Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/17/2009 4:23am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Scottish Broadsword

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to put mine in a ponytail, but it got to the point where my ponytail would come loose halfway through the match and then I couldn't see. So I braided it. Granted, my hair sounds like it's much longer than yours (mine is down to the middle of my back) so that might not work too well for you.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    8/17/2009 10:26am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldk View Post
    threw this here, as i'm sure it's not advanced grappling discussion.

yes, i have long hair. shoulder length. sure, having it short would be more practical, specifically as i am into grappling. but at the same time, when the last 3 women you've dated beg you to NEVER cut your hair short again, you start to think about your priorities...

anyways, got a tourney next sunday. normally, i just put on a hairband, which eventually flies off during rolling, but i don't mind. but i'd rather my hair not getting in the way AT ALL during the tournament, as sometimes it does impari my vision a bit.

how is this achieved? danke in advance.
    I trained Judo, and BJJ with long hair. Mid-shoulder blade and longer. I found the following to work well:

1) Two hair ties. Get the thick ouchless ones , the metal fasteners are illegal in Judo comps, and put two in, make them tight. That should hold through standing randori, and some ground work.

2) HairZoo Hair Glue: the stuff smells like Elmers glue. Put your hair in a poneytail, and hair glue the tail and the crown of the head. It WILL stay in. Takes forever to wash out, and smells funny.

3) If you don't live somewhere with 90+ degree weather a swim cap works like a charm. Spend the money on a good silicone one. They are about twice as expensive but totally worth it.
    I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2009 11:45am

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I definitely can relate to this thread. When I first started BJJ, my hair was down to the middle of my back. I cut it about a month after that, but my fiancee was super-pissed, and I've been re-growing it ever since. It's now about shoulder-length, again, and definitely can be a bit of a nuisance while rolling (less vision impairing, and more getting caught under my opponent while we roll).

Ignatzami's recommendation of doubling up on the Ouchless hair ties worked pretty well for me when my hair was super long. Right now, I haven't started tying it back again, yet, but I've got a brand new pack of no-slip ouchless hair ties for when I do.

--Joe

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    8/17/2009 12:29pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have hair down to my butt. I put 5 hair ties in it, then roll it up and put it in a bun on the back of my head. Makes guillotine escapes a stone cold bitch, but it rarely comes out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2009 12:40pm

Style: BJJ / freestyle wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kung-Fu Joe View Post
    I definitely can relate to this thread. When I first started BJJ, my hair was down to the middle of my back. I cut it about a month after that, but my fiancee was super-pissed, and I've been re-growing it ever since.
    haha. my ex-girlfriend and i got together recently after i had cut my hair. she had had a thing for me since forever, and i remember she WENT OFF on me when i cut it, and i didn't even know who she was back then, aside from just seeing her at places.

she DEMANDED i grow it back. i once threatened as a joke to cut it again, and she threatened to break up with me. hah.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2009 12:47pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I still have my ponytail. What I do when I tie it back is to use 1-2 brand new hair ties every time. I almost never have problems with it getting undone then unless we're drilling lots of chokes over and over.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2009 12:59pm

Style: BJJ, MT, JJJ / Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    I have hair down to my butt. I put 5 hair ties in it, then roll it up and put it in a bun on the back of my head. Makes guillotine escapes a stone cold bitch, but it rarely comes out.
    are you being seriuos? thats crazy

is it illegal to choke somebody out with your / their own hair?

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    8/17/2009 5:25pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAardvark View Post
    are you being seriuos? thats crazy

is it illegal to choke somebody out with your / their own hair?
    It's not a part of the uniform so probably not legal.

All you hair types are the reason I've gotten dirty looks from women I've dated. They find hair and wonder WTF.

Of course it's even worse when you try to explain to them that you had a girl from in rear mount and was choking her and that's how her hair got on you...!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2009 5:55pm

Style: SAMBO, jiu jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you could french braid your hair too; that's what the other chicks in my school do.

But it may be a little gay looking. I don't think I've ever seen a dude with a french braid...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2009 8:30pm

Style: blunt trauma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If a topknot was good enough for samurai, it's good enough for you.

Plus, it gives your opponent a convenient carry-handle for your head once he vanquishes you!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast