Sponsored Links Spacer Image

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    11/08/2010 5:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the gulf between fighters in america and fighters in oceania when it comes to MT is pretty fucking big, and possibly even moreso when it comes to the female fighters. i dont want to rain on your parade with that kid but it is something to keep in perspective >.>

Posted On:
    11/08/2010 6:10pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let me know when you decide which camp you are going to in Thailand, I'll be there with my girlfriend training in Chang Mai or Bangkok for a few months hopefully.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    11/08/2010 6:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    the gulf between fighters in america and fighters in oceania when it comes to MT is pretty fucking big, and possibly even moreso when it comes to the female fighters. i dont want to rain on your parade with that kid but it is something to keep in perspective >.>
    I keep up with the Australian female fight scene to a certain degree (I'm friends with Angela Parr on facebook and she posts about the female events she throws). The girls there are bad ass by comparison to US girls, no doubt, but I'm not exactly your typical US female thaiboxer ;)
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    11/08/2010 6:50pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    Let me know when you decide which camp you are going to in Thailand, I'll be there with my girlfriend training in Chang Mai or Bangkok for a few months hopefully.

Cool, I'll let you know for sure :)
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Posted On:
    11/11/2010 10:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lately i've been enjoying the girl fights on the smaller cards more than the guys, we've got some real talent coming through the ranks.

Got offered a pretty serious fight today. Can't go into the details just yet but it would mean going professional to take it which I haven't quite decided on. The purse size is really impressive, so is the competition.
    Last edited by Sang; 11/11/2010 10:36pm at .
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    11/12/2010 11:45am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lately i've been enjoying the girl fights on the smaller cards more than the guys, we've got some real talent coming through the ranks.

Got offered a pretty serious fight today. Can't go into the details just yet but it would mean going professional to take it which I haven't quite decided on. The purse size is really impressive, so is the competition.
    My recommendation is always not to jump on pro fight offers that happen to be really tempting because of what seems like a fat purse and potential prestige. Get to a point to where you're totally confident and comfortable in the ring.

The last fight I saw, your abilities were good but you were still far from appearing comfortable in the ring, so if I were your coach I'd tell you to wait. I know too many people who had a lot of potential, then let themselves be convinced some pro fight offer was too good to pass up and it turned out they just plain weren't ready to be fighting with the pros at a dominant level. It hurt their record, their confidence and stunted their career.

but then again I've been amateur for almost 6 years now and continue to turn down really good pro fight oportunities, so you may be hearing from a chick who's a bit overly cautious.

Posted On:
    11/12/2010 7:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for your honest appraisal. On the one hand it would be better for me to wait and get more ring experience but on the other hand I'm already fighting FTR and taking all the risks without the monetary compensation. It feels silly getting sliced up by elbows then forking over a big portion of my income for training fees, equipment and the huge time investment.

I'm going to sort out some of the details today, theres a good chance i can take this fight but continue fighting 'amateurs' after. The line between the two here is really blurred.
    Kenny Weldon

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    11/12/2010 9:45pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for your honest appraisal. On the one hand it would be better for me to wait and get more ring experience but on the other hand I'm already fighting FTR and taking all the risks without the monetary compensation. It feels silly getting sliced up by elbows then forking over a big portion of my income for training fees, equipment and the huge time investment.

I'm going to sort out some of the details today, theres a good chance i can take this fight but continue fighting 'amateurs' after. The line between the two here is really blurred.
    If it doesn't really make a difference, fight career wise, then I guess there's not much reason not to get paid. The reason from my perspective is that I want to start off my pro career with a bang and fight on big cards for big purses right away, rather than be a pro with a half dozen amateur fights that can't hang with the serious pros that polished their abilities, get a bunch of professional losses which end up effecting your ability to be anything but a warm up fight for real up and comers.

I know a lot of fighters that ended up this way. But like you say, the US and Australia are very different places. It used to be the case that low level pros could fight amateurs and no one would care, but now sanctioning bodies are getting really strict with keeping the separation between amateur and pro distinct.

Just be very careful about being set up with a juicy sounding pro offer, just to be fed to the sharks. I know it probably isn't at all necessary to explain these things to you since you've been around the fight game long enough to have an idea what it's all about, but I always get very suspicious when people offer me professional fight deals before I've really made my mark as an amateur. Promoters don't care about your career, they care about selling tickets and promoting local favorites.

Always be a suspicious self manager, but if it feels like the pay and potential for future pay means making up for the danger of getting cut with elbows and what not then go for it.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    11/12/2010 10:16pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On the other hand, I still say stay amateur until you're ring comfortable enough to be mixing it up with up and coming pros. You never know when you're gonna get in the ring with the next JWP, so just make sure you're really confident that you can at the very least commit to that level of training.

Posted On:
    11/13/2010 3:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Words of wisdom, thanks kid.
    Kenny Weldon
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast