Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/19/2009 1:06am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Whatever works.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Self-Defense, does it exist ?

Thats pretty much it, is there a system/style that is actually all around fairly good for self-defense ? Balancing simplistic ass whooping skills with a solid strategy that wont wind you up in prison for winning ?

Posted On:
    8/19/2009 7:45am

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dig7six View Post
    Thats pretty much it, is there a system/style that is actually all around fairly good for self-defense ? Balancing simplistic ass whooping skills with a solid strategy that wont wind you up in prison for winning ?
    Gee, you must have put seconds of thought into this post. Did you also give the same amount of thought into picking this forum or even this website?

Mods, please move to somewhere more appropriate like YMAS or trollshido.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/19/2009 11:45am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M1K3 View Post
    Gee, you must have put seconds of thought into this post. Did you also give the same amount of thought into picking this forum or even this website?

Mods, please move to somewhere more appropriate like YMAS or trollshido.

Hey smartass check it out, actually ive put years of thought into the subject, there is no need in a long winded question when that covers what i was wanting opinions on. I asked here at bullshido because for the most part there are some people who actually have logical reasoning skills and actual fight skills.

Then there are stupid wise ass fuckers like you , who love to find a post where they can appear to be cocky and talk ****, and then i would assume you spend the rest of the day watching and checking in here just hoping one of the guys whos nuts you swing from gives you some form of internet kudos.

The old saying " if you cant say nothing nice, then shut the **** up" would be sound advice for you. im not asking for myself , its for a family memeber who doesnt want to spend the hours/sweat and years to become fairly proficent in a chosen style.

I chose western boxing forum because i am talking about a self-defense model that would work against a good striker , not some fantasy lunge punch.

If for some reason you feel the urge to respond back with some smartass anwser and start a war of insults, save your bullshit and lets just throwdown, im in the mood to kick the **** out of something and im sure you will do just fine.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/19/2009 12:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the record, the Western MA Discussion Forum probably isn't the best place to ask this question; I'd suggest posting it in the Armory, which is the "official" self defense forum - The Armory: Weapons, Military, LEO, and Self Defense Forum - No BS MMA and Martial Arts .

That said, if anyone feels like discussing this here, try to keep it on-topic re. Western styles.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2009 12:33pm

Style: Not sure anymore

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey smartass check it out, actually ive put years of thought into the subject, there is no need in a long winded question when that covers what i was wanting opinions on. I asked here at bullshido because for the most part there are some people who actually have logical reasoning skills and actual fight skills.

Then there are stupid wise ass fuckers like you , who love to find a post where they can appear to be cocky and talk ****, and then i would assume you spend the rest of the day watching and checking in here just hoping one of the guys whos nuts you swing from gives you some form of internet kudos.

The old saying " if you cant say nothing nice, then shut the **** up" would be sound advice for you. im not asking for myself , its for a family memeber who doesnt want to spend the hours/sweat and years to become fairly proficent in a chosen style.

I chose western boxing forum because i am talking about a self-defense model that would work against a good striker , not some fantasy lunge punch.

If for some reason you feel the urge to respond back with some smartass anwser and start a war of insults, save your bullshit and lets just throwdown, im in the mood to kick the **** out of something and im sure you will do just fine.

In my experience if you want an art that has a better chance of keeping a family member free of criminal prosecution you would do well to direct them to a Jodo or Jiu-jitsu dojo/gym. There they will get in better shape and also be better equipped with the skills to maybe also restrain an attacker until help arrives...as opposed to beating the hell out of them.

With two hours training once or twice a week they will probably have a very good chance of defending themselves...

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/19/2009 12:35pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    For the record, the Western MA Discussion Forum probably isn't the best place to ask this question; I'd suggest posting it in the Armory, which is the "official" self defense forum - The Armory: Weapons, Military, LEO, and Self Defense Forum - No BS MMA and Martial Arts .

That said, if anyone feels like discussing this here, try to keep it on-topic re. Western styles.

Alright man, is there a way i can personally move it myself ? I am curious though from the prespective of a self-defense against a good boxer type attack. thanx.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/19/2009 12:49pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post

Sorry man, is there anyway that i can personally move the thread to its rightful place ? As far as keeping on topic, i am mostly curious about defense against a good boxer type of fighter, i feel that is about the most common type of fight anyone would find themselves in.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/19/2009 1:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry man, is there anyway that i can personally move the thread to its rightful place ? As far as keeping on topic, i am mostly curious about defense against a good boxer type of fighter, i feel that is about the most common type of fight anyone would find themselves in.
    I'd suggest just copying your post and re-posting it in the Armory.

In very broad terms, the best unarmed defense against a boxing-type attack would probably be to learn boxing defense and then back it up with a good grappling style, but there is much more to real self defense than just training in unarmed combat. Awareness is really important, and should be trained in the same way you'd train physical combat skills; likewise, training in verbal self defense, as in not taking the bait if someone is trying to provoke a fight, etc. There's also the legal side to consider.

Anyway, I do suggest taking this question to the Armory forum. Good luck with it.

It's all about the clinch. The clinch, I said.

Posted On:
    8/19/2009 4:15pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO, mma, jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like this guy.

Well, we don't often say "nice things" here so maybe you'd want to recalibrate the way you look at human interaction. Because being nice is often synonymous with being totally full of ****.

But whatever, up to you.

As for the "not wanting to spend hours/sweat and years to become fairly proficient, I'd remind you that proficiency doesn't come easily in anything of value. Especially not something as complicated as fighting. They're gonna have to work. Everybody has to put in work. A better way to answer this question is for them to find a martial practice that is effective and one that they also enjoy so that they don't mind putting in all that blood, sweat and tears to site the old cliche.

There are good strikers from disciplines in nearly every hemisphere and region. The Western Martial arts forum is often given over to disciplines that are purely western in though and approach and many of these have fallen into antiquity. Boxing, while certainly a western approach, hasn't fallen into disuse though it has changed significantly over the years.

We try to avoid blanket statements here, even I like to think, over the systems that are so easy to set aside with such a statement. It's a type of lazy thinking that's very easy to fall into. **** I know I do constantly.

save your bullshit and lets just throwdown, im in the mood to kick the **** out of something and im sure you will do just fine.
    Ok, now stop that. We all know it's not going to happen and do you really want to tell somebody you got that cool scar because you got into a fight over the internet?
    Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    As far as possible, without surrender,
    be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
    and listen to others,
    even to the dull and ignorant;
    they too have their story.

-excerpt of the poem called "Desiderata," by Max Ehrman, 1927.

Posted On:
    8/19/2009 6:12pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: krav maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    (Please excuse my english) After six years of obsessed search for the best martial art in self-defense, I can only find one answer; nop. Ive practised karate, aikido, nihon tai jitsu, kajukembo, boxing, wing chun, krav maga... at the end, you use what you can and just fight to save your life.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast