Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 1213 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/29/2009 8:33am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Acid The Great View Post
    oh geez, why do you people keep doing this to yourself? Lesnar's got this in the bag easily. As mmafan already said, virtually all of Brock's opponents have been top ranked. He's on a different level then Carwin and will dismantle him easily. Brock hasn't been challenged since Captain America. So please stop deluding yourself guys, it's getting sad.
    You realize that all you've said is that brock went one fight without being challenged. His fight before, challenged.

Two fights before that, lost.

Fight before that, fighting a nobody.

I'd also contend that on the feet Brock wasn't exactly smacking around frank mir this time around, and Mir ain't exactly Kongo or Overeem.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 9:20pm

Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Acid The Great View Post
    oh geez, why do you people keep doing this to yourself? Lesnar's got this in the bag easily. As mmafan already said, virtually all of Brock's opponents have been top ranked. He's on a different level then Carwin and will dismantle him easily. Brock hasn't been challenged since Captain America. So please stop deluding yourself guys, it's getting sad.
    I don't think Lesnar's striking is superior to Carwin's. Carwin has shown crisp striking and incredible knockout power. That could definitely win him the fight.

Carwin has a good chance if he can keep it on the feet. If Lesnar takes him down though, I feel like Carwin will probably be controlled. Lesnar's top game looked good in his last fight, and I have a feeling that'll be the main weapon Lesnar will rely on.

Posted On:
    9/05/2009 12:15pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Carwin is a Division II collegiate wrestling champion. He was also an All American linebacker. He. Is. A. Beast.

His wrestling ability and strength will keep this fight standing.

Carwin by TKO/KO in Round 1.

Posted On:
    9/05/2009 12:18pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mmafan3450 View Post
    Ok ...youre obviously missing the point. The point is you, and everyone else, are hugging Carwin's tiny steroid deflated balls for no reason.
    And you're making out with Lesnar's HGH-inflated noggin'?

Please.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2009 6:55am

Style: Brawling, Judo, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This would be a cool fight. Not as cool as Aleksandr Karelin coming out of retirement to smack Lesnar around like he owed him some rubles, but still cool. Seriously, though, I'd pay a month's check to see Lesnar fall victim to a Karelin lift.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2009 2:22pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Listen closely. Im not even attempting to argue that Brock is great. So saying that I am nut hugging him is stupid. My whole argument is that Carwin has done nothing to support the reputation and worship he is getting . He has not demonstrated any impressive MMA skills. He does not deserve a title shot and the only reason people are worshipping him is because everyone hates Lesnar.

Knocking out someone who has no striking skills is not impressive. Outwrestling someone who is not a strong grappler is not impressive and neither is grounding and pounding someone half your size. The previous statements describe all his matches except for Gonzaga who almost beat him in about a minute, and would have if he wasnt an idiot.

If this is not true then please tell me in which match he looked impressive and I will be happy to tell you how wrong you are.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    9/09/2009 2:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would say those wins are great examples of exploiting his opponents' weaknesses.

Carwin's tough and well-rounded, where as Brock is tough and specialized. I don't know for sure who would win or lose, but I'm just waiting for Nog or Mir to get up there anyways.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2009 2:43pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He's not any more well rounded than the people he beat. Just bigger and stronger.

Posted On:
    9/09/2009 3:25pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mmafan3450 View Post

Knocking out someone who has no striking skills is not impressive. Outwrestling someone who is not a strong grappler is not impressive and neither is grounding and pounding someone half your size. The previous statements describe all his matches except for Gonzaga who almost beat him in about a minute, and would have if he wasnt an idiot.

If this is not true then please tell me in which match he looked impressive and I will be happy to tell you how wrong you are.
    That's ridiculous as an argument. Why would you stand up with someone who's a good striker? Why would you grapple with someone who's a good grappler? Why wouldn't you take someone down when they're smaller than you? You don't play to the opposition's strengths. You can't get more basic than that as far as strategy goes.

Posted On:
    9/09/2009 4:54pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Two points:

1) Anyone who thinks Lesnar is only winning because he's huge is feebleminded. In addition to being an amazing natural athlete, the guy is an enormously decorated legit wrestler. Wrestling is one of the most effective fighting methods in the world. There's a long history of guys crossing over from that background and doing well.

2) I have seen no one calling Carwin the second coming. What I do see is a number of people, myself included, who think he happens to have the right mix of attributes and skills to bring the fight to Lesnar's weaknesses.

For those of you who'd like an opinion from someone who has a bit more perspective on the matter, we now turn to Ron Waterman (wrestler turned MMA fighter, Carwin's high school wrestling coach, Lesnar's old roommate):

On Carwin's cardio:

I dont think cardio will be a question with him. [ ... ] Hes a wrestler, training up at altitude, training extremely hard. He prepares five rounds for a three-round fight. Hes definitely got the cardio to go hard for five rounds.
    On relative strength:

I think Brock would have to have the edge on physical strength. He probably walks around a little bit heavier than Shane. But its not a huge difference. Theyre both extremely strong. I might give athleticism to Brocks side, but the technique to Shane a little more. Hes come along with his ground and stand-up. Hes got good submissions now.
    Wrestling accomplishments:

Both were national champions. They had a few similar opponents. I had Brock in town with me here in Greeley [ ... ] I introduced them [ ... ] six or seven years ago. They were talking back and forth about Stephen Neal and other common opponents they had wrestled against. They had real similar outcomes.
    Who gets the takedown?

Its really hard to say. If they come in to wrestle, Brock might get the first takedown. But if Shane plays his cards right and is looking to defend and keeping him away and setting it up with punching, Id give it to Shane.
    Read the full Sherdog interview for more.
    Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 1213 LastLast