Page 6 of 8 First ... 2345678 Last
  1. #51

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    245
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Conde Koma View Post
    there was a bit on fox news or something, where they had EMTs check pulse, body temp, and i think electrical signals on one of dillman's students after getting a full force dim mak. they used it as "proof" that the technique could floor someone, saying that the results of the readings were "impossible to fake." obviously, they didn't try the technique on a non-student, and left things at that.

    i can't find the video right now, maybe someone else has a convenient link to it?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdrzB...eature=related

  2. #52
    Conde Koma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Oakland, CA (East Bay Area)
    Posts
    2,247
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that would be it.


    also, stephen bonnar at 3:33!
    Fight Film Friday
    Watching violence on film, violently.
    Click here to donate!

  3. #53
    Punisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    2,943
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That clip is several years old. The same guy was recently featured on Stan Lee's Superhumans on the history channel. Results were mixed. Dude still couldn't perform no touch ko's on anyone other than his students, but medical personnel hired by the show couldn't explain why the students that were getting ko'd exhibited sudden drops in blood pressure.

    http://www.history.com/shows/stan-le...human-stun-gun

  4. #54
    DdlR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,802
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not exactly non-contact fighting, but this article from Bartitsu.org covers Bartitsu founder E.W. Barton-Wright's expose of "magnetic" and "electric" feats of strength way back in 1899, drawing parallels to modern pseudoscience.

  5. #55

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    289
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    Not exactly non-contact fighting, but this article from Bartitsu.org covers Bartitsu founder E.W. Barton-Wright's expose of "magnetic" and "electric" feats of strength way back in 1899, drawing parallels to modern pseudoscience.
    Several magicians were also active in this around the turn of the century and I contend as many others have including those within the magical community that Dillman-types merely use the power of suggestion and pressure to conform and please, no different than the trickery of a stage hypnotist.

  6. #56
    His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member
    Devil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    7,437
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think there's more to it than just submissiveness to the instructor.

    One of my first experiences with martial arts was with Taijutsu. We did a lot of what they called randori but I now understand to be overly compliant drills - where the uke attacks once and then "dies" while he has hell unleashed upon him.

    We were taught how to be a "good uke". To offer enough resistance that the person doing the technique has to do it correctly to make it work, but not so much resistance that you impede his ability to learn and practice. And it was explained that the better we get, the faster we'll be able to go. At the time, this made perfect sense.

    But later I realized that we weren't offering any real meaningful resistance. In reality, we were offering enough resistance to make it LOOK believable. That's it. We did do them faster later, but the techniques weren't any more effective this way. We just got better at doing the prescribed dance faster.

    My point is that I wasn't brainwashed and I wasn't just out to please the instructor. I was trying to learn and practice, and I was told by a trusted instructor that this was the proper way to do so. It took exposure to other martial arts and some punches to the face to understand the flaws in those training methods.

  7. #57

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    289
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil View Post
    I think there's more to it than just submissiveness to the instructor.

    One of my first experiences with martial arts was with Taijutsu. We did a lot of what they called randori but I now understand to be overly compliant drills - where the uke attacks once and then "dies" while he has hell unleashed upon him.

    We were taught how to be a "good uke". To offer enough resistance that the person doing the technique has to do it correctly to make it work, but not so much resistance that you impede his ability to learn and practice. And it was explained that the better we get, the faster we'll be able to go. At the time, this made perfect sense.

    But later I realized that we weren't offering any real meaningful resistance. In reality, we were offering enough resistance to make it [I]look[I] believable. That's it. We did do them faster later, but the techniques weren't any more effective this way. We just got better at doing the prescribed dance faster.

    My point is that I wasn't brainwashed and I wasn't just out to please the instructor. I was trying to learn and practice, and I was told by a trusted instructor that this was the proper way to do so. It took exposure to other martial arts and some punches to the face to understand the flaws in those training methods.
    That's a really good point. What would explain the elevate heart rate and all of that though. Were the paramedics maybe at fault?

  8. #58
    His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member
    Devil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    7,437
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Epeeist View Post
    That's a really good point. What would explain the elevate heart rate and all of that though. Were the paramedics maybe at fault?
    I'm not really sure. Just trying to offer some insight into the mindset that allows this kind of stuff to happen.

  9. #59

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    289
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil View Post
    I'm not really sure. Just trying to offer some insight into the mindset that allows this kind of stuff to happen.
    Definitely adds some insight. I never took into account as well whether the paramedics could be lying, using faulty equipment, be eager to please/looking to make a story, be totally unqualified to make this kind of analysis,etc.

  10. #60

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Lovettsville, VA
    Posts
    92
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    self-induced... Using biofeedback techniques, you can change a number of bodily functions including heart rate and blood pressure. Is it so far off to imagine that the students who honestly believed in the 'power' had some alteration of their body functioning brought about by their own subconscious expectations?

    Hell, a good spook gets my adrenaline going and my heart pumping, and nobody has to touch me, either. But there's nothing mystical about it.

Page 6 of 8 First ... 2345678 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO