Page 1 of 10 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 12:32pm

Style: Kettles (MA hiatus).

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Martial Arts and epic social failure.

After a successful night of meeting up with other people from here for a bit of banter and getting Squerlli blind drunk, I looked back over my history of social encounters regarding Martial Arts, both random and with mates and realised that a good 90% are cringe-worthy bouts of FAIL that I now usually avoid like the plague.

It's not that I'm embarrassed to talk about my training, quite the opposite, I really enjoy discussing training techniques, sparring anecdotes etc but usually when talking with people with very contrasting ideas of MA (or people who don't train at all), the chat just goes down hill fast and ends up with someone wanting to show me his 'd34dly moves', right there in the middle of the pub. Or even worse, wants me to LARP for him to help demonstrate a point.

So now if I think that the subject of MA is going pop up in a conversation, not only would I try and steer the conversation away from it I'd actually lie and deny I knew anything about it just to avoid the inevitable embarrassment.

It looks like a few other posters here have the same sort of attitude but do people find that in general, MA can be socially very awkward?

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 12:36pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    one of my mates made a very good remark on that: 'when it comes to fighting, even as a sport, all of a sudden EVERY guy knows what he's talking about...'

martial arts are an ego thing for a lot of guys.
    it's okay to say you don't know that much about baseball or curling, but if you watch a cagefight or kickboxing match in a sportsbar you hear people talking about the weirdest ****.

guy almost in an armbar: ' just stand up and kick him in the face! geesh!'

i just try to block those people out.

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 12:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try doing lonely guy kata on the dance floor....talk about awkward. It tends to steer the conversation away though, so it's not all bad.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 12:48pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    best convo about ma i ever had was in a bar in new orleans. a ufc commercial was on. guy next to me is a big shitkicker, truck driver type, about 45. says to me, 'man, i'd last about 3 seconds in that cage.' i says, 'man, that's probably two seconds longer than i would.' end of convo.

2nd best is when i armbarred my drunk cousin after he tried to take me down.

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 1:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Last week me and my friend met an English guy.Fast forward 5 min we demanded that he do a barell roll for some reason.He didn't have any idea what are we talking about so we demonstrated our mad ukemi skillz.

Belgrade Beer Fest does wonders.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 1:14pm

Style: BJJ/MuayThai/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been training MMA since Fall 2005. One close friend (and previous roommate) of mine, after years of me talking MA with him, STILL believes hapkido to be teh_d34dly with better joint manipulations than BJJ.

My friends that I watch UFC with freely admit they have no clue about fighting other than what they see and what Joe Rogan and I tell them.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 1:50pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The krotty "class" at the Gold's Gym near my house that is billed as a self-defence class complete with heavy kata emphasis and infrequent point-sparring. The once-a-week class and the compliant joint-locking stuff completes the package.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 3:24pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yes, i started avoiding MA topics.

my training buddies dont talk, its hard too anyways because of the mouthguard and face punching going on between us.

the rest of my friends either dont care about MA or think shaolin temple kung fu is the best, i trained explaining sanshou/sanda to them and somehow they never heard of it.

i learned to try and keep my trap shut for the sake of my own sanity.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 3:37pm

Style: unemployed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tried to make a party trick once. I did a double leg take down on some guy but I picked him up instead of taking him down. once he was up I spun him around me neck as acrobats sometimes does in circus :) I thought it was a nice dance move...

I wonder why I don't have so many friends (this is a joke ofc)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 4:48pm

Style: brazillian jiu jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The other day, I was filling up my car at a gas station and a pickup pulls up to the next pump. It has a huge TapouT logo on the back, and when the guy gets out, he's wearing a TapouT shirt. I'm always on the lookout for people who might be interested in Ruebens school, so I asked him where he trains.

"Oh, I don't train, I'm just really into it"
Page 1 of 10 1 2345 ... LastLast