Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2009 7:43pm

Style: MMA,JJ,Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

There a 14 year old at my Gym now...

I know this matter should probably go into the Douchebag of the month: Gym people, but I don't want to necro any very old thread.

Lately I finally started training again for the big game. I catch back into what I've lost during my long period of laziness into our brand new gym. Everything's great old faces comes back, the spirit is still as burning as it ever been. Everybody's busting their ass to get in shape for competition.

However, some strange turn of event happened lately. I used to hear my instructor talk about how he would not allow 14 years old in the gym because...well

1st: They are too young
    2nd: The Training is too dangerous for them
    3rd: They are generally very retarded due to their inexperience at life.

Well...There's a 14 year old at my Gym now...But the guy's a pretty big guy, he's well rounded and nearly taller than me, but God...he's still 14 years old. This guy started working out at the musculation center on the first floor of the Gym a few months back because he's getting **** from people at school, the usual stuff. Then he started to think about joining the big leagues by "training for UFC" as he says.

So in this Friday Afternoon, I make my way to the Gym, happily and all that ****, I notice him, he doesn't look like he's 14 at all, maybe 17 at best. I start talking to him, it's always nice to see new faces around. He ask me if I've been doing this for a long time and here goes the conversation:

Him: So....You train for long?
    Me: Well without counting the 6 months of doing nothing, it's my 3 years here.
    Him: Are you here for the UFC?
    Me:(With a vague feeling of confusion) Well...I Train and do Martial Arts for fun and yes to, eventually, Compete in Amateur MMA
    Him: But is it useful to kick people's ass?
    Me: I don't need to kick anyone's ass outside the gym because I'm not a douchebag.
    Him: But still, nobody would **** with you right?
    Me: Dude...I don't even care about that, the M34n_Str33T talk is bullshit to me.

So I enter the gym, change and start warming up, that's when I hear him say he's 14 to the instructor. It was a big suprise. So the class went on and trough all of it, I've never seen someone so arrogant in my life. the guy have no experience and kept questionning the instructor on bullshit like "Yeah, but armbars aren't UFC" or "My dad says we do not Box that way". Overall, the kid was not bad, he sure putted lots of energy in his first class, which is good, but damn, were we really that retarded when we were 14? He's still stuck in that low self esteem mentality that you need to know the deadly to be able to survive the dangerous and unforgiving world of highschool. Once, after practicing kicks on Thai Pads, One of my friend who is Co-Instructor, rated his kick 2 on a scale of 10, but the guy is only beginning, it's only natural that he's gonna suck at first, but he got extremely pissed and as our instructor was explaining something to all of us, he went on the heavy bag and started kicking, interrupting everything he was saying. This guy probably saw Never back down and is trying to act all determined like that asshole main character. I can confirm, MMA is becoming the new deadly martial art that every kids wants to practice.

Tl;DR- Have you ever had any kind of experience with very young teenagers that doesn't know **** but would still act like total douchebags because in the movie it's not how they've explained it?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2009 7:56pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Even at fairtex alone, there was atleast 2 kids under 14, but they both got 1 on 1 training from the thai trainers.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    8/22/2009 8:12pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've known plenty of kids like that. If the instructor wants to allow him in the class, it's the instructor's problem. My expirence is that they don't last very long.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2009 8:27pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know what you are all talking about. As a part of my personal training business, I have a few people who like to kickbox. So I put them through workouts on the mitts, heavy bag, thai pads, and so on. So the other day, this kid that I am helping prepare for wrestling season says that there is a kid that claims to have sponsorship for jiujitsu and how this kid is going around bragging about this at school. Well the next day the braggert shows up at my gym and is going to workout with his buddies and I just happened to be training a girl using kickboxing. This kid and his buddies stand over to the side and "critique" me and my client. I wanted so bad to turn my client loose on this kid(she hits like a friggin train) and let her give a little critiquing.

Kids-----can't live with them, can't legally beat them with a stick.

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    8/22/2009 8:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why don't these kids Join MA's because their fun?

Why god did you punish us with never back down????? WHY, WHY, is it about the gay marriage thing?

Posted On:
    8/22/2009 8:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It'll be fun to punch him in the nose in sparring. It's a good expression you know, you never hear people say it anymore, "I'll punch you in the nose!" My family and I used to shout that at each other all the time.
    Last edited by maofas; 8/22/2009 8:38pm at .

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    8/22/2009 8:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started training when I was 16. I'm not a douchebag.

We have one 14 year old at our gym, 4 stripe yellow belt. He's really, really fucking skilled. Apparently yellow == blue at our gym or some **** like that, but he's fucking good. Gets a little cocky sometimes and upset when he isn't "winning", but is still really damn good. He's a pretty good guy, though.

Scary good.

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    8/22/2009 9:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1 View Post
    I started training when I was 16. I'm not a douchebag.

We have one 14 year old at our gym, 4 stripe yellow belt. He's really, really fucking skilled. Apparently yellow == blue at our gym or some **** like that, but he's fucking good. Gets a little cocky sometimes and upset when he isn't "winning", but is still really damn good. He's a pretty good guy, though.

Scary good.
    yea same on the starting when your 16 or are those Two years some how magical?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2009 9:22pm

Style: MMA,JJ,Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started Seriously Training in MA when I was 16, I understand how it is, but I was talking in general, because we have and have had plenty of other 15 to 18 years old at our old gym and some of them were great and very good, but in general it's always about the Never Back down attitude.

The Kid isn't bad though, for his first class he was actually pretty good, it's just that he have an attitude problem, criticizing our Instructor who's over his 50's and did full contact MA since he was 17, it's over 40 years of broken body experience. He has been training people for MMA since 1995. The guy knows what he's talking about. It's good questionning your instructor's training when you are unsure about something, but don't call blatant bullshit on perfectly logical stuff like boxing physic when you never did any MA in your entire life by claiming "It's not how they do it in the movies."

Posted On:
    8/22/2009 9:27pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The kid will get a tune-up if he lasts long enough. Trust me.
Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast