Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
  1. #11
    DdlR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,836
    Style
    Bartitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Bartitsu Society actually gave copies of both volumes of the Compendium to the Sherlock Holmes movie production team. That's not to say that the fight choreography in the movie is expected to be "real" Bartitsu, but it's good to know the stunt team had access to the real stuff as inspiration.

  2. #12
    Styygens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    2,182
    Style
    JJJ/JKD/Kali/Combatives
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    That's not to say that the fight choreography in the movie is expected to be "real" Bartitsu, but it's good to know the stunt team had access to the real stuff as inspiration.
    I have my fingers crossed. I'm really looking forward to this movie, and I'm hoping it showcases the arts well.

    If it turns out to be generic Hollywood Kung Fu... Personally, I'll be disappointed.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,390
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Styygens View Post
    I have my fingers crossed. I'm really looking forward to this movie, and I'm hoping it showcases the arts well.

    If it turns out to be generic Hollywood Kung Fu... Personally, I'll be disappointed.

    I will be pissed if I do not see any fisticuffs, and if their is to much Chun...

  4. #14
    DdlR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,836
    Style
    Bartitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Styygens View Post
    I have my fingers crossed. I'm really looking forward to this movie, and I'm hoping it showcases the arts well.

    If it turns out to be generic Hollywood Kung Fu... Personally, I'll be disappointed.
    FWIW Richard Ryan, the fight choreographer, has a good rep. and did all the fight scenes for Troy, among other movies.

    That said, Sherlock Holmes studied "baritsu", rather than Bartitsu; and the story in which he used "baritsu" was set before Bartitsu had even been invented. That does offer the filmmakers considerable (legitimate) artistic license in coming up with a fighting style for the movie.

    The main thing from the Bartitsu Society's point of view is that the movie will establish a link between martial arts and the Victorian period in the popular imagination. If at least some audience members then get curious about the actual history, all the better.

  5. #15
    DdlR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,836
    Style
    Bartitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sley View Post
    I will be pissed if I do not see any fisticuffs, and if their is to much Chun...
    It'll be interesting to see how that handle that. Robert Downey Jr. is a keen Chunner, but there are strong similarities between old-school pugilism and WC anyway - vertical fist punches, relatively upright fighting stance, etc.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    190
    Style
    none
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah I remember reading in a few of the stories that Holmes was also a pugilist.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Northumbria
    Posts
    564
    Style
    Basic Self-Defence
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - Joe View Post
    Ask guy Ritchie to contribute a passage about it since it plays an important part in his up coming Sherlock holmes movie...
    Oh ****.

    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    The Bartitsu Society actually gave copies of both volumes of the Compendium to the Sherlock Holmes movie production team. ...
    Oh good.

    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    FWIW Richard Ryan, the fight choreographer, ... did all the fight scenes for Troy, ...
    Oh ****.

    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    ... Robert Downey Jr. is a keen Chunner, ...
    Oh ****.

    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    ... Robert Downey Jr. ...
    ****.

  8. #18
    Rivington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    4,807
    Style
    Taijiquan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do it quick, before the steampunk/Victoriana wave passes, otherwise your audience will be limited to martial arts eccentrics.

  9. #19
    It's all about the clinch. The clinch, I said. supporting member
    JP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    2,290
    Style
    SAMBO, mma, jiujitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    Do it quick, before the steampunk/Victoriana wave passes, otherwise your audience will be limited to martial arts eccentrics.
    On the other hand, once that ****'s over people will be able to add that flavor to all sorts of things without having to stick a blimp in there to keep the genre-tards happy.
    Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    As far as possible, without surrender,
    be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
    and listen to others,
    even to the dull and ignorant;
    they too have their story.

    -excerpt of the poem called "Desiderata," by Max Ehrman, 1927.

  10. #20
    DdlR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,836
    Style
    Bartitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by A.M. View Post
    Yeah I remember reading in a few of the stories that Holmes was also a pugilist.
    Bartitsu also incorporates the "scientific boxing" of the early 1900s, although as far as we can glean, Barton-Wright had a pretty specific tactical application for that type of boxing in self defense.

Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO