Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/21/2009 11:22pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Martial Arts in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Hi all,

Pardon if this is the wrong section to post, I've read the titles of all the sections and figured this is the most appropriate.

I've just moved near Fort Lauderdale, Florida (Plantation). I'm looking for a new martial arts school. I've already done some research, paid for trial classes at one school and plan to trial another school. However, I thought I'd ask on Bullshido for recommendations and suggestions. I'm looking for a traditional martial arts school, but with medium-full contact continuous sparring. If you know of a good school in the area like this, please let me know. Any other general comments/advice relating to this is also welcome.

* I thought I may list an example of the school I'm looking for. I'm looking for something like Kung Fu + Sanda or Kyokushin karate. I like the traditions involved with TDMA, like forms and belt rankings, but I want to implement the style in medium/full contact continuous sparring sessions. I am open to suggestions of other styles, but I would like it to be mainly stand up striking.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/22/2009 1:22am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to South Florida. I'm in Coconut Creek.

I know very little of the more "traditional" arts in the area (though I am taking judo), but this place seems to have some competitive fighters and the option to cross-train. Their videos also show they compete in full-contact fights. Realize I have zero information on this place other than I bookmarked it at one time when I was looking for a place to train.

http://www.floridakungfu.com/sanshou.htm

It should be pretty close to you, right across from the Broward Mall on Broward Blvd. at University.
    Official member of the Bruce Buffer 360 War Wagon

Posted On:
    8/22/2009 2:04am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks WC, I've actually paid for a trial at the place you mentioned.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/22/2009 2:33am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by quatin View Post
    Thanks WC, I've actually paid for a trial at the place you mentioned.
    Excellent. From the Web site, at least, it looks solid. Looks like they train actual fighters and have opportunities for cross-training.

Make sure the contracts are reasonable and before you sign, tell the instructor what you want out of it, i.e., I want to fight MMA, kickbox, just get in shape, whatever you want.

Also, I'd make sure they have regular sparring (preferably every class).

Let us know how the place is once you've had a class or two. There are lots of South Florida Bullies on here who might be interested in popping in.
    Official member of the Bruce Buffer 360 War Wagon

Posted On:
    8/23/2009 1:04am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Their Kung Fu classes have no sparring. The only sparring is in the Sanshou, MMA and BJJ classes. The fighting courses are pretty good, but the schedule doesn't quite fit with mine.