8/21/2009 11:58pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Helmet Boxing...

http://wcbstv.com/topstories/helmet.....2.244576.html

by Cindy Hsu
    NEW YORK (CBS) ― Click to enlarge1 of 1
    Helmet boxing has become very popular among teens, but parents need to be more aware of their children's involvement in the sport. CBS

Close

numSlides of totalImages

A dangerous new "sport" that's become the latest knockout for children is also taking the Internet video community by storm. It's called "helmet boxing" and many health officials are warning that parents should familiarize themselves with the rules.

For A.J. Pacheco, with summer vacation just beginning, it's now time to look forward to friends, fun, and plenty of helmet boxing. "I first heard about helmet boxing from a friend at school who was on the hockey team," Pacheco told CBS 2.

Helmet boxing is an underground sport that's just beginning to surface, especially on Internet video sites such as YouTube. To play, each individual dons a helmet with a face mask, along with a pair of gloves, and then each hits each other in the head until someone passes out, a helmet gets knocked off, or someone simply throws in the towel.

"We only do head shots, only around the helmet. No punching behind anyone, no punching below the helmet," Pacheco said.

A quick search on YouTube pulls up hundreds of amateur videos, proving the game is now becoming a popular garage sport with kids as young as 13. But doctors are warning that even though they are wearing helmets, they are still at risk for bodily harm.

"I think there is a false sense of security if you're using gloves and a helmet that you're protected and that nothing is going to happen," said Dr. Andrew Gregory of the American Academy of Pediatrics.

Pacheco learned firsthand just how dangerous helmet boxing can be. He landed in the emergency room needing 10 stitches across his chin. Dr. Fred Mueller, who studies sports injuries at the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill, says helmet boxing could also result in concussion.

"My concern would be if they get injured while they're helmet boxing and don't realize they have a slight concussion and go out on the field the next day and get another blow," Mueller said.

Boxers like Pacheco insist the matches are strictly "horseplay," but both Mueller and Gregory agree that parents and coaches alike should question their children about the sport. "If parents know that this is going on, ask their sons or daughters, or usually sons I would guess, have they ever participated in this type of activity?" Mueller said.

"If an injury does happen, then the kid is more likely to come and tell their parent and not try to hide it," Gregory added.

While the American Academy of Pediatrics has no "official stance" on helmet boxing, Gregory said they do consider it to be on the "same playing field as regular boxing," which has been deemed unsafe for "young children with developing brains."

Still, Pacheco's parents are allowing their son to continue fighting after watching a few matches, though they do admit they're not 100 percent comfortable with it. "As long as everyone has their chin straps on safe and everything's secure, they don't seem to mind," Pacheco said.

This is just retarded, it takes all the fail of Backyard MMA and multiplies it by ten thousand, just wondering what all of you think about this new tardtastic sport thingy!

I tried searching and nothing came up...

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/22/2009 12:55am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm predicting lots of effed up necks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2009 3:03am

Style: Judo (injury), ETS-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sley View Post

This is just retarded, it takes all the fail of Backyard MMA and multiplies it by ten thousand, just wondering what all of you think about this new tardtastic sport thingy!

I tried searching and nothing came up...
    Whatever. When I reproduce, I'm going to make this mandatory for my spawn beginning on their 5th birthday.

On the plus side, it should teach kids to keep their hands up and chin down. Shitty full-contact psuedo-boxing is still better than shitty wrist-grabbing.

I hate how the article tried to play it up as a dangerous sport that will give your kids PTSD if they do it. It's kind of a given that getting hit repeatedly in the head = potential TBI. Kids beating the **** out each other builds character and social skills.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2009 3:15am

Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's almost like kids do stupid ****

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/22/2009 4:58am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think its been mentioned here before as "locker boxing".

Less risk of contusions and lacerations, but definitely a risk of concussion.

FWIW, when my son was a teenager he participated in a backyard boxing match with a guy who later turned out to have hepatitis C. Since my son got the other guy's blood all over him, he had a real fun week or so waiting to learn whether he'd contracted the disease. Oh, and the guy he beat committed suicide a few weeks later.

Kids do very, very stupid ****.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2009 10:10am

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    why not just go into a real boxing club ?

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    8/22/2009 10:11am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by vile_zoidberg View Post
    Whatever. When I reproduce, I'm going to make this mandatory for my spawn beginning on their 5th birthday.

On the plus side, it should teach kids to keep their hands up and chin down. Shitty full-contact psuedo-boxing is still better than shitty wrist-grabbing.

I hate how the article tried to play it up as a dangerous sport that will give your kids PTSD if they do it. It's kind of a given that getting hit repeatedly in the head = potential TBI. Kids beating the **** out each other builds character and social skills.
    I will say its nice how they face punch, I never face punched before I did MA's...

Posted On:
    8/22/2009 1:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damnit, none of my friends would have done that growing up. Robbed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2009 3:39pm

Style: TKD, wrestling, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Common where I grew up, typically with hockey players in the locker room.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    8/22/2009 3:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by honest_truth View Post
    why not just go into a real boxing club ?
    That would require dedication, hard work, and uncomfortably when one doesn't feel like it .

... besides who wants to really learn how to do something when you can just fake your way through being the bad ass you keep telling your friends you are .

Imagine what would happen if you found out you are a clueless little dipshit .

Now don't get me wrong here . There is nothing wrong with kids being kids and playing rough games ... but when it becomes wide spread, the kids need to be aware that while it may be fun there is NOTHING worth while being imparted .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast