Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/30/2009 12:42am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The "distraction" you are talking about is the High-Low principle. A solid basic in every striking art which spars.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    10/30/2009 3:40am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    The "distraction" you are talking about is the High-Low principle. A solid basic in every striking art which spars.
    Pedantic. whatever its called it works and is taught for a reason

Featherweight

153-155 Limestone Cres, North York, ON, CA

Posted On:
    10/30/2009 10:56am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't agree that a jumping kick style (or whatever you guys were talking about) is more effective than a Thai kick.

I believe every weapon/style has a place.

It's more about the strategy of when and why you use any weapon.

Posted On:
    10/30/2009 11:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't stress Jen, we were talking about feints, only the last couple of posters mistook a step across roundhouse for a feint then roundhouse. I don't think anyone will argue that the Dutch way of throwing the roundhouse is any more effective than the Thai way, both work for different people in different scenarios.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Featherweight

153-155 Limestone Cres, North York, ON, CA

Posted On:
    10/30/2009 11:52am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    haha!... I'm not a hater on K1 or Dutch style Muay Thai. I know, I use it if need be.

I just think a lot of people get too caught up in the "better than" game instead of looking at the application.

I had the privilege of training with Kru Clifton the other day and his philosophies on strategy. Changed my whole world. Pretty cool stuff.

Posted On:
    10/30/2009 12:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you get bored i'd love to read about it in our training log section, you're a supporting member so you may as well use some of the cool benefits :smile:.

I completely agree with you on the application of techniques. i often use the Dutch style for rib kicks so i can get a better angle and Thai style for counter kicks for the speed. When you limit yourself to a small category of "right" techniques, you limit your growth as a fighter.
    Kenny Weldon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/30/2009 1:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    If you get bored i'd love to read about it in our training log section, you're a supporting member so you may as well use some of the cool benefits :smile:.

I completely agree with you on the application of techniques. i often use the Dutch style for rib kicks so i can get a better angle and Thai style for counter kicks for the speed. When you limit yourself to a small category of "right" techniques, you limit your growth as a fighter.
    A) Damn, I really need to get my membership sorted out :)

B) Zactly. I was coming to say that, but you beat me to it. You need a decent arsenal of weapons and the training to be able to use the appropriate weapon at the appropriate time. That comes from thousands of hours of drilling and sparring.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/25/2010 2:00pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GHemmer View Post
    So the other day in class we were drilling and the drill was step to 45 degree angle catch kick, cross, throw the leg way from you, hop step, then thai kick. I was just wondering if any of you have had success with the hop step in a fight or just sparring.
    It can be use under some circumstances, just be sure you are not being counter by low kick.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12