230830 Bullies, 4635 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 1871
Page 106 of 188 FirstFirst ... 65696102103104105106 107108109110116156 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 3:31pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just ran across a page in Google cache that lists the names of the brown belts that Blythe is lecturing to in the video where he is telling what he expects of his black belts.

The initials are WL, NL, and MJ. I figure the folks leading the investigation probably already have these names. If not, PM me and let me know how to get them to you, or if you want me to post them in the thread.

Edit: Meh. I see they've been posted previously. Sorry.
    Last edited by Weehawk; 8/30/2009 3:47pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 3:59pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nekmor View Post
    Having been a student of another Marine in the area when BJ came to town, and having been raised in the area. I can tell you the his studio was located in the shopping center found (on googeearth) at

Latitude: 3833'42.98"N
    Longitude: 7719'41.84"W
    A link to that location on google maps is here. That's Dumfries Shopping Plaza, on Fraley Blvd, which has been mentioned before in this thread (in this post, among others)
    Last edited by noosphere; 8/30/2009 4:07pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 4:01pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Wheel View Post
    The Chintokan Dojo is about 140 miles from Dumfries. Its closed on Sundays, but I left a message and a callback number. Lets not flood them with calls or emails, OK? One of each is sufficient, and we have that now.
    They are mainstream Japanese. Despite his "Jesus comment" KFG had at least two years training a a Chinese style in a kind of personal culture (probably informal non-commercial family environment) that is totally different from the formal Japanese MA. I'm sorry, they will just greet your inquiry with some puzzlement and astonishment.
    Besides of which their MA is diametrically opposite anything KFG displayed.

KFG said he was a Shinto Priest - imitating Carradine - he had kind of an old fashioned hippie peace idea - but he had previously trained in kungfu - TCMA Traditional Chinese Martial Arts.

But I guess it exercises the investigative muscle. With enough publicity maybe someone, somewhere in the MA community will remember him.

It's all grist to the mill in that respect.
    Good Luck.
    Last edited by Kumamoto; 8/30/2009 4:09pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 4:50pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumamoto View Post
    They are mainstream Japanese. Despite his "Jesus comment" KFG had at least two years training a a Chinese style in a kind of personal culture (probably informal non-commercial family environment) that is totally different from the formal Japanese MA. I'm sorry, they will just greet your inquiry with some puzzlement and astonishment.
    Besides of which their MA is diametrically opposite anything KFG displayed.
    I fully agree with this. I think this lead will go nowhere. But it doesn't hurt to try.

KFG said he was a Shinto Priest - imitating Carradine - he had kind of an old fashioned hippie peace idea - but he had previously trained in kungfu - TCMA Traditional Chinese Martial Arts.
    If you're referring to Carradine's role in the "Kung Fu" series, then according to Wikipedia, Carradine played a Shaolin monk, not a Shinto priest.

Second, Shinto is a Japanese religion, not a Chinese one.

Third, I believe in the video KFG does not say he's a "Shinto priest". KFG says he's a "Shintookan priest" or "Shintukan priest". It's only when Bobby Joe Blythe asks him "Shindookan priest?" does KFG correct him by saying "Shintoo-, Shintoo-", then BJB says "Shintookan priest" and KFG does not contradict him, apparently accepting that designation.

So on this point the confusion on BJB's part seems to have been over whether "Shintookan" was pronounced with a "t" or a "d". (By the way, I'm doubling the "o" in the word to emphasize that it's pronounced as a long "o". It may be that it's actually spelled with a single "o" or a single "u")

It is also interesting to note that BJB's own style was called Shindokan. You can read about it on Mr. Zingg's page here. Zingg has now taken out any mention that it was Blythe who he studied Shindokan under, but it's in other pages like this one.

Is it more than a coincidence that the name of the religion KFG claimed to be a priest of sounded much like the name of the martial art style BJB studied? It would be mere speculation to comment on that, but I think it's worth keeping in mind that they at least sound quite similar.
    Last edited by noosphere; 8/30/2009 5:00pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 4:57pm

Style: Uechi Ryu, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Transliteration from Chinese often results in d/t confusion. Tao vs dao, dofu vs tofu. (not to mention kung-fu vs gong-fu) Not sure this distinction is meaningful in an English conversation.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 5:09pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Jenkins View Post
    Transliteration from Chinese often results in d/t confusion. Tao vs dao, dofu vs tofu. (not to mention kung-fu vs gong-fu) Not sure this distinction is meaningful in an English conversation.
    I think it's quite possible that KFG thought it was pronounced with a "t" rather than a "d" (regardless of how it would have been pronounced in Chinese), and that's what he wanted to make clear when he corrected BJB by saying "Shintoo-, Shintoo-".

Anyway, that's what I hear him saying. What he actually said or meant, or whether he was even aware of the finger points of Chinese transliteration we may never know.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 5:16pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by noosphere View Post
    I think it's quite possible that KFG thought it was pronounced with a "t" rather than a "d" (regardless of how it would have been pronounced in Chinese), and that's what he wanted to make clear when he corrected BJB by saying "Shintoo-, Shintoo-".
    But then again, there was (is) an actual Chintokan school about 150 miles form Dunfries.

The victim clearly made the distinction between the "Shin DU kan" and "Shin TU kan" pronunciations.

While I am not claiming this to be a "sure thing", I do believe it is worth checking into.

Have a good evening.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 5:24pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by j.s.t. View Post
    But then again, there was (is) an actual Chintokan school about 150 miles form Dunfries.

The victim clearly made the distinction between the "Shin DU kan" and "Shin TU kan" pronunciations.

While I am not claiming this to be a "sure thing", I do believe it is worth checking into.

Have a good evening.
    I'm all for following up on leads, even if they're long shots.

I agree that the name of the school looks like it might be pronounced in a way that is similar to the name of the religion KFG said he was a priest of. But, since the Chintokan school is a Japanese karate school and not even a Chinese kung-fu school (much less a religion), I do think it is a long shot. That's all I'm saying.

But no harm in asking about him there.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 5:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by noosphere View Post
    I'm all for following up on leads, even if they're long shots.

I agree that the name of the school looks like it might be pronounced in a way that is similar to the name of the religion KFG said he was a priest of. But, since the Chintokan school is a Japanese karate school and not even a Chinese kung-fu school (much less a religion), I do think it is a long shot. That's all I'm saying.

But no harm in asking about him there.
    There is still disagreement as to the origin of KFG's movements. People cross train as well. We will find out more tomorrow either way.

I can tell you that if KFG were actually shown to be from the Chintokan system, or any other system with a similar name, it would explain an awful lot about this sorry incident.
    Last edited by Matt Phillips; 8/30/2009 6:11pm at .

Posted On:
    8/30/2009 8:44pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks like it just hit the washington post about an hour ago

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...=moreheadlines