223981 Bullies, 4241 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Olympic chiefs let women boxers into the ring for 2012

Olympic chiefs let women boxers into the ring for 2012

Women boxers have won the right to come out fighting at the London Olympics in 2012.

In a landmark ruling, the International Olympic Committee decided they could participate for the first time since a demonstration event at the St Louis Games in 1904.

As of the last Games, when women were allowed in the 3,000-metre steeplechase, boxing was the only event which did not include female competitors.

New rule: Women will be allowed to box at the 2012 Olympics for the first time

Though last night's decision was greeted with delight by sportswomen, it did not meet universal approval.

Medical experts say boxing is dangerous, irrespective of gender, and many traditionalists still consider it a 'man's sport'.

It has been just 12 years since British boxing authorities claimed that women were 'too unstable' to box because of their periods and premenstrual tension.

The woman who successfully fought them in court in 1998 for a professional boxing licence, Jane Couch, said she was thrilled with yesterday's IOC ruling.

Now 40, retired and a promoter with five world titles under her belt, her only regret is that, 'I was born 15 years too early'.

Boxing at the Olympics is an amateur sport, and amateurs must be 35 or under.

'This is a great opportunity for the next generation coming through,' Miss Couch said.

She said that competing for Britain in the Olympics would be a 'life-changing opportunity'.

In the Olympic rings: Victoria Cisneros (right) catches a very hard left hook from Layla McCarter. Bouts like this are now set to become a feature of the Olympics, although the amateur Olympic boxers will be required to wear helmets

'When I first took up boxing and walked into a boxing gym I was asked to leave,' she said. 'That was the case for years and years.

'The only worry I have now is that women will think they can go in to it and they will be rich and famous. They need the dedication to train and win gold medals. It's the toughest sport in the world.'

National women's boxing development manager Rebecca Gibson said the decision was a boost for women's boxing and increased Team

GB's medal potential. 'This is a real step forward,' she said. 'This will increase participation, and allow girls who are working really, really hard to compete on a world stage.'

According to the IOC ruling, three women's weight classes will be added for 2012, with one of the 11 men's classes dropped to make room for them.

England's national women's boxing development manager Rebecca Gibson at the English Institute of Sport in Sheffield this week. Gibson will be in charge of Britain's female boxers at the London 2012 Games

All amateur boxers, male or female, have to wear head and groin guards and women have the option of wearing breast pads for extra safety.

Even so, the British Medical Association said it was 'disappointed' by the IOC's decision. A spokesman said the ruling was, 'likely to encourage more people to take up this dangerous sport'.

He said: 'The cumulative affect of a lifetime in the ring can be irreversible brain damage.'

Before the decision, British boxer Amir Khan, an Olympic silver medalist, said: 'You don't really want to see women fighting, do you? This is a violent sport, you get hurt and I don't think women should be a part of that.

'I think women should stick to something like tennis.'

Promoter Frank Warren has also described himself as a ' traditionalist' who would never promote women in boxing.

Original Article

Also, see these two related threads:
    Woman with Implants Can't Box Rules British Boxing Association - No BS MMA and Martial Arts
    Fighting for a Crack at Recognition - No BS MMA and Martial Arts
    Thanks to Steve for the original article

How do you feel about this?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2009 10:43pm

Style: Kendo, Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hell yeah, I support allowing women to box competitively, and especially at the Olympic level. If they have the drive and determination to be that awesome, then they deserve to be recognized and respected for it.

And I don't feel that just because most of the Kyokushin and boxing women I've seen could hand me my ass in a knapsack, though it does play a fairly major part.

Posted On:
    8/13/2009 11:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...n1283679.shtml

How are both boxing and ski jump the only sport without women?

Anyway, good article. Interesting stuff. The IOC is notoriously slow, and it shows: it'll only be a demo sport.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    8/13/2009 11:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is awesome news. I had actually had a team of friends/training partners who fought for team USA in the world games and were all training with dreams of fighting in the 2008 Olympics. One of which retired shortly after the IOC declined women boxing in the Olympics.

This is going to open a lot of doors for female boxers I think and really bring the sport to a new level. The fact that women will now be competing for that Olympic gold means more women will be really pursuing the sport, training at a higher level, and perfecting their art. Since female boxers have this opportunity we will see women who have fought years as amateurs to get that Olympic gold, then turn pro having fought tons of matches as an amateur and fighting against international competition. The sport will gain notoriety and respect and notions of it being a man's game will start to fade when we see more and more women fighting with the skill of an Olympic champion.

This is a pretty big victory for women's combat sports, and equality of the genders as a whole. Major props to the IOC and a big **** you to the BMA and all the sexists dick bags that are still living in the dark ages of sexual inequality. Why do we care more about women getting brain damage than men? Pig headedness.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Posted On:
    8/14/2009 1:04am

Style: MT, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KidSpatula View Post
    Why do we care more about women getting brain damage than men? Pig headedness.
    Jeez, sorry for caring.....

:p

Here to kick your ass.

Posted On:
    8/14/2009 1:45am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why do we care more about women getting brain damage than men? Pig headedness.
    Amen to that.

I think this is awesome, a really good opportunity for boxing as a whole to come out as a sport everyone can see as thiers. Its a shame that some promoters feel that way, but i hope that enough will to get this going really well.

Chaos? Panic?... Disorder??
    .........................​My work here is done.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    8/14/2009 6:34am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a Londoner I'm going to be proud and excited as **** to get a chance to see this!

Yay the IOC! Nice big '**** you' to Frank Warren!

Posted On:
    8/14/2009 7:01am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    As a Londoner I'm going to be proud and excited as **** to get a chance to see this!

Yay the IOC! Nice big '**** you' to Frank Warren!
    So you were the one in the hood with the gun? I always thought it was Terry Marsh (although the Court decided otherwise).

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    8/14/2009 8:52am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great news.

Pet peeve: I hate it when people use "woman" as an adjective.
    Its "female soldier", "female fighter" and "female person"... not "woman person"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/14/2009 9:18am

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyone know if olympic boxers get brain-scrambled in later years as often as pro boxers? Does head gear prevent any of the neural screwups that happen to some pro boxers?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast