Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/25/2009 12:08am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

US Open Karate Breaking Competition

I'm watching a "creative" breaking competition, where people compete to break boards and concrete slabs "creatively". I've noticed people kick differently in the competition, especially back kicks and side kicks. I would almost say that they aren't kicking correctly. I also notice that the competitors who kick different are also the competitors who look the most out of shape. However, they manage to break an impressive amount of boards/concrete. Anyone else notice this? This isn't like TKD acrobatic board breaking. This is a power breaking where they stack up 8-16 slabs of concrete.

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    8/25/2009 12:28am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, they're kicking correctly.

Correct is a relative thing. Fighting correct is not the same as breaking hard braced objects correct.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/25/2009 1:13am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How are they kicking incorrectly?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2009 1:29am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra View Post
    How are they kicking incorrectly?
    Instead of an opponent's face at the end of their foot, there is just some lousy brick or board.

Posted On:
    8/25/2009 11:32am

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't forget they don't use real concrete blocks. They are made with lots of salt same as the ICe break. I challange them to break a slab of sidewalk concrete....

Posted On:
    8/25/2009 11:36am

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Video and pics would help this thread. Plus specific analysis regarding the aspects of technique in question.

Breaking inanimate things requires technique, both in the strike and in the setup.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2009 11:40am

Style: No-Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sempaiman View Post
    Don't forget they don't use real concrete blocks. They are made with lots of salt same as the ICe break. I challange them to break a slab of sidewalk concrete....
    Some of those guys do have some awesome power generation, and can break some impressive stuff. The funny part about breaking competitions is that they care about number of boards/slabs broken by a fighter, rather than ability of a fighter to fight. It's like having an egg breaking competition for chefs. Maybe someone can break 300 eggs a minute. That doesn't make him a decent chef.

It's all very silly, but don't be fooled: Quite a few people can generate impressive power through breaking. Give credit where credit is due.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/25/2009 6:29pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyril View Post
    Some of those guys do have some awesome power generation, and can break some impressive stuff. The funny part about breaking competitions is that they care about number of boards/slabs broken by a fighter, rather than ability of a fighter to fight. It's like having an egg breaking competition for chefs. Maybe someone can break 300 eggs a minute. That doesn't make him a decent chef.

It's all very silly, but don't be fooled: Quite a few people can generate impressive power through breaking. Give credit where credit is due.
    I'm sure what you are saying is true Cyril, but there is clearly a huge amount of posturing in these comps. Instead of stacking all of the boards together, they (from what I have seen) place spacers inbetween. In my TKD days we did breaks with the boards touching. Placing spacers makes it easier. Now correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that so guys can appear to be stronger than they are.

Therefore it wouldn't surprise me if the blocks we in some way altered before they broke.

Still these guys can some serious power in their technique. If you give them a good five minutes to get it ready.

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    8/25/2009 10:54pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnsey View Post
    I'm sure what you are saying is true Cyril, but there is clearly a huge amount of posturing in these comps. Instead of stacking all of the boards together, they (from what I have seen) place spacers inbetween. In my TKD days we did breaks with the boards touching. Placing spacers makes it easier. Now correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that so guys can appear to be stronger than they are.

Therefore it wouldn't surprise me if the blocks we in some way altered before they broke.

Still these guys can some serious power in their technique. If you give them a good five minutes to get it ready.
    I'm sure the show wants to make them look stronger then any real man for non ma's, but I will say that its fair as it is a competition and everyone hits the same kind of stuff

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 12:57am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's crazy is, some of 'em still babble on about chi.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast