Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    none
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A Total Newbie to Martial Arts and ?s

Hello everyone and its really nice and exciting joining in a site like this! I accidentally got into this site while I was looking for more stuff about Drunken Boxing. First off, I'm only 18 yrs old and never been in any martial art before. I really have no clue about some 8 immortal stuff people talk about (sorry) and I'm really getting curious to the point of I wanna try and pursue an art when I get to the states sometime soon. (since I'll be living in California) I've been thinking off finding a Drunken Boxing Dojo or School out in the states when I get there. I'm a big fan of Jackie Chan and his moves really inspires me to try an art. (haven't watched the drunken series tho) I won't be trying an art just because of that but because I wanna try and change my habits and at the same time reach for goals to prove to myself that I've really changed from a lazy-video gamer to a much more DEFINED PERSON. Is Drunken Boxing good for a starter like me or should I go for an another art first? What are the things that I should prepare before going to enroll in an art? Physically and Mentally? Should I be athletic at first hand? I rarely exercise because of my habits and I plan to really lessen it. Please help out a total newbie.

Outmost Thanks in Advance,
    Pamboo

Style
    Judo & BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You'll find that most people here are not fans of traditional chinese martial arts, at least if they are not trained in an "alive" manner. That is, they're not trained with full resistance and contact. Most Chinese arts are not trained this way. Read the FAQ, especially on how to find a martial arts school.

A few Chinese arts have alive training (e.g. Sanda). If you're set on taking a Chinese art, others here can help you with that.

If you take a good art, it won't matter whether you're out of shape or not. You'll get in shape. If you don't think you'll get in shape from the work outs you see, you're probably not doing the right sort of thing.

Style
    BJJ blue, judo ikkyu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not sure Drunken Boxing is even a real style.

I recommend finding a solid school--we can help with that--and trying class at it.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Read this thread:

Drunken Fist - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

Try to ignore the bickering.

Style
    MT and judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Watch ong bak and get inspired by Tony Jaa to do muay thai.

Seriously though, what Chan (and Jaa) do in their films is awesome but it has almost nothing to do with fighting. If you want to improve your fighting ability the last thing you want to be thinking about is martial arts films.

There are several well respected fighting arts out there and if you stick around the forums a while you'll get a feel for what they are (HINT: muay thai is one of them).

If you want to do the kinds of things you see in the films (and there's no shame in that) you might be better off taking gymnastics lessons.

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by galois View Post

If you want to do the kinds of things you see in the films (and there's no shame in that) you might be better off taking gymnastics lessons.
    No, he can actually find a good modern wushu school. He'll get to learn drunken performance forms, which will fill his CMA happy place, and he will get fit.

As long as he understands, that modern wushu is not a fighting art he'll be fine.

Style
    MT and judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    No, he can actually find a good modern wushu school. He'll get to learn drunken performance forms, which will fill his CMA happy place, and he will get fit.

As long as he understands, that modern wushu is not a fighting art he'll be fine.

Fair enough.

Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I prefer the first Drunken Master to the sequel.

You don't have to be athletic when you start out. Unless you're incredibly overweight and can't stand for more than a few minutes, I'd say you're ok just to start. Let the training turn you into an athlete. You can add physical training after you begin.
    As for what art to take up, you'll find this website will usually suggest the following (and with good reason):
    -Judo
    -BJJ
    -Muay Thai
    -Boxing
    -any other art that has full-contact sparring.

The question comes down to, what do YOU want?

You mention admiring Jacki Chan and wanting to do similar stuff. That's cool, if that's what you want, but know that many on these forums don't consider those to be real fighting styles. If you want to learn to fight, then consider the forementioned martial arts.

Welcome to Bullshido!
    "The pedant is he who finds it impossible to read criticism of himself without immediately reaching for his pen and replying to the effect that the accusation is a gross insult to his person. He is, in effect, a man unable to laugh at himself."Sigmund Freud, The Ego and the Id.

Style
    none
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First off, I wanna thank everyone who did reply about my post. I think, I should go for other CMAs rather than Drunken Boxing because the core of it might be have been vanished in some of these days instructors or they might have really known just a tiny bit of it. (but that just me sorry) And according to what Sir Danni said, I've decided to go for Karate. (I think it really requires so much sparring) Specifically to what they called "Shaolin Boxing" with the mix of hand and feet techniques. I really wanted to know how to fight so I'll be able to protect myself when I'm usually alone when I go home or at an unusual place since pursuing a nursing career. Lastly, be able to have self-fulfillment in life when I've atleast learned the core and be able to apply it in my life with the fighting style I've chosen.

Thanks a bunch for everyone's thoughts and suggestions.
    ~Pamboo

PS: I'm sorry for the sometimes not sensible english. It's not my main language.

Thread closed I guess. :p

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pamboo View Post
    First off, I wanna thank everyone who did reply about my post. I think, I should go for other CMAs rather than Drunken Boxing because the core of it might be have been vanished in some of these days instructors or they might have really known just a tiny bit of it. (but that just me sorry)
    All evidence points to it being made up. So, there was never a core to disappear. There was drunken footwork and drunken fist forms in various styles. There is an interview somewhere that has Jackie Chan admitting he made his forms up for Drunken Master.

That is it that can be proven.

And according to what Sir Danni said, I've decided to go for Karate. (I think it really requires so much sparring) Specifically to what they called "Shaolin Boxing" with the mix of hand and feet techniques. I really wanted to know how to fight so I'll be able to protect myself when I'm usually alone when I go home or at an unusual place since pursuing a nursing career. Lastly, be able to have self-fulfillment in life when I've atleast learned the core and be able to apply it in my life with the fighting style I've chosen.
    Make sure you look for the correct karate. There are just as many crappy karate schools out there as crappy CMA schools.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last