Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/23/2009 1:18am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dear Eric

I can't find the mma claims that are shown above. Were they removed? (probably good idea).

But I do like your attitude about self-improvement - that's been a bone of contention for years for me. I think that good martial arts can help people, but I agree with your points below:

Q: Character Development - BEWARE!
    A: Many people, especially those choosing a school for their children, often look for schools that teach "character development". This benefit of training is certainly valuable and noble; however, I would urge potential students to be extremely skeptical of any school claiming to "teach character development". I know this may seem to contradict some of my own claims, but let's think about this for a moment... How many martial arts teachers hold advanced degrees in education, psychology, social work, etc...? Even more important than the education, how many are licensed to practice?

At some point, someone in the marketing business noticed a loose correlation between those who practice the martial arts and exceptional judgement, moral standards, etc... It was then that a major campaign began to sell the martial arts as a tool for developing the character. To this day, it remains one of the most successful strategies for luring new students of all ages. Who wouldn't want to improve their character?

"
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Posted On:
    5/22/2013 10:35am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Classical Western Fencing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I support Thomas Erik Angerhofer. He is a man of integrity and a true teacher. His Bushido is genuine.

Posted On:
    5/22/2013 10:46am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Classical Western Fencing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're one of the best teachers I've encountered in more than 30 years of searching on five different continents. You are well versed in your own discipline and insightful enough to adapt to students with diverse backgrounds and special needs. I'm sorry to see you've drawn bad press.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/23/2013 3:41am

Style: Hsing I, Bagua, Chi kung

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Croft View Post
    You're one of the best teachers I've encountered in more than 30 years of searching on five different continents. You are well versed in your own discipline and insightful enough to adapt to students with diverse backgrounds and special needs. I'm sorry to see you've drawn bad press.
    You necro'd this thread and none of the links work now. Shame on you!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12