Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2009 4:50pm

Style: BJJ/MuayThai/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Orbz View Post
    Ahh, neuroscience and martial arts... where's my Parkinson's... Do I still have to worry about getting knocked out?
    I generally agree with your other ideas, I was not aware of the 5HT-1a receptor with MDMA. I'm assuming that these ideas are purely speculative and theoretical though. Would you agree with me that the most healthy option for these people would be "hard reality"?

As for the parkinsonian thing...I think you get symptoms that resemble parkinson's, but it doesn't seem to necessarily be a DA depletion. Semantics aside, the general brain damage associated with boxing seems to be related to taking many many smaller punches than getting KO'ed.
    *thinks*
    Hmmm...I can't cite anything for that. I know there was a study...damn...

Anyways, that doesn't really mean that concussions don't cause brain damage, just that the repeated smaller blows seem to be what's causing the most damage.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 4:16am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tai Chi/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by permahudef View Post
    I generally agree with your other ideas, I was not aware of the 5HT-1a receptor with MDMA. I'm assuming that these ideas are purely speculative and theoretical though.
    The below paper is pretty clear and seems to be where the field is heading.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...ubmed_RVDocSum

Would you agree with me that the most healthy option for these people would be "hard reality"?
    Yes, but then we don't get to speculate about which brain bits are responsible.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 4:35am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OP might want to try Parathion (tm).

A drug so good, you take it once, you never need to take another.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 11:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The below paper is pretty clear and seems to be where the field is heading.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...ubmed_RVDocSum

Yes, but then we don't get to speculate about which brain bits are responsible.
    Thanks!
    I just read the abstract, but it was quite informative. I have to admit that MDMA is a lacuna in my knowledge. Do you have a particular review article that you enjoyed? I usually like to start with a good review article when I'm not that familiar with an area. If you don't have one in particular, that's fine.

Mmmm sweet sweet speculation. I just wanted to make sure we were both aware that we were speculating. I'm sure you've experienced times where miscommunication about the fact people are speculating has lead to problems.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/31/2009 4:35am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tai Chi/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not my research area directly (yet) but it's close enough for me to be interested in the developments and I have a personal interest as well. As such I don't have any good reviews on hand and there doesn't seem to be enough research yet to give a good review. However, I did find the review below which I'll probably read tonight.
    http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...medid=18475254

I've always kind of secretly hoped that somebody would take my speculations seriously and then return with hilarious consequences. My speculations have obviously been a little far fetched. There's also the added layer of bureaucracy entitled "The Ethics Committee" to deal with.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2009 1:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's also the added layer of bureaucracy entitled "The Ethics Committee" to deal with.
    Psh! "Informed consent" and "Human rights":tongue2:

I'm not sure what it's like where you are, but apparently here we need ethical approval to ask a classroom ANY sort of polling question. Now, I can understand sensitive issues, but some people like to ask their students questions to get them involved "Who here has ever X?" (Where X is something that is not a sensitive issue). Apparently that's not allowed without ethical clearance. Now, there's some ways around it, but I think a professor or TA should be able to ask the class questions so long as it is not a sensitive issue and so long as a response is not compulsatory.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234