Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/25/2009 8:25am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BjjJudo double noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kaizentao in DC (systema-like bs?)

Hey everybody. I trained with this group in Washington DC for a couple of weeks before financial issues forced me to stop. When I first met the instructor, Thong Nguyen, they were advertising themselves as a Systema group. He then changed the group name to Kaizentao. I will possibly be working in the area again and was thinking about training with them again because I did like some of the concepts presented. However, in my short time with them I never saw any sparring (Thong said we pick up the intensity when we get more experience, but I already know all the underlying bullshit behind that type of thinking). We worked on knife disarms a couple of time, and the training methodology was just like this: YouTube - Systema Vladimir Vasiliev
    I have a feeling that this group is almost as full of **** as the Ki Chuan Do folks, because Thong claims to teach law enforcement people, liked to fight gangs when he was a teenager, etc. Here is Thong Nguyen's personal website and the website for the martial arts group: http://www.thongfoto.com/
    http://www.kaizentao.com/2401.html
    Can anyone take a gander and let me know if my qualms about returning to cross-training with this group is justified?

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    8/25/2009 3:59pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks pretty godawful. Come train with me at primal fitness.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/25/2009 4:04pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Hedgehogey. I will definitely not be returning there. While the Systema clip does not have any of the people i met there, we trained in the exact same fashion. Where is Primal Fitness located? I live in Stafford, VA.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2009 4:34pm

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol
    there's a pretty awesome youtube channel as well
    http://www.youtube.com/user/KaizenTao
    and here we get to watch a "boxer" hit Mr. Thong in the belly. Neat!
    YouTube - KaizenTao - Strike Absorption w/ Boxer

and now I'm putting the popcorn in the microwave...
    Guess what! They do groundfighting!
    YouTube - KaizenTao - Group Class
    Last edited by NoTeefa; 8/25/2009 4:39pm at .

Posted On:
    8/25/2009 6:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It seems they work with Secours

YouTube - KaizenTao - Strikes w/ Kevin Secours

After watching the guy grappling:

YouTube - systema - using movement in grappling

I'd give the place a try.

Not MABS material imo.

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    8/25/2009 7:10pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bgeezy69 View Post
    Thanks Hedgehogey. I will definitely not be returning there. While the Systema clip does not have any of the people i met there, we trained in the exact same fashion. Where is Primal Fitness located? I live in Stafford, VA.
    NY ave. NW DC. Primal-fitness.com. 80$ a month for unlimited BJJ or Judo and a discount for both.

Jesus that guy's personal site. CHECK OUT ALL THE LAYDEEZ I GET TO DO PRIVATE PHOTOSHOOTS WITH ME ;-)

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 7:26am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the info and help Hedgehogey. I'll be at your gym on either Monday or Tuesday next week. What would be the discount for both Judo and BJJ?
    Yeah, those ladies do get the loins tingling. I have a feeling the excessive cost per class ($35/class if you pay as you go, 2 classes a week, $120 up front for the whole month) is to fund myriad attempts at seducing his models haha.
    DCS, does Secours have a good reputation, in your opinion?
    Haha NoTeefa. The couple of times I was there Thong spoke about that incident in the video when "the boxer" hit him. He would go on at length about how their style of striking penetrates your organs, where "boxing-style" punches are easier to be resisted. I'm sure that makes sense in some alternate reality haha. It's too bad I will never get to ask him why they only punch standing perpendicular to partner while they remain motionless; I guess it's easier to penetrate the spleen when it's open like a 7-11 for the one doing the hitting.
    Last edited by bgeezy69; 8/26/2009 7:50am at .

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 7:51am

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bgeezy69 View Post
    DCS, does Secours have a good reputation, in your opinion?
    Here's what forum member Sambosteve (American Sambo Assoc. President) said about Secours:

The guy in tan pants is Kevin Secours. He is very good. I have trained with him. But, what you may not know is that he was very skilled in grappling and martial arts before he began training systema. I don't want to speak for him, but I suspect systema informed his grappling, but did not give him the grappling foundation that he has. I believe he has a more realistic view of what systema can and can't offer. He is a great guy. very talented.
    No BS MMA and Martial Arts - View Single Post - Systema Warriors Part II, This Time it's Personal

So I think Kaizentao is not BS and they can offer useful things if you have a solid martial arts background.

However, Primal Fitness, the place Hedge suggested, seems to be an awesome place, with very good instruction and reasonable price. Give Primal Fitness a try and then decide yourself.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 8:26am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks DCS. I'm going to check out Primal Fitness next week. I don't think I have the martial arts experience to really maximize what kaizentao is offering, especially since it seems to be just concepts, etc. that can be applied to an existing skill base.