Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/14/2009 11:54am

Style: Keyboard Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Leites, McCrory dropped from UFC, quickly reinstated

I don't think anyone else has started a discussion on this topic in this forum or Front Page News. The article in question is from MMA junkie dot com

http://MonkeyScrotumCleaning.tvMonke...an-mccrory.mma

What is everyone's take on this? I understand they like to drop fighters who don't have more wins than losses. They may fight for another promotion, improve their record and return to the UFC. I can see this as helpful or necesary to maintain the UFC as the premiere MMA organization.

I don't see how they announced their expulsion one day and reinstatement the next. Is there some disconnect between UFC management and communications? Are they floating these banishments as trial balloons to gauge public reaction? I don't think either fighter pissed in Zuffa's cornflakes; as apparently Jon Fitch did regarding a deal over his likeness appearing as a video game character.

Perhaps some keener observers and/or those who are closer to the professional sports world than I could provide some insight on this.

UFC reverses course on Thales Leites and Tamdan McCrory

by Kevin Iole on Aug 14, 2009 at 12:35 pm ET
    Thales Leites was stunned on Saturday when he heard that judges had come to a split decision in his fight with Alessio Sakara at UFC 101 at the Wachovia Center in Philadelphia. He was even more stunned when he came out on the short end of the verdict.

But the really shocking news came on Thursday, when he learned he was being dropped by the Ultimate Fighting Championship only four months after competing for the middleweight title.

It turns out, though, that Leites still has a job with the UFC.

UFC president Dana White wasn't aware of plans to drop both Leites and welterweight Tamdan McCrory and said he would reverse those decisions.

They won't be cut, White said Thursday night.

Leites was 14-1 when he faced Anderson Silva for the middleweight title at UFC 97 in April in Montreal. But Leites was not aggressive, often flopping onto his back in an unsuccessful bid to lure Silva into a jiu-jitsu contest, and lost a unanimous decision in which the crowd booed lustily. He was more aggressive against Sakara, though the crowd in Philadelphia didn't like the fight and booed very loudly.

McCrory entered the UFC with an 8-0 record, but has gone 3-3 since, alternating wins and losses. He dropped a close decision to John Howard on Saturday.

White said both men will be brought back to the UFC.
    Last edited by MrJ; 8/14/2009 11:56am at . Reason: damn it ... i phail at posting links ...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/14/2009 9:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i could understand the McCrory release (dude's super young), and i like him. i came to terms with my anger over it by hoping he would sign to strikeforce, build/sharpen his skill set, and thus i'd get to watch him fight nearby. i really want to watch his fight against Howard, though.
    i personally think that unless someone is on a 4 fight skid, letting them go after a split dec. loss is a terrible business model.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/14/2009 10:22pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Reports are now stating that they are back out. I can't confirm 100% but it doesn't look good for either of them.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    8/14/2009 10:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe there is lack of communication between White and the owners of Zuffa (can't spell their names)?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2009 9:22pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They probably got their purses cut in half. :(

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/18/2009 6:23pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If their dropping McCrory then thats a shame, but when you look at how deep the division is at 170, its sort of understandable.

Personally I wouldn't drop Leites but seeing as Dana White's blood pressure probably sky rockets every time the crowd start booing he may be doing it to avoid a heart attack. Or maybe after Sliva's revival he wants to pretend the Leites fight never happened. Who knows, but on skill and results I wouldn't drop him, but then again I'm not Dana White.

I'm sure these guys will land on their feet elsewhere.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    8/18/2009 8:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who does McCrory have wins over? I don't remember him beating anyone.

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    8/19/2009 1:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm still surprised Leites wasn't dropped after the title fight.

('._.)

Posted On:
    8/19/2009 5:17pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzomalan View Post
    i could understand the McCrory release (dude's super young), and i like him. i came to terms with my anger over it by hoping he would sign to strikeforce, build/sharpen his skill set, and thus i'd get to watch him fight nearby. i really want to watch his fight against Howard, though.
    i personally think that unless someone is on a 4 fight skid, letting them go after a split dec. loss is a terrible business model.
    McCrory has no business in the octacon, he quite simply isnt good enough.

Posted On:
    8/20/2009 9:50am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Poor Thunderhorse.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast