Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/14/2009 7:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Returning to purely no-contact stuff (fake-outs and jukes, sleight of body) but in a competitive setting:

YouTube - NBA Crossovers, Ankle Breakers, and Other Great Moves

Fighting application of the same idea; feints that set the opponent up to make physical/tactical mistakes -

YouTube - Manny Pacquiao's new Feints

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/23/2010 2:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just bumping this to add this link - http://www.parkinson.greenisp.org/aikido.html . The author goes into fascinating detail explaining how the ideomotor response (basically, unconscious movement) can be influenced by imagination, preconception, etc. in the performance of various martial arts skills. I really think there's a thesis in here somewhere.

Posted On:
    1/29/2011 8:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    EEG study of no contact throw:
    http://jmp.oxfordjournals.org/content/21/4/439.full.pdf
    Starting at p. 454

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/29/2011 9:16pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I was teaching BJJ I found that many times the uke would fall over before I even initiated an attack. Recently I had a scenario where an instructor intended on having me attack him with my BJJ. It became apparent that he couldn't actually defend, so I just keeled over. I think the whole no contact thing is pure social pressure. Who wants to kill the vibe?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/30/2011 2:15am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JordanT View Post
    When I was teaching BJJ I found that many times the uke would fall over before I even initiated an attack. Recently I had a scenario where an instructor intended on having me attack him with my BJJ. It became apparent that he couldn't actually defend, so I just keeled over. I think the whole no contact thing is pure social pressure. Who wants to kill the vibe?
    The really interesting questions are to what extent is the compliance a conscious choice, and what's actually going on in the brain and nervous system of someone who is not consciously complying but still finds themselves falling over when someone waves a hand at them?

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    1/30/2011 3:29am

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    there was a bit on fox news or something, where they had EMTs check pulse, body temp, and i think electrical signals on one of dillman's students after getting a full force dim mak. they used it as "proof" that the technique could floor someone, saying that the results of the readings were "impossible to fake." obviously, they didn't try the technique on a non-student, and left things at that.

i can't find the video right now, maybe someone else has a convenient link to it?
    Fight Film Friday
    Watching violence on film, violently.
    Click here to donate!

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    1/30/2011 3:37am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    EEG study of no contact throw:
    http://jmp.oxfordjournals.org/content/21/4/439.full.pdf
    Starting at p. 454
    Quote Originally Posted by the linked paper
    What is experientially interesting is that before Okada takes an
    offensive move in order to attack Aoki from behind, Aoki already
    discerns and knows his sakki and starts assuming a defensive
    posture, and dodges the opponent. Aoki's move is so quick that it
    gives the illusion that objectively, Okada moves in after Aoki
    assumes the defensive posture.
    This is where I started thinking this paper was a bit of a crock. Did it not occur to these scientists that maybe the two are (subconsciously) in collusion? And that perhaps Okada DID move in after Aoki was already getting out of the way?
    Fight Film Friday
    Click here to donate!

Posted On:
    1/30/2011 6:08am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Or what happened is something similar to what can be sen in this clip (starting at 1:40)

YouTube - SAMURAI SPIRIT IAIDO 居合道 3/5

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    1/30/2011 6:21am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is experientially interesting is that before Okada takes an offensive move in order to attack Aoki from behind, Aoki already discerns and knows his sakki and starts assuming a defensive posture, and dodges the opponent. Aoki's move is so quick that it gives the illusion that objectively, Okada moves in after Aoki assumes the defensive posture.
    I suppose it's possible that Aoki heard the creaking of floorboards right before the attack seems to be initiated, but there's no way to confirm this.

PS, regarding the clip: so a guy who's never used a sword before telegraphs his attack and makes himself vulnerable to someone who's been using it his whole life? what's surprising about this?

Edit: to really test the ability to sense sakki, I propose we put a sheet of paper between the attacker and the defender, to prevent the use of visual cues. to go a step further, use a paintball gun to reduce audio cues. if the defender can really sense killing intent, he should be able to move before the trigger is pulled, yes?
    Last edited by Conde Koma; 1/30/2011 6:25am at .
    Fight Film Friday
    Click here to donate!

Posted On:
    1/30/2011 6:46am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Conde Koma View Post
    PS, regarding the clip: so a guy who's never used a sword before telegraphs his attack and makes himself vulnerable to someone who's been using it his whole life? what's surprising about this?
    Surprising? Nothing.
    Simply points to the possibility that a high speed camera should have been used to discern who really moved first in the Okada vs Aoki experiment.

Edit: to really test the ability to sense sakki, I propose we put a sheet of paper between the attacker and the defender, to prevent the use of visual cues. to go a step further, use a paintball gun to reduce audio cues. if the defender can really sense killing intent, he should be able to move before the trigger is pulled, yes?
    Seconded.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 678 LastLast