Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2009 10:01am

Style: MT noob, BJJ even noober

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherserge View Post
    Are you close to Carlos Cumming's school? I think he's in Panama City (I should get a map?)

I don't know from Florida, except that you assholez say "ply-wad" instead of "plywood"
    Panama City is actually up in the panhandle, so that's a no-go for me. I'd looked around here and it seems that South Florida is devoid of any Sambo peeps (and had even PMed Sambosteve a while back and he told me so as well) and I'm not aware of anyone new that has opened up shop in the area. :sad9:

I call it ply-wood, but there are some weird pronunciations in this state (notably "ruff" instead of "roof"), and, hell it's a pretty weird state in general.

Posted On:
    8/28/2009 8:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thaclient View Post
    Panama City is actually up in the panhandle, so that's a no-go for me. I'd looked around here and it seems that South Florida is devoid of any Sambo peeps (and had even PMed Sambosteve a while back and he told me so as well) and I'm not aware of anyone new that has opened up shop in the area. :sad9:

I call it ply-wood, but there are some weird pronunciations in this state (notably "ruff" instead of "roof"), and, hell it's a pretty weird state in general.
    Meh, for awhile there, it was kind of silly that I was the only Sambo instructor around. But now that I could kick-ass and chase dickheads out of my shop, everyone else can pound sand.

A fellow carpenter went to FL for a summer, I forget why. One of the older guys on the crew said, "There will be one guy on the crew you join, he will be wearing orange or whatever 70's running shorts-the ones that are buttock long and have the wide-v on the side hems. Also, he will never wear a shirt, his lunch will be an apple, a large bag of jalapeno Doritos and a Coors Lite. When you see this person, talk admirably about NASCAR and the heroic bravery of the drivers: he will love you the whole time you are there!"

When dude got back in the fall he was all, "WTF?!?! HOW DID YOU KNOW?!"

*shrugs* "It's Florida."
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2009 7:57pm

Style: MT noob, BJJ even noober

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The days of the Florida Cracker (which is not a pejorative term, despite the sound of it) are over in South Florida. Growing up it was all fried gator and rifle racks in the back of your pickup, but not anymore. Granted, there are still plenty of parts of this state [[WIKI]Florida Heartland[/WIKI] for example, amongst others] where you'll see that sort of stuff, but those days are pretty much over, for better or for worse.

With that being said, and hearing about how nice it is here, why don't one of you guys move here and teach me Sambo?

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    8/29/2009 8:49pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thaclient View Post
    The days of the Florida Cracker (which is not a pejorative term, despite the sound of it) are over in South Florida. Growing up it was all fried gator and rifle racks in the back of your pickup, but not anymore. Granted, there are still plenty of parts of this state [[WIKI]Florida Heartland[/WIKI] for example, amongst others] where you'll see that sort of stuff, but those days are pretty much over, for better or for worse.

With that being said, and hearing about how nice it is here, why don't one of you guys move here and teach me Sambo?
    Carlos Cummings is in Florida...Panama City. But, he just did a 2 day seminar 2 weeks ago in St. Petersburg. He will be doing another later in the year. If you want on our mailing list, shoot me a PM. Also check our facebook group.

One of Seattle's Bravest

Posted On:
    8/31/2009 2:15pm

Style: Cambo/jujutsu/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Serge and I this weekend..hope to see you there.

Aaron Fields

Posted On:
    8/31/2009 3:44pm

Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Fields View Post

Aaron Fields
    Well, my wife works, so I'm trying to decide if I want to bring the little one with me... I will try and let you know by Wednesday.

Posted On:
    8/31/2009 11:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Fields View Post

Aaron Fields
    Hey, my emails aren't getting to you. Like, I know that I am a gigantic spamoid and it doesn't help that the subject bar="hey fagwad!" but still...it's like you're on "The Well" or something.

Anyhow, Sunday I was working over the first half of what I'd like to go over; attacking the back-corner with Ko-Uchi gari as a principle attack. The front-corner being Uchimata, if I can I'll get some tape of it onto YT before leaving but its all gonna be segmented movement drills, footwork and shite.

You can see me briefly reviewing the fig8 with the leg, pull+row hands, hand-hip relationship etc etc etc. Blatant Katanishi&Kurinnoy rip-off!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckY2DciYS3M
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    9/01/2009 1:22am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The fact that I can't go to this seminar is giving me some serious grappling blue balls.

Posted On:
    9/01/2009 1:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Fried Chokin View Post
    The fact that I can't go to this seminar is giving me some serious grappling blue balls.
    Maybe we should double this one up and also call it the Pac NW ThrowDown!

hehehe -- then you could miss that one at the same time :icon_bril

Posted On:
    9/01/2009 2:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Much as I hate to say it; I’m afraid I’m not going to be able to make it either. Tried to find a baby sitter for this Saturday, but from the short list I have to choose from no one was available. Don’t think it would be fair to anyone else for me to bring my little girl along, I just think she would be in the way more than she would not.

Thanks for the consideration guys and hopefully I will catch up to you next time.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast