Sponsored Links Spacer Image

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    8/20/2009 5:38am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How to grow the sport of Judo and increase fundraising?

(I placed this here because it is a sport oriented question and I wanted it to be a wider discussion than it might get in the JMA forum.)

I recenty got emailed a survey by USA Judo. Here are my answers to two key questions. I'd like to hear other people's answers as well.

What suggestions do you have to grow the sport of judo in the United States?
    Being an Olympic sport is great. But Judo is so much more. It is a martial art with great self defense applications. It is becoming a workable (if not yet integral) part of Mixed Martial Arts, and it can be used as a compliment to wrestling and no-gi grappling. We have to promote those aspects of the art as much as the Olympic sport. We also have to get Judo in schools. It's a perfect compliment to wrestling and could be an "off season" sport for wrestlers or made part of an overall grappling program that includes wrestling, submission wrestling (nogi grappling), Brazillian jiujitsu (gi) and Judo.

What suggestions or ideas do you have regarding fundraising opportunities for USA Judo?
    Once again, getting Judo in the schools. Parents pay for kids sports. And it would increase the numbers of adult judoka over time as well. Also, I think a partnership with USA Wrestling is in order. USAW already promotes "jacket wrestling" and no-gi submission grappling. Why not get Judo and Judoka involved in that too?

Posted On:
    8/20/2009 6:17am

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo in schools is a good idea.

And if USA judo team were winning medals in Olympics/World Championships like the wrestling team does it would help to attract more people to the art and increase fundraising.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    8/20/2009 8:45am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    judo should be *required* in schools, but i know that won't happen.

the first step is getting it offered in schools.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    8/20/2009 8:51am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sponsor Manvel Gamburyan.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    8/20/2009 10:17am

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The fastest growing segment of the population that has interest in self defense and combat sports is the "MMA crowd". Go directly after them. My suggestions:

1) host grappling events under rules that give points for throws,takedowns, pins, and submissions - all the forte's of Judo. Invite the local BJJ clubs, MMA clubs, wrestling teams etc. I am confident that judo participants would fare well, and even if they lost they would open some eyes to how effective judo is.

2) Have local instructors do inexpensive or free seminars on "Judo in MMA". These could be collaborations between Judo clubs and other grappling schools, or just small events at local festivals.

3) Invite wrestling coaches (high school or college) to have their athletes cross-train in Judo. Judo skills would complement wrestling nicely, particularly if there is a no-gi instructor with some wrestling experience. Even if it is gi-on the technical skills would be worth mentioning as complementary to wrestling. And it could keep the young athletes competitive, out of trouble and sharp during off season.

4) Face the "uselessness in a fight" myth head on. A lot of folks think "judo has no strikes, so it sucks". You could show clips of judoka in gi doing drills, then cut to the same technique in a cage (a la Karo Parysian, Manny Gamburyan, et.al), or cut to the technique used in a street scenario.

6) My understanding is that many (most?) schools only practice the atemi-waza - if that's the right term for striking techniques - in kata, not in sparring. Maybe the next evolution would be to invite a school that specializes in striking to teach some seminars in Judo clubs. I mention in #2 that Judoka could offer their expertise to other schools...perhaps an exchange of ideas would be appropriate? I definitely think striking should be brought back to Judo if it's going to appeal to a new audience. There are advances enough in training equipment to make it safe to do so, and striking training would essentially complete the judo package.

I am looking at this from a consumer standpoint. The likely consumer of Judo is the young person that wants to "do what those fighters on TV do". This person and his parents look on the internet for a school near them. They find an affordable judo club - GREAT! But he looks at the judo club and sees an old-fashioned karate school where they wear those kimonos and belts and stuff, and all they do is toss each other around. What does this kid say? No way mom, that stuff doesn't work. I want an MMA school.

Judo consumers have changed. My view is that judo, and its marketing has to change as well. Judo may well contain the best all-around skill-set of any martial art, but in the minds of many folks it has devolved into a sport like TKD has. Go back to the roots of Judo and I believe that Judo will explode in popularity.

Just so you know where I'm coming from I'm not a judoka - I study a sort of blend of shooto/bjj. My grappling instructor is a Larry Hartsell Black belt, so Judo is NOT primary in our curriculum, but we do have some throws, sweeps, etc. from the Judo canon.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2009 10:34am

Style: Kyokushin

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Change the damn rules. Remove the dumb leg lock ban, remove or extend the time limit on the ground, make it the BJJ thrasher.

Posted On:
    8/20/2009 11:19am

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nevermind, Projecting sambo nuthuggery again.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2009 12:17pm

Style: default std

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From a selfish point of view - Introduce no-gi to comps and generally support it as part of national curriculum.

To tao.jonez' point, there's no coolness factor to judo right now (assuming there ever was) and that's what brings people through the doors -
    i.e. for smaller children and appeal to parents - look at blackbelt factory TKD... swishy uniforms/black gis, special clubs, constantly hyping all the child personal development crap - that draws parents in and the nonsense with gear is what keeps the kids there and then by word of mouth gets other kids there.
    for older teens/disaffected yoof - general perception of coolness - i.e. What MMA does well - no gi, heavily branded **** to wear to class that overlaps with everyday wear, perception that it's more contemporary and applicable.

To the contemporary and applicable comment again, more no-gi, if judo wants to tout its applicability to self-defense etc, this needs to begin to be emphasized. Back in the day when every one wore a good suit and you had something that you could reliably grip - sure gis were great, now with dress moving increasingly casual, why not teach how to apply the same skills when you don't have a sleeve, belt, pant leg available to you. Yeah sure you read everywhere "oh, it's very easy to adapt, blah blah blah" - I'm sure it is, so why not train it rather than just talk about it.

Posted On:
    8/20/2009 12:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some of these suggestions are wild, pie-in-the-sky drastic changes to the very entrenched judo culture. It sounds to me that Judowned/USA judo is looking for programs to implement that don't call for fundamental changes.

Feeder programs, feeder programs, feeder programs. More dojos, more people teaching judo. More self-defense classes and outreach.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Loving Father

Posted On:
    8/20/2009 1:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We gotz judo in our public schools, here.
    Although, most participants do not compete
    in wrestling. . .and vice versa.

Our state parks and rec depatment also,
    subsidizes judo, along with other ma's and
    it only costs students $10/month.

The problem here is that many ma comps
    are inter-organization, so participants only
    compete against schools related to them.

`~/
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast