Sponsored Links Spacer Image

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 8:15pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurky View Post
    My 7 yr old little sister was watching a Cage Rage re-run I had recorded on Sky+. She is now convinced she is Mark Weir and keeps kicking me in the knees. I told her she was adopted and she started crying. Woops
    you should have just tougth her some MA, before she thinks she's found the T3H D34Dly at a TKD Dojang

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 9:47pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't see what the problem is at all. There is much worse stuff on tv for kids to be watching than Nickelodeon. Besides, MMA is popular culture. The kids that watch ICarly have parents that watch MMA (that's me). When I have to fucking sit through ICarly, I love seeing Bas pop up in a commercial b/c I get to point out to my son (6 yo) he was a great mma champ. And by the way...people who make commercials know that dads like me have to sit through those dumb ass shows.

My son watches MMA w/ me. He loves it, but mostly because I do and he likes what I like. We "wrestle" everyday and he knows the difference between bjj rules and mma rules...because we wrestle under both on different occasions (obviously he's six years old and I'm about 225lbs...so I only go about 50% on him). He's been training bjj for about 16 months now and they incorporated MT into the class about 8 months ago...we watch the fights together and talk bjj the whole time calling out submission attempts, MT kicks and **** like that.

He is a tough, rough kid...with me. But he wouldn't hurt a fly outside of the bed or floor that we wrestle on...hell, that's his biggest hurdle in his training now (being aggressive towards other kids...he doesn't want to hurt anyone). Although he is being taught how to choke and punch people, outside the gym he is an extremely kind, intelligent, courteous little boy who has benefited from a Montessori education since the day he turned 18 months old. He likes to play dress up, has attended theater camp, and loves music and singing (no I don't think he is gay, though we both have a man-crush on the avett brothers).

My point is this...watching a limited amount of tv, no matter how dumb, stupid, or unrealistic isn't going to turn any well taken care of and supervised kid into a steroid loving WWE maniac who wants to fight in the UFC. Don't blame tv...which by nature is going to be fucking stupid and unrealistic the vast majority of the time, for the failure of lazy and ignorant parents.

My son got a kick out of that ICarly show, seeing them in an octagon where he sees bjj every few weekends w/ dad. I didn't see anything wrong with it.

But God forbid they show two teenagers (in some sort of mock) fighting...girls nonetheless!!!!!!! Christ almighty...fighting isn't for girls! What kind of messages are we relying on tv to teach our children! That girls can do pretty much anything guys can do? Where is Sharia law when we need it?

BTW...I have a 3 year old girl who watches every class my son attends (twice a week) and can often be found on the mat trying to shrimp w/ the rest of the class. She loves wrestling too and already has her eye on a hot pink gi that she is asking for on her 5th birthday (b/c she knows she has to be 5 to start bjj).

My kids are awesome. They love to fight w/ me but neither of them want to fight MMA. My son says he doesn't want to do mma b/c he doesn't like to get punched in the face. He does want a bjj black belt when he turns 21. He's on his way there.

My daughter I'm afraid might be heading to the strip clubs as she enjoys playing dress up w/ feathered boas and clear heals. I can only hope she hates the smell of brass polish and vanilla. No doubt like most parents I should probably blame tv for this. In any case, she'll know bjj and hopefully no matter what bad decisions she makes in life, she'll at least be able to choke someone out if the need ever calls.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 10:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't see what the problem is at all.
    There was no problem. This was a point and laugh thread, and my opening sentence was an (Apparently poor) attempt at sarcasm.

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 10:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Montessori education since the day he turned 18 months old.
    shiver, everyone I've met from that is fucking weird and I met them all years after they started going to conventional schools...

I still see MMA in children shows as positive as they grow up seeing it in a better light and not as a blood sport but a really tough sport.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/27/2009 7:41am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sley View Post
    shiver, everyone I've met from that is fucking weird and I met them all years after they started going to conventional schools...
    That's interesting...but doesn't match w/ my experiences so far. The Montessori School of Raleigh is one of the best in the country and I couldn't be more pleased with the way it has influenced my kids.

I don't doubt your experiences though...there are a bunch of weird ass rich kids at those schools. But...I'd rather have my son share a lunch table with weird rich kids than with ghetto ass broke kids. Sorry to say...and I wish it wasn't that way, but until socio-economic status stops having any relationship to educational opportunities...I'm going to keep giving my kids all the advantages they can get.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    8/27/2009 8:00am

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My kids wanted to watch the iCarly episode in the worst way, but they were very disappointed with the fight. I had to explain that there's a reason you don't see the UFC or Strikeforce promoting MMA fights between young teenaged girls, and it's the same reason you won't see it on a Disney sitcom.

I did wonder if there were some genuine UFC fans writing, if only because of the announcers. You don't really see them for long, but there are two announcers at the MMA event. One of them makes a sort of rhetorical flourish about the Marx character's record, and the other one upstages him a little, to which he replies, "Thanks a lot for making me look stupid--again!"

Little nod to Goldberg/Rogan there.

iCarly did another episode on MMA, actually, where the kids met the son of an MMA fighter who reminded me of Rampage without a personality. I actually thought they subverted expectations a little on that one. Carly's big brother and the producer kid's mother don't want to let them go to the MMA fights because "those things get brutal, and it's not really a place for kids." They sneak out anyway, of course, and go backstage to interview the fighter.

The standard trope at this point would be that the fighter has a heart of gold and is even kind of a sissy outside the ring, the brother shows up, picks a fight with him and breaks his nose. We all learn that MMA fighters are really just big softies in real life and we shouldn't judge by appearances, and the brother was wrong to judge MMA, and the kids were right to sneak out.

Nope. The brother shows up, the MMA guy takes offense at something inconsequential and puts him through a table. Then the interview goes on. Nobody appears to learn anything, but you could stretch the point to say they learned that the brother's not as dumb as he looks and they shouldn't sneak out of the house to do dumb things.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2009 10:38am

Style: BJJ/MuayThai/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We "wrestle" everyday and he knows the difference between bjj rules and mma rules...because we wrestle under both on different occasions (obviously he's six years old and I'm about 225lbs...so I only go about 50% on him).
    50%???
    My friends (who don't train) believe that my 50% is 100%. Perhaps we use a different measure of 50%.

My point is this...watching a limited amount of tv, no matter how dumb, stupid, or unrealistic isn't going to turn any well taken care of and supervised kid into a steroid loving WWE maniac who wants to fight in the UFC. Don't blame tv...which by nature is going to be fucking stupid and unrealistic the vast majority of the time, for the failure of lazy and ignorant parents.
    I don't hear this enough. Too many parents blame the TV for their lack of parenting.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/27/2009 10:56am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by permahudef View Post
    50%???
    My friends (who don't train) believe that my 50% is 100%. Perhaps we use a different measure of 50%.
    No...probably not...I was just (apparently very ineffectively) being sarcastic. :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2009 11:07am

Style: BJJ/MuayThai/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No...probably not...I was just (apparently very ineffectively) being sarcastic. :)
    Then I am fail for missing the blatent joke.:suicide:

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    8/27/2009 10:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by permahudef View Post
    50%???

I don't hear this enough. Too many parents blame the TV for their lack of parenting.
    Parents should make their kids watch the history channel, they'll end up way smarter...
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast