Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2009 8:23pm

Style: shotokan karate, capoeira

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tallahassee florida

What do u guys know about this place? Where are good schools? THANKS!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2009 8:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tallahassee fl

The gift that keeps on giving

Posted On:
    8/19/2009 9:35pm

supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Threads merged and moved from the Chinese and Japanese MA style forums.

Lord shorty, do not spam threads, it's NEVER a good idea.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/19/2009 9:40pm

supporting member
     Style: running scared

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lord shorty View Post
    I know it is in the middle of the Panhandle.

I heard this is a good school.

http://www.fsu.edu/

Can you be more vauge in your questions?

Thanks Steve

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2009 10:02pm

Style: No-Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alliance Jiu-Jitsu on Monroe Street next to Longhorn Steakhouse and the Tallahassee Mall

World Vibe MMA on Airport drive near the Jackson Bluff, Gaines/Stadium drive intersection. Also home of the Leon County Judo club

Tallahassee Combat Sports, they have a world class professional boxer as coach.

Tallahassee MMA, Josh Odom's school. They have great striking and clinch game.

FSU students should look at the FSU wrestling club, because it's awesome and stuff.

These are the schools I will recommend of the ones I have visited while living here the last 21 years.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2009 12:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you. I am interested in alliance one day, cant afford it right now. Is Mr Odom the guy connected with golds? Been meaning to check it out.

Are you familiar with Gallops "shaolin" goju, the moy yat place in railroad (sifu thornton williams), sensei Craig Blochs shotokan dojo , Sensei Roy bedards now defunct uechi school, and the elusive kung fu school with roper, ace and les thatu sed to be by momos?

I am into the TMA's right now. what can u tell me abotu the MMA schools that practice striking or incorporate knowledge from the TMA's?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2009 11:44am

Style: No-Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you. I am interested in alliance one day, cant afford it right now. Is Mr Odom the guy connected with golds? Been meaning to check it out.

Are you familiar with Gallops "shaolin" goju, the moy yat place in railroad (sifu thornton williams), sensei Craig Blochs shotokan dojo , Sensei Roy bedards now defunct uechi school, and the elusive kung fu school with roper, ace and les thatu sed to be by momos?

I am into the TMA's right now. what can u tell me abotu the MMA schools that practice striking or incorporate knowledge from the TMA's?
    Mr. Odom is not the Gold's Gym guy, he's an affiliate of Frank Shamrock's fighting school, Sifu Les closed down behind MoMo's, and I don't think he relocated, and their fighting was silly, though their conditioning was pretty nice. Gallop's is an afterschool program for kiddies now. Tallahassee Combat Sports is the Gold's Gym guys. I haven't been to the Moy Vat Ving Tsun school, but Ving Tsun generally isn't that effective so I never trained there.

I would look into World Vibe. They're my current school, and they are really cheap. They are also very laid back, and open minded. The idea of the school is a "Mind and Body Laboratory" for you to learn what does and doesn't work for you, with the individual in mind.

Or if you really want TMA feel, the Aikido club at FSU used to be run by a thin Japanese man who was pretty nice and serious about his Aikido. The Cuong Nhu class is also run in the same classroom at FSU, but they were uppity about sharing mat space with us when there were only three of them. So I don't have good feelings about their training.

If you want traditional, Leon County Judo club has trained Olympic Athletes and they're pretty sweetastic. I have work now, and my ramblings need to stop here.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/22/2009 5:11pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, I was just going to plug the FSU Aikido club, down in the combatives room M, W, Th starting again in... whenever school starts again. We've got a pretty big class this year and E.T., the little Japanese dude, is still teaching. If you're a student and think Aikido'd be interesting, come on down.

Also, Cyril, would you mind doing a write up of World Vibe? I'd really like to know more about it.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/22/2009 5:55pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I feel remorse for necroing this and not mentioning that Tallahassee also has an excellent non-university Aikido school: http://northfloridaaikido.org/ Sensei Mike is a good guy. They used to have Karate (Shorin-Ryu, I think) and Arnis.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2010 5:33pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Roy Bedard is no longer teaching Uechi Ryu, he is currently teaching at the Pat Thomas Law Enforcement academy.

The schools mentioned in this thread are good... I will add more when I get a chance later.

Cyril shoot me a PM wondering who you are, we have trained at the same places it seems.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast