Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last

Style
    Personal study of Harmony
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A Personal Pursuit.

First post. Slightly humorous, somewhat relevant personal history in the first few paragraphs; I'm sure you'll skip around as you see fit.

So I've been interested in combat of some form or other for about as far back as I can remember. Started as admiration of action heroes, stayed with me and matured as I did - slowly. In grade school I punched and kicked and jumped around and told my friends I'd "taught myself karate." Later became interested in samurai and started practicing sword moves with a broomstick or branch and about the same level of success.

5 or so years ago, I was enrolled in a school for Choy Lay Fut Kung Fu, with alternating night classes in kickboxing. I had no idea what a Belt Factory, or McDojo, as I believe they're referred to here, was, and I honestly couldn't tell you if the school I went to was one; the classes were once a week, and after perhaps a month and a half, I became too busy preparing to graduate high school to continue training there. Entering college, I looked for anyone interested in fighting to serve as a sparring partner, but not for a new school; I decided I wanted to develop my own style.

This went pretty much exactly as stupidly as it sounds, especially since I did not develop basics but went straight to making up fancy crap. A year later found me with a group of friends that sparred every week, which likely turned out to be my saving grace; heaven only knows what kind of fantasy world I'd have lived in if I hadn't met some actually skilled people to beat me out of it (again, slowly.)

After a couple more years of getting past my own bullshi(t)/(do), through sparring with my friends of different backgrounds as well as training and sparring with the school's Hwa Rang Do club, I built up basics, which drew from what I learned from sparring, solo training and meditation, as well as what I had learned of "soft" - style martial arts, especially Tai Chi and, later, Ba Gua Zhang.

As of now, I am studying what I've come to call the Art of Harmony, with Inner and Outer Harmony as its main goals, as well as Balance. The basic philosophy is that change is the essence of movement, the essence of existence. Outer Harmony, then, is accepting and adapting to that change, and Inner Harmony is to be open to manifest your own change with your whole Self. Balance would the ability to put your whole Self to an effort without letting yourself be drawn away by it.

Getting as far in ability as I have now, which is not far at all, took much longer than it could have, and I took an unacceptable amount of time to learn the vital lesson that I don't know jack **** compared to others, or compared to myself in a year, or a month. But I feel I learned more about myself, physically, mentally and spiritually, through this way than I would have in a martial arts school (especially since I'm in Tallahassee and the schools all look more than questionable.)

But I will never know; this is my root now.

I've gone on long enough; I'm interested in opinions.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.

So with a month or two of formal training and you have created a martial art system, and would like to know our opinions of it?

This is newbietown and we have to be nice, so let me say I am not immediately thrilled about the idea. In all fairness you may have discovered something worthwhile of calling your own fighting style and it might be awesome. If you would like a detailed critique, I'd say:

Post a descriptive paragraph on what your martial art is
    Possibly a few photos
    Without question post videos
    To show it's viability as a martial art, make sure you include alive defense training

Be fore warned, if it's hokey the thread may get split and the new art be sent to YMAS where the bullies will make fun of you.

I look forward to hearing more

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Find a boxing gym or Judo dojo. Take a class. See how well you fare against them.

If you hold your own, then you haven't wasted your time. If not. . .

Welcome to Bullshido.

Style
    MT noob, BJJ even noober
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You have to understand that anyone who claims to have invented their own style will automatically cause the hair on most bullies necks to stand up. Clearly, you know the purpose of this site and how vigorously people take the task of rooting out the bullshit found in the martial arts. You aren't the first person to come on here making such claims, and they mostly turn out to be full of **** or an art that is totally worthless. Please don't take this as a critique of your art, as we know nothing about it.

Also- where are you located? There might be some bullies around you who would be willing to spar or, perhaps, you can attend a throwdown. Despite the name, there is no thuggery involved, but a group of like minded martial artists of different style willing to get together and spar a bit. Something like a throwdown might be the best way for you to test your skills/ art against practitioners of various styles to try and gauge its effectiveness.

Or, you can do what jnp suggests.

Style
    Brawling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ROFL...he said Fut.....lol

Style
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I appreciate all of your responses (with the exception, perhaps, of panthersix); I am also glad that I decided to post this in Newbietown, since I expected a reaction along these lines.

Crushing Step: I can certainly understand the dubious nature of the claim, but I haven't 'created' a martial art; the closest that could be said for that is that I'm developing one. It is by no means complete, for now simply a group of theories which are then tested when I do spar, and changed or solidified based on my experience. And I am by no means fully competent in it.

A description of it... It is based on the idea of Dual Harmonies; as I said before, first Harmony in yourself, and then with your surroundings. In combat, this would mean a calm spirit, a quiet mind and a relaxed body, unconflicted aspects of a single Self, in constant adjustment of both your opponent's and your own movements to gain the advantage towards the end of resolving a conflict as effectively as possible.

The techniques are fairly basic, as those are what I know: different fist, palm, ridgehand and knuckle strikes, catches, kicks, knees, and trips. I don't ignore groundwork, but I've only met one grappling-focused fighter; the school's MMA Club dropped off the map a semester ago, me having only visited twice (I learned, and got punched, a lot.) Thus, I do enough to deal with what grappling I do face. Defense and countering are based on stopping force, absorbing/deflecting force, avoiding force, and following/redirecting force.

There's more to it, but that's really the main part of it. It's primarily a 'mental' style, in a sense, since the focus is on inner calm and outer perception; I try to train my body for adaptability, so that rather than forms, I practice connecting short combinations in various ways.

I... don't really have photos or videos of my fighting style. I'll try to get some video at next week's sparring night. We don't have many members, and don't officially exist, but sparring is open to all styles, and is full contact, though most focus on weapons. I'll be looking to get more varied sparring in soon.

jnp: I'll do that. It'll be a confidence-booster if I do hold my own, and if I don't, well, then at least I know.

thaclient: As I said, yes, I do understand that this 'I made up my own' claim will cause some(most) practitioners of established styles, and people who aren't practitioners of any style, to roll their eyes. But I'm not claiming any kind of superiority here, not saying I've succeeded, just that this is my personal direction of study.

The Throwdown thing sounds like an enlightening experience. I live in Tallahassee, FL, so if there are any local, erm, bullies, I would welcome the learning experience.

panthersix: ...Yes, yes I did.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What would justify developing your own martial art, versus developing your own fighting style? Everyone has their own figthing style...

Also FYI, there is some talk of a Florida gathering here:

Florida / Central Fla venue / Southeast USA region Throwdown - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

Style
    Judofitness
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome,

your propositions are good, but the calmness, harmony, etc. are a result of hard training and not the starting point of effective fighting. You're fooling yourself if you think that philosophical practice will lead to figthing prowess.

Please do as JNP suggested. The best fighters spent lots of time training and very little in seeking calmness of spirit and harmony with the Cosmos. Maybe much later.

Style
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "What would justify developing your own martial art, versus developing your own fighting style? Everyone has their own figthing style..."

That's a difficult question for me to answer, but I will try:

As I see it, most martial arts have a base philosophy, a system of tactics, and movements that identify it, whereas a fighting style is a personal interpretation of the art or arts practiced. What I am training in would really be something in between these two ideas, as it is based on its own individual philosophy, but is a personal system, not meant to be "passed on," (especially since it is constantly changing and adapting based on learning and experience.)

As for why I would develop my own philosophy, I believe in two things relevant to that: "Fight in the manner in which you live, live in the manner in which you fight" and "no one culture has it completely right." This goes not just for martial arts, but for politics, ethics, religion, etc. Rather, then, than get pulled around by the conflicting philosophies and interests of various schools of thought, I opted to find what resonated with me, and pursue that path. Also, I had(have) practically no money and little idea which schools would be worth training at.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Throwdown.

"your propositions are good, but the calmness, harmony, etc. are a result of hard training and not the starting point of effective fighting. You're fooling yourself if you think that philosophical practice will lead to figthing prowess."

If facing down a 300-pound guy with his blood up determined to slam his fist into me or take me down and choke me out didn't teach me that, the time in the MMA Club that had me punched right off of my feet did. Philosophical practice is part of my training, but I've been made well aware that experience is the only way I'm going to actually learn to maintain inner calm in the face of true aggression.

("Harmony with the Cosmos," by the way, is not what I meant when I spoke of Outer Harmony; harmony with the surroundings refers to perceiving clearly, moment-to-moment, what is around you and what is changing around you, and turning it to benefit. More succinctly, the tactics can be said as awareness, acceptance, and adaptation (which I did not intend to alliterate, but there it is.))

Style
    MT noob, BJJ even noober
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by VilVal View Post
    I live in Tallahassee, FL...
    Seminole? Ugh.

<--- 2x UMiami grad. :eusa_danc

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last