Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/19/2009 11:01am

Style: Urban Goju

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sort of random question about Shifu SHI YAN MING

Before i took an intro class at USA Shaolin Temple, a class which gave me a powerful workout, i was on here and other sites reading the rumors about this teacher. All the Wu tang and Pointless rumors and all that aside. I still don't see what people's problems are with this guy. I mean, yes he is a pretty boy.. so? you ever been to a TKD school (no offense)?... Alot of MMA seems like in the closet wrestling body building brutal big guy brawling without tradition to me. I mean this is another topic but if i REALLY loved grappling why wouldn't i just study traditional Ju Jitsu or Gracie or something.. whatever, the truth is every style has people that give alot of hot air. but... Shi Yan Ming gave me a great workout. The challenge was over the top. The moves were traditional. Granted, his teaching style is unorthodox... but i didn't mind learning from his students as he supervised because his students were doing some seriously difficult stuff to pull off. i'm sorry but in 2009 NYC i AM impressed by a perfect butterfly kick done by a tall heavy dude. Not to mention the old lady that out performed me with her cardio... Listen i'm a Goju Karate purple belt and have Japanese and Okinawan reflexes in me... but this guy's kung fu as far as i can tell is real, traditional, strong... and i don't see what the problem is. I guess what i'm asking for is... for those that have complaints about his dojo or kwoon, GIVE SPECIFIC EXAMPLES.. tell me why i should not join. because i'm pretty much about to join that school and am looking forward to it. so please unleash it on me!!!! dont hold back and tell me what to worry about...

side note: school suggestions welcome... especially traditional GOJU RYU or SHAOLIN KUNG FU... although i doubt youl have a more impressive teacher than this SHi Yan Ming Shaolin Munk. the way he kicks is TOO similar to what i grew up seeing as shaolin kung fu.. seems too good to be true, but sometimes in life, maybe something good happened and there really is an opportunity to learn shaoling TEMPLE kung fu from an actual monk or someone who was one.. if he is legitimate, i submit to you that it's a once in a life time chance to learn under him

Posted On:
    8/19/2009 11:33am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're interested in a quality workout, then sure, Shi Yan Ming will likely provide an excellent one that is also engrossing enough (because it's fun, flashy, involves a charismatic figure) for people to stick with it through all the hard and painful stuff.

If you're interested in fighting, not so much. His curriculum doesn't seem to support that as there is little to no sanshou (quite aside from the sport; I just mean sparring). On the site, he explains:

A lot of people still believe “monkey style,” “drunken mantis style,” whatever style you think of, can be used in a real fight. That’s wrong. In a real fight, there is no style. You knock someone down as soon as possible – that’s a fight. You can use just one finger to knock people down, your palms, fist, elbow, shoulder, hip, knee, foot, head - there are no rules in a real fight. People are still confused because many instructors are cheating people, teaching them applications. For example, “you’re supposed to punch with your left fist, then kick with your right leg.” Let me tell you something – in a real fight, nobody tells you which part of their body they are going to use against you.

True as far as it goes, but so what? Will his performance wushu training help me knock someone down? That's all, really.

Posted On:
    8/19/2009 12:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hey thanks that was an honest reply good perspective...
    i'm thinking... the monks probably didn't teach "bunkai" or real life application... in my american perspective i'm thinking these buddist monks taught and practiced the movements, meditated and ate noodles... i might be wrong... but what if authentic shaolin is just this and no bareknuckle stuff ect.. i mean you make a great point. MARTIAL arts... fighting and war art... but it is ART. i'm still learning and observing.. trying to determine if benefits are more for health or knock out power tech... ect... i'm wondering is this the way it was done in the first place...

here's some food for your thought... i've visited several TKD schools and even a shotokan school that kumites,san chou, or spars all the time but basically i find it worthless point fighting. i mean not that i'm a kyokushin or MMA fan.. i'm not a fan of anything just original art of a historical style... but alot of those TKD cats were flashy and beautiful fighters of techniques that if used on me in the street i think i'll knock the mofo out in my egotistical mind.. just saying.

in my opinion i think American Boxing is probably the most dangerous in the street even against a grappler... dudes got liscensed fists as legal weapons lol...

i dont know... maybe i'm just into kung fu cuz its so damn cool... thanks again for the input... i've made no declaritive statements... i remain a student of life and all martial arts

ps: benefit of the doubt for shify yan... hes conditioned like a brick wall

Posted On:
    8/19/2009 12:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Will his performance wushu training help me knock someone down?"
    great point... my response would be isn't all wushu worthless in your mind then?

i think all styles contribute something even my nemesis tkd

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    8/19/2009 12:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if you want to learn wushu, he's great. if you want to learn standup fighting, go join a boxing gym (or even one that does chinese boxing.)

and other than getting you in shape, yes, wushu is worthless for fighting.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    8/19/2009 12:28pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MELOSWIFT View Post
    I think all styles contribute something even my nemesis tkd
    The thing about contemporary Wushu is that it's not meant to contribute something to fighting skills. It's a performance sport, like figure skating but with a martial flavour.

It will contribute to your fitness and ability to look cool, but not to fighting prowess.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/19/2009 12:33pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Will his performance wushu training help me knock someone down?"
    great point... my response would be isn't all wushu worthless in your mind then?
    Not unless the person is claiming modern wushu will make you a fighter. Wushu is what it is a National Sport. If it is worthless so is ,football, baseball, orchestra, etc etc etc. In a fighting context yes, modern wush is worthless. From an aesthetic viewpoint no.

Posted On:
    8/19/2009 12:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Solvalou View Post
    The thing about contemporary Wushu is that it's not meant to contribute something to fighting skills. It's a performance sport, like figure skating but with a martial flavour.

It will contribute to your fitness and ability to look cool, but not to fighting prowess.
    LMAO ability to look cool

thats some funny ish... makes me think of steven segal, his hands look so freaking cool but i wonder how he would have faired as an aikido dude in his prime against another trained fighter...

i understand the sport aspect... hm.. do you consider TKD superior to Wu Shu in fighting application?

Posted On:
    8/19/2009 12:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

sport vs art vs real application

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Solvalou View Post

LMAO ability to look cool

thats some funny ish... makes me think of steven segal, his hands look so freaking cool but i wonder how he would have faired as an aikido dude in his prime against another trained fighter...

i understand the sport aspect... hm.. do you consider TKD superior to Wu Shu in fighting application?

Posted On:
    8/19/2009 1:19pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Technically yes, but modern Wushu has roughly the same fighting application as synchronised swimming.

Modern Wushu isn't designed to teach you to fight; that is not it's purpose.

Think of it like this: let's say you're going to get your pilot's license. You read that you need a certain number of hours in a flight simulator before you're even allowed near a real plane. Do you go to a flight school with a proper simulator, or do you go to the local arcade and play After Burner Climax?

Just as the arcade game is just a stylised interpretation of flying, so is Wushu just a stylised version of traditional Chinese martial arts designed, and trained, for aesthetic appeal rather than fighting application.

I'm aware this post probably sounds retarded. I'm sure someone who knows what they're talking about will come along soon to correct me.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast