Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2009 7:31pm

Style: bum rush karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Science: Fat people really ARE stupid

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/...indegeneration

A new study finds obese people have 8 percent less brain tissue than normal-weight individuals. Their brains look 16 years older than the brains of lean individuals, researchers said today.

Those classified as overweight have 4 percent less brain tissue and their brains appear to have aged prematurely by 8 years.

The results, based on brain scans of 94 people in their 70s, represent "severe brain degeneration," said Paul Thompson, senior author of the study and a UCLA professor of neurology.
    . . .
    Obese people had lost brain tissue in the frontal and temporal lobes, areas of the brain critical for planning and memory, and in the anterior cingulate gyrus (attention and executive functions), hippocampus (long-term memory) and basal ganglia (movement), the researchers said in a statement today. Overweight people showed brain loss in the basal ganglia, the corona radiata, white matter comprised of axons, and the parietal lobe (sensory lobe).

"The brains of obese people looked 16 years older than the brains of those who were lean, and in overweight people looked 8 years older," Thompson said.
    . . .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2009 8:42pm

Style: Bas Rutten tapes

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm always wary of studies like these, because the use of a brain scan makes it easier to publish in some venues despite other possible methodological issues with the study. It's important to consider sample size for example, and also whether and how they controlled for confounding variables (i.e. chronic disease, education level, richness of environment etc.).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 5:52am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay-Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So wait, I'm no doctor but according to this if you have a fat 8 year old, his brain will be 16 meaning he has the knowledge of a junior in high school or just that his brain is a fat ass like him, therefore it moves slower than all the rest of the kids?

Registered Member

Where tornadoes come sweeping down the lane.

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 6:15am

Style: Bas Rutten's MMA workout.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    94 people is a rather odd number to go with here. I mean was that the total number tested or just 94 of whatever total number. That said if seeing this motivates someone to get off the couch for fear of being that forgetful old person, all the better.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 6:29am

Style: shotokai/bjj/MT/ex-BBT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "A new study finds obese people have 8 percent less brain tissue than normal-weight individuals."

Compared to what? If this is relative to body mass this is not really a huge surprise. If the article means compared to a mean brain mass, then I'd like to know who the control group were and if they were the standard control group used (normally students). What Kind of scans were used?

Finally was the damage incurred because of overeating, or was the over-eating caused by the damage in the parietal lobe?

Needs more research, but scary none the less...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 6:59am

Style: bum rush karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if you question the study, you're probably fat.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 8:17am

Style: Hung Ga Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    YES, now I can HATE fat people and science will back my play. :(

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 9:12am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Correlation is not causation. You're stupid and it's going to make you fat.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 10:09am

Style: MT and judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Science is generally pretty badly reported in mainstream media, especially when relating to emotive issues. Also, a fair amount of research published is suspect. Best not to read too much into the article and try and track down the original paper if you're interested enough.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 10:13am

Style: Internet Warrior, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going to wager it's because fat people tend to be malnourished and that's what's causing the brain degeneration.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast