Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2009 7:43pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Post-Op need advice...

No it isn't a sex change operation (my co-workers have been making jokes all week). Earlier today I had a septoplasy and a turbinate (?) reduction. Basically they put me under general anestesia and shaved some cartilage on the inside of my nose that was constricting one of the nostrils thereby allowing allergens to accumulate and making me sick all the time. I was out of the hospital about 20 minutes after I woke up though I am still kind of woozy.
    My nose is still bleeding and I have to change the gauze every couple of hours but I was told it'll clot adequately within 24 hours. I have two splints inside my nose that I have to remove tommorow so the bleeding may resume for a bit. Anyway the doctor said no sudden movements for the first couple of days (I am screwed if I have to sneeze) and no contact sports for the first week. I can be back to work on Monday but the doctor advised me to wait a month before going back to grappling.
    I know I should stick to the doctor's advice, being a professional and all, but I was wondering if any members had any suggestions. I wonder if I should wait longer so as not to risk it. Anyone have similar experience with this kind of surgergy or something similar? I could really use the advice.
    Oh and please forgive my writing, I am still getting off the meds so everything is a bit of a blur.

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    8/21/2009 7:54pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't you dare disregard a doctors advice, they study medicine for years! lots and lots of years, try watching scrubs, they try hard, yes sometimes they mess up, but they feel bad, and their is usually a silly shenanigans involved!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2009 7:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't plan to disobey doctor's orders. I wanted to know if I should wait longer or if anyone had similar experiences/advice.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    8/21/2009 8:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're worried about it, you can get one of those face cages they use for boxing and grapple in that.

Posted On:
    8/21/2009 8:10pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i advise to get punched straight to the nose as quickly as you can...

or maybe you could listen to your doc... hm, hard choice

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2009 8:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    again, intend to wait the month he told me to...wondering if i should wait longer. i value his opinion as a doctor, however, he is not a wrestler so i'd like more perspectives preferrably from somone whose had a similar surgery experience. thanks for the facemask suggestion btw, will def invest in that.

Posted On:
    8/21/2009 8:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had this done about a year ago after years of shitty breathing due to my nose mending badly. I think my doctor only told me to stop Judo for a week, which I did, but I do remember taking a stiff-but-no-big-deal slap in the nose that felt extra painful that worried me I might **** up the doctors work before I even got to enjoy it.

When I came back I was very conscious about trying to keep people off my face if they were about to land on me during a throw (should've just asked them not to land on me at all for awhile instead imo, oh well 20/20) and I'd tap if my face got smooshed during newaza.

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    8/21/2009 8:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: jkd concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OP,

Did you tell the doctor that you were a grappler? Hopefully the healing time he gave you took this fact into account. If not, then you need to speak with him again. It is his/her job to help you with this kind of thing.
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2009 9:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I asked when I could go back to physical activity and he said no contact sports for a week. I asked if grappling was included he said better give that a month. It seemed like he was ballparking....he plays football and doesn't grapple.

Posted On:
    8/21/2009 9:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally I'd do standing randori but no newaza for a month at least, and if possible, show him Youtube of what you do to get his opinion on timing.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates