Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 3:39pm

Style: Kyokushin/Capoeira

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluto Blutarsky View Post
    thats a key difference between magic and such charlatans,

one is used for and intended for entertainment, the other for abuse.

this "no contact fighting" could be for entertainment value too if the power rangers was still around and popular amongst kids, these guys could be the actors that does those fight scenes.

(im trying to avoid comedic references to make a joke out of what they are doing and using what they do do in a constructive way).

or in theatre or those demonstration shows that they do with live and semi-skilled actors at various county fairs and stuff. they could make a story and "rescue the princess" while fighting the evil ninjas or something.

if this was billed purely for entertainment would people be critical of it?
    I wouldn't. I know magicians who do palm readings and seances but strictly bill it as entertainment. I don 't have this problem because I'm a card magician and virtually everyone knows it's a trick.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/30/2011 3:03am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Straight-out charlatanism isn't all that interesting to me; more intriguing are those cases where the participants genuinely believe that a supernatural power is at work.

I remember an episode of "That's Incredible" back in the '80s in which a Hwarangdo practitioner demonstrated his "light body" powers by standing on a box of eggs without breaking the eggs (hint - it's the eggshells, not the martial artist, that have extraordinary attributes). As a gag, one of the show's hosts then also stood on the eggs, obviously expecting to crush them, but in fact he succeeded just as well as the "light body" master. Hard to tell who was more surprised ...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 4:32pm

Style: tai chi chuan, poekoelan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First, I'll say that I do believe that in a lot of the examples we typically see, there's a large degree of "non-resistance" towards the attacker, and much of it is blind compliance. And I really don't believe in any kind of psychic bullshit. Now, having said that, I'll just say that I can kind-of understand in *some* circumstances how a student might justifiably just sort of go with the flow. Not in a condescending, pretend, "I'm honoring the master" kind of way. But more along the lines of recognizing that the "master" (or whatever) is merely applying enough force or pressure to make the point. My own experience goes to a few times I attended workshops with William CC Chen. In some of the push hands or free fighting or applications training, it was really only prudent to not resist too much. Not out of any misguided level of respect or condescension of William, but being able to tell that resistance was futile, and would probably end badly for me. I don't think he expected anyone to "give" him anything. You could tell if he actually had you or not. (talking primarily push hands here) and if he did, why fight it? I could try to writhe or twist out of the situation, but he could jam you up in a heartbeat and make a bad situation worse. That's not to say everyone responded to him the same way. Maybe it was just my level of development that I could tell when I was got, and knew fighting it would only make matters worse. (falling gracefully) I saw a lot of junior players get owned bad by him when he would try to go easy on them, and they didn't (or wouldn't) recognize when he exploited an opening. It wasn't a malicious thing by any means. I don't think that of him at all. It was a matter of helping them to recognize their mistakes. They wouldn't gain anything by pretending it never happened. Like when we spar poekoelan, if someone taps you in the kiwis with a knee, or gets in an elbow break, you need to recognize that or they will make sure you do the next time.

Posted On:
    5/12/2011 2:27am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bakbakan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    its all bullshit!!! if this were true then we dont need to send our troops to Iraq or Afghanistan.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2011 5:01pm

Style: Limalama

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by babymanko View Post
    its all bullshit!!! if this were true then we dont need to send our troops to Iraq or Afghanistan.
    The **** are you talking about?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/23/2011 5:13am

Style: Boxing and No Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    Straight-out charlatanism isn't all that interesting to me; more intriguing are those cases where the participants genuinely believe that a supernatural power is at work.

I remember an episode of "That's Incredible" back in the '80s in which a Hwarangdo practitioner demonstrated his "light body" powers by standing on a box of eggs without breaking the eggs (hint - it's the eggshells, not the martial artist, that have extraordinary attributes). As a gag, one of the show's hosts then also stood on the eggs, obviously expecting to crush them, but in fact he succeeded just as well as the "light body" master. Hard to tell who was more surprised ...
    lol....must be pretty embarrassing for the martial artists. Anyways, I reckon that non/light contact sparring was originally created for safety measures (e.g. back in the day when mats don't protect the uke that much from throws and are way more expensive, proportionately speaking, than now) but should be stopped now (lest, of course the teacher does not actually have the skills) due to the improve in technolgy.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/15/2013 10:38am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.bartitsu.org/index.php/20...net-1895-1899/

Further on this theme, here's an account of what happened when Bartitsu founder E.W. Barton-Wright tested the supposedly supernatural powers of a vaudeville performer back in 1899.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678