Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    8/19/2009 1:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    for boxing, i would suggest mendez boxing, they also have muay thai trainers there.

for chinese boxing/sanda, you should check out new york hung ga, and new york san da. NYHG will be less sport sanda oriented and NYSD will be more sport oriented and offers BJJ classes.

for muay thai, i would suggest the wat (if it's good enough for GSP, it's good enough for you) or borodin's muay thai in brooklyn.

good luck.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    8/19/2009 1:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MELOSWIFT View Post
    but what if authentic shaolin is just this and no bareknuckle stuff ect... i'm wondering is this the way it was done in the first place...
    We don't have enough real information to know what the "original" Shaolin did (if anything!) but we do know that what the current Shaolin monks do is generally utterly modern and Communist Party approved performance wushu. The chances that contemporary wushu gymnastics/acrobatics was also ancient Shaolin practice are so small that it isn't even worth considering.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Posted On:
    8/19/2009 1:57pm

Style: Anything Goes

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, you pretty much have the right of it. The stylized form-aspect stuff does seem to get the higher emphasis, especially on YouTube. On the other hand, sanda is considered to be another aspect of the sport, according to Wikipedia. Not sure if that changes the analysis or what.

I actually picked up Shi Yan Ming's book on exercise and stretching. The flexibility stuff is amazing, but there's no way you could fight with this. But then, he says at the beginning of the book that he's not teaching combat applications. Which saddens me a bit and seems to miss the point of martial training, but eh.

Posted On:
    8/19/2009 2:07pm

Style: Urban Goju

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks brotha... actually ive heard about the WAT and have info they look cool

Administrator

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    8/19/2009 2:30pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
    Well, you pretty much have the right of it. The stylized form-aspect stuff does seem to get the higher emphasis, especially on YouTube. On the other hand, sanda is considered to be another aspect of the sport, according to Wikipedia. Not sure if that changes the analysis or what.
    Don't go by wiki. Sanda is now a part of Modern Wushu. For a long time it was a separate event that had nothing to do with wushu competitions for the most part.

Obviously, with the popularity of sport fighting competition, sanda mysteriously was integrated back into wushu.

Do not use wiki for a source on Martial Arts. Rarely is it correct.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class

Posted On:
    8/19/2009 2:49pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As someone who learned fighting from an actual Buddhist monk in an actual Buddhist temple....

Alot of MMA seems like in the closet wrestling body building brutal big guy brawling without tradition to me.
    Dude, shut up.

i'm thinking... the monks probably didn't teach "bunkai" or real life application... in my american perspective i'm thinking these buddist monks taught and practiced the movements, meditated and ate noodles...
    You should probably stop thinking, because the only thing that was right about that run-on sentence was the part about the noodles.

i might be wrong... but what if authentic shaolin is just this and no bareknuckle stuff ect..
    Yup. You're wrong.

i mean you make a great point. MARTIAL arts... fighting and war art... but it is ART. i'm still learning and observing.. trying to determine if benefits are more for health or knock out power tech... ect... i'm wondering is this the way it was done in the first place...
    Fighting came first. Fighting always came first. Even at Shaolin.

i think all styles contribute something even my nemesis tkd
    How old are you?

You have a "style nemesis"?

Really?

Posted On:
    8/19/2009 3:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

hi!

Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108 View Post
    As someone who learned fighting from an actual Buddhist monk in an actual Buddhist temple....

Dude, shut up.

You should probably stop thinking, because the only thing that was right about that run-on sentence was the part about the noodles.

Yup. You're wrong.

Fighting came first. Fighting always came first. Even at Shaolin.

How old are you?

You have a "style nemesis"?

Really?
    basically you think i'm as angry as you are. i'm freely expressing my thoughts and questions. sometimes with run on sentences. and i am open to criticism and differing points of view because that is how someone learns.

what you are offering however is alot of anger with no information about martial arts so... hope you find some friends either on the internet or in a martial arts school or church or something.

your style nemesis question is legitimate, yes i stylishly said have a "style nemesis". which for me, means there is a style i tend to disagree with a lot. it doesn't mean i want to destroy all Tae Kwon Do schools and kill em all, it just means i don't like hopping on one leg and kicking two inches before someone's body to score points all day long... i know some people that do like it and i respect that. i am also open minded enough to know that a TKD practitioner could kick my ass just as much as someone with NO martial arts experience can kick my ass. if you notice i mentioned that i've visited TKD schools and i gave them credit for preservation of techniques... so, yea... good luck with all that inner turmoil

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class

Posted On:
    8/19/2009 4:36pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    basically you think i'm as angry as you are. i'm freely expressing my thoughts and questions.
    Angry?

WHAT THE **** MAKES YOU THINK I'M ANGRY?

I AM THE MILK OF HUMAN KINDNESS, TURDMUFFIN!!!

what you are offering however is alot of anger with no information about martial arts so... hope you find some friends either on the internet or in a martial arts school or church or something.
    Or perhaps in a Buddhist temple...one that runs an on-line dating service...

your style nemesis question is legitimate, yes i stylishly said have a "style nemesis". which for me, means there is a style i tend to disagree with a lot. it doesn't mean i want to destroy all Tae Kwon Do schools and kill em all, it just means i don't like hopping on one leg and kicking two inches before someone's body to score points all day long...
    I see.

So you've never experienced full-contact TKD then?

Good.

good luck with all that inner turmoil
    I always eat the peppers.

Posted On:
    8/19/2009 4:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by derauslander108 View Post
    angry?

What the **** makes you think i'm angry?

I am the milk of human kindness, turdmuffin!!!

Or perhaps in a buddhist temple...one that runs an on-line dating service...

I see.

So you've never experienced full-contact tkd then?

Good.

I always eat the peppers.
    online dating service?????????????????????????????

Achievements:

Posted On:
    8/19/2009 5:10pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    online dating service?????????????????????????????
    You think I actually sit here in meditation during my free time?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast