, mentoring etc. one of my friends who was drunk came along and asked her to punch him (he always does this and yes he gets beat downs because of it) and she refused cos she doesnt know how to punch. so he waves at me and says "get him to show you, hes a boxer!"

she begs me so i say alright... and as im about to show her, we get surrounded by ninja nerds almost beating each other away to show her how to do horrible, krotty chamber punches. one of them who thinks hes top dawg smirks at me after doing his krotty business. one part of me says "punch the **** in the face, this bar is getting old anyway" but instead i decide to take out my business card, write "free half hour session" on the back, and give it to the girl. watching his face fall as she gushes over getting a lesson from an actual boxer on how to punch made me want to jump for joy, but i made do with just smashing up her box _b
    Congrats on having sex!

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 10:45pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Congrats on having sex!

In Soviet Russia sex have you!!!!

Posted On:
    8/31/2009 12:31pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Back when I was training fma hardcore one of my good dudes from the class disapeared for a couple of weeks.

I finally ran into him he had a huge bandage across the back of his left hand.

He was boozing at a party and decided to show some knife disarm skills.

Yeah, he didn't really want to talk about it.

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    8/31/2009 8:21pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mustang1 View Post
    Back when I was training fma hardcore one of my good dudes from the class disapeared for a couple of weeks.

I finally ran into him he had a huge bandage across the back of his left hand.

He was boozing at a party and decided to show some knife disarm skills.

Yeah, he didn't really want to talk about it.
    at least he didn't dress up like a Nazi and hold a gay orgy afterwards...

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    8/31/2009 9:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think I can beat all of you. I am obligated to talk to people who know nothing to **** about MMA since my Major is Sports, Sponsorship, and Sales. The confused looks and stupid questions are ridiculous. I've almost decided to just start watching Baseball or something so as to be able to talk about something "normal" in class. Everyday is a battle to make the sport legitimate in peoples eyes, most of the time I just fail miserably.
    Last edited by DKJr; 8/31/2009 9:59pm at .
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910