NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    8/13/2009 3:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    Isn't AS the counterargument to your thesis? He hasn't really competed at the highest level of MT, but if he hasn't reached his potential ... He's not like the guys who came in from K-1 with extensive pro records.
    Here's the thing about Chute Boxe: Its more of a fight club than a group of sparring partners. Going 100% with guys like Pele under MT rules is going to have a similar effect. Anderson and Pele also fought in the ring multiple times.

GSP's wrestling is an anomoly though.

Posted On:
    8/13/2009 3:32pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    DellaGrotte says he has less than 10 fights. I don't think you need to be a great athlete or competitor to be great coach. Freddie Roach was journeyman boxer, but he's a great coach.
    That's about the size of it. A lot of truly great competitors, in pretty much any sport, just kind of "get it" intuitively. Which makes them fantastic at what they do, but not so great at teaching it to other people. I've found that most of the time, it's the guys who didn't have spotless records who make the best coaches-the ones with less natural talent, who had to think harder about what they were doing in order to make it work.

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    8/13/2009 3:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by madrigan View Post
    I'm not clear on what this means.
    There should be a "he" after the should.

Floyd Mayweather Jr. lacks skill in other ranges.

Posted On:
    8/13/2009 3:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Sigma View Post
    That's about the size of it. A lot of truly great competitors, in pretty much any sport, just kind of "get it" intuitively. Which makes them fantastic at what they do, but not so great at teaching it to other people. I've found that most of the time, it's the guys who didn't have spotless records who make the best coaches-the ones with less natural talent, who had to think harder about what they were doing in order to make it work.
    Agreed. Sugar Ray Leonard is a good example of this.
    FTR DellaGrotte is, from a purely technical point of view, the best Nak Muay I have ever seen up close. Really amazingly clean technique.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2009 6:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ignorant question here -- with what are you contrasting GSP's approach to training? Doing all your training in one place, instead of traveling around to different elite instructors? Would, say, the MFS approach be the alternative to the GSP approach? Or is the alternative a place like ATT Orlando, where there are really-really good instructors in everything, but perhaps not the best-best instructors?

Posted On:
    8/13/2009 6:24pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ignorant question here -- with what are you contrasting GSP's approach to training? Doing all your training in one place, instead of traveling around to different elite instructors? Would, say, the MFS approach be the alternative to the GSP approach? Or is the alternative a place like ATT Orlando, where there are really-really good instructors in everything, but perhaps not the best-best instructors?
    I'm saying there may be a limit to how good you can get at a sport if you never actually try to compete in it, much less compete at a high level.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2009 7:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Wheel View Post
    If so it points to a possible different model for training MMA than is currently popular.
    I don't see why this would be the case. GSP is not training for professional Muay Thai or boxing, he is training for professional MMA and is having success with this approach. If GSP is a freak who can absorb and master martial arts techniques very easily, then he is not relevant to the general issue anyway. If he is merely at the extreme end of normal ability, then this probably means that the method works for MMA, or at least works for MMA for people who are at or above the minimum level of athletic ability required for professional fighting.

I'm not trying to intentionally misunderstand, it just seems like you are asking if a different model for MMA training is necessary if the currently popular method does not produce elite fighters in a different sport.

Posted On:
    8/13/2009 11:11pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't see why this would be the case. GSP is not training for professional Muay Thai or boxing, he is training for professional MMA and is having success with this approach. If GSP is a freak who can absorb and master martial arts techniques very easily, then he is not relevant to the general issue anyway. If he is merely at the extreme end of normal ability, then this probably means that the method works for MMA, or at least works for MMA for people who are at or above the minimum level of athletic ability required for professional fighting.

I'm not trying to intentionally misunderstand, it just seems like you are asking if a different model for MMA training is necessary if the currently popular method does not produce elite fighters in a different sport.
    I'm asking if GSP's method of seeking world class training in each art/sport is transferable to other athletes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/14/2009 3:59am

Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How many athletes are even going to get the resources to do that? I imagine most people will pursue the highest level of training they can manage, especially today. I think, or rather, hope, that the GSP method of multidisciplinary training catches on, as that would simply lead to some really awesome fights.

EDIT: You'll also hear Rogan going on and on about how the fighter with a wider knowledge base has an advantage because his opponent "has more to worry about". From that angle, even if you aren't world class, developing as many skills as you can seems like it can give you a good advantage. Most MMA fighters usually have some aspect of their game that they are if not defecient in, then they are at least not great at.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/14/2009 5:14am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Iíve always likened MMA fighters to Decathletes in Athletics.
    A Decathlete would seek world class training in Sprinting, Pole Vault, Long Jump etc .
    Because a Decathlete is so good at so many events this makes them IMO the ultimate Athlete similar to GSP being an Ultimate fighter
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast