Its around my waist.

Posted On:
    8/21/2009 3:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where do you teach that it's so strict?
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/21/2009 3:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's just how my instructor does things. Its balanced out a bit since we have quite a few different instructors teaching their take on things, but I wouldn't teach that way in my own academy necessarily.

Posted On:
    8/21/2009 3:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that as long as you study up on training/coaching methodology, and have a developed teaching philosophy to back up your purple, you're good to go.

Your "no drilling" policy seems overkill, but is tempered by the amount of time at white belt, plus the fact that you don't seem to be referring to dead drilling (reps) instead of resisting/alive drills.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/21/2009 4:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Situational rolling is basically fully live drilling. That I love. Simple reps I'm not a fan of once the basic motions are down.

Posted On:
    8/21/2009 4:08pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. Drilling for white belts, then simply tips and pointers in situational rolling could work fine.

2. May work to a certain extent, but this is a tough one. Most real world self-defense is awareness, avoidance, and de-escalation to be honest, and that's a difficult thing to teach. Even if you're just looking at the purely combative aspect of self-defense, taking into account 3 on one situations, blunt and bladed weapons, and firearms can be difficult and misleading.

3. So you're not going to cover mount, submissions from guard, or takedowns? If you are, that already is a curriculum. Sure, you can have a loose curriculum, and encourage students to experiment, but there are definitely some basic things that need to be covered. This would be a curriculum. (Not sure if I'm just reading your post the wrong way here.)

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/21/2009 4:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    2. May work to a certain extent, but this is a tough one. Most real world self-defense is awareness, avoidance, and de-escalation to be honest, and that's a difficult thing to teach.
    I think that it comes down to confidence more than anything. You gotta sell it.

Even if you're just looking at the purely combative aspect of self-defense, taking into account 3 on one situations, blunt and bladed weapons, and firearms can be difficult and misleading.
    I disagree. When I studied Japanese jiujitsu, they just used to jump us. Not maliciously of course, but they never let me take them out with tornado kicks or something. Turned out like you'd expect.

So you're not going to cover mount, submissions from guard, or takedowns? If you are, that already is a curriculum.
    No set or written curriculum.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    8/21/2009 4:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxThunderstone View Post
    Its around my waist.
    Every second of every day?

But srsly, why don't you have a bullshido tag? Just curious, baby girl, don't get mad, you know papa moosey loves you

:)

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    8/21/2009 4:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not just Thundestone, but Max Thunderstone. You simply can't get any more Thunderstone than that.

Wouldn't you have to drill at least a small amount to introduce new techniques to students? Or are you working on the premise that they would they know all the techniques once they'd passed through the white belt stage?
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    8/21/2009 5:34pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxThunderstone View Post
    In the near future I'm opening up an academy. Teaching private lessons in addition to my obligation to my current academy has been a useful tool in developing my teaching style. These are changes I'm thinking of implementing.
    Good luck, man.

A. No Drilling

I'm scrapping drilling after the white belt level. I'm replacing it with situational rolling in which the uke attacks, while the primary player is limited to a single technique or series. I start them off in the worst case scenario and usually toss in an impossible time constraint like 30 seconds or so. This is rough as hell on the body, but it gets results. Its also how I train myself.
    So you are wanting to drill (for a lack of a better word) into your students that a specific technique isn't limited to their comfort zone but can be applied in situations they may not have thought of?
    When doing this on yourself, you understand the limitations and are willfully accepting them.
    Be sure to lather on the positive reinforcement. Dudes will be fucking up more then succeeding and often it is harder on the mind, will and ego then on the body to fail and fail often before seeing and accepting the success.

B. Live self defense

Even in modern schools, the trend is often to seperate the self defense and drill it statically. One of the best systems I've encountered for teaching self defense was about 90% live or so. A lot of BJJ students don't quite realize that if it looks like they're sneaking up on people and strangling them, then thats exactly what they're being taught to do. They don't drill it live and often **** it up when they do it out in public.
    Like reaction fighting.
    Great tool.

C. No curriculum

One of the easiest ways to beat the **** out of my teammates is to step outside the curriculum. Its more of a liability than it is useful.
    How will you deal with the student that likes or needs to know what the schedule or curriculum is. Some guys just need to have things mapped out and while some will flourish in a structure-free environment, some will whither and wilt.
    Keep open the possibility that two separate classes might work best for different students.

Otherwise, like I said, sounds fun and seems like you have taken your experiences and given this a large amount of thought.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast