Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2009 12:24am

Style: Justice/Firearms

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Just started at a Hung Gar school and found a Hung Gar video...Opinions/suggestions?

So I just started at a Hung Gar school last week. http://www.seattlekungfuclub.com. The site is pretty generic and is relatively out of date but I can tell you the price is $125/month for as many classes as you want a week. Classes are 6 days a week so I figure the value is decent compared to what else is available as far as cma out here. They have heavy, speed and the bags that are attached at both ends but those are for before and after class if you want. I have been told by several teachers that they do have full contact sanda/sanshou and participate in tournaments in the area but there are specific sparring classes and they might only be taught out of the main china town school. Classes are 90 minutes of drills single and partner and end with finger and knuckle pushups which I totally can't do so any tips on conditioning for that would be helpful. After the 90 minutes and apparently only after you've been practicing for a few months then they do 30 minutes of forms. I've only had 3 classes so I can't do a proper review and assuming I stay there I probably won't try out the sparring classes until I've got at least a month under my belt. Any body with any experience with the school or just helpful hints in general are welcome to comment.

The second part of this post is: During my interweb search for possibly helpful training material I found this video on Hung Gar Tiger and Crane and its got Chiu Chi Ling doing all the forms and applications. The addition of the woosh sound effects is extra special. But I was curious as to the general opinions on the information offered in them. Is there useful info in there or just a neat form and the rest is SSDD?

YouTube - Tiger And Shaolin Crane Form and Application 虎鶴雙形拳 pt1 (Chiu Chi Ling 趙志凌 1981)

YouTube - Tiger And Shaolin Crane Form and Application 虎鶴雙形拳 pt2 (Chiu Chi Ling 趙志凌 1981)

YouTube - Tiger And Shaolin Crane Form and Application 虎鶴雙形拳 pt3 (Chiu Chi Ling 趙志凌 1981)

YouTube - Tiger And Shaolin Crane Form and Application 虎鶴雙形拳 pt4 (Chiu Chi Ling 趙志凌 1981)

YouTube - Tiger And Shaolin Crane Form and Application 虎鶴雙形拳 pt5 (Chiu Chi Ling 趙志凌 1981)

YouTube - Tiger And Shaolin Crane Form and Application 虎鶴雙形拳 pt6 (Chiu Chi Ling 趙志凌 1981)

Enjoy the vid.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    8/13/2009 12:46am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

It's all about the clinch. The clinch, I said.

Posted On:
    8/13/2009 7:07pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO, mma, jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll give it a 3 out of 10.
    Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    As far as possible, without surrender,
    be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
    and listen to others,
    even to the dull and ignorant;
    they too have their story.

-excerpt of the poem called "Desiderata," by Max Ehrman, 1927.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2009 7:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I really want to like hung gar, but all I can say first hand is the only hung gar folks I've met were dissatisfied with the system. That and the videos are kinda swooshy.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/13/2009 7:40pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well HJ uhhhmmm yeah. I think we have a thread with that GM with all the videos already.

Have fun.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2009 8:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Well HJ uhhhmmm yeah. I think we have a thread with that GM with all the videos already.

Have fun.
    Would you happen to know the thread title off hand or be able to link me to it? Wasn't trying to troll or anything. Did the requesite search but the engine for the site isn't the most robust and it didn't return anything that looked related.

It's all about the clinch. The clinch, I said.

Posted On:
    8/13/2009 9:06pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO, mma, jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooded Justice View Post
    Would you happen to know the thread title off hand or be able to link me to it? Wasn't trying to troll or anything. Did the requesite search but the engine for the site isn't the most robust and it didn't return anything that looked related.
    Dude you posted a bunch of Shaw Brothers style videos about Hung Gar.

The jig, as they say, is up.
    Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    As far as possible, without surrender,
    be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
    and listen to others,
    even to the dull and ignorant;
    they too have their story.

-excerpt of the poem called "Desiderata," by Max Ehrman, 1927.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    8/13/2009 9:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    <facepalm>

hung fist chinese boxing can be a great style when trained correctly. there are a lot of bad hung style teachers out there, the proof is in their full contact competition record.

those youtube videos are some pretty fanciful applications in my opinion. wouldn't be my choice for the most part.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    8/13/2009 10:07pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I suggest you try the following CMA schools in Seattle:

Three Harmonies
    Jake Burroughs teaches CMA (mantis, xingyi, Sun taiji & bagua) in a modern combat sports framework. He has an ongoing relationship with Tim Cartmell, who teaches seminars at Three Harmonies with some frequency, and crosstrains in submission grappling. Jake can also point you to some other instructors in the area if he doesn't have what you want.

... and/or:

Kung Fu Academy
    Alexander Knight teaches Shaolin, shuai jiao, xingyi, and taiji. He received his black belt directly from Chang Tung Sheng, and has produced a number of solid competitors on the national shuai jiao scene.

These schools both offer instruction from teachers who have absolutely first rate traditional CMA lineage AND known combat skill.
    Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2009 10:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jack, thanks for the links but Bellingham is too far away for me and honestly the prices at 3 harmonies seem way too high. $80 a month plus $25 per class matt fee? Assuming I want 2 classes a week that works out to $280 a month. Sooo not in my budget. That's a car payment if I had one. I have heard really good things about the school and Jake but its beyond my price range. If I am reading the schedule and tuition part of his site wrong please let me know. If this school doesn't work out I'll remember to give him a call about other area instructors.

I'm not trying to pimp the school I am at. I paid for a month to check it out and hadn't found any mention of it on this site. I figured that as I mentioned starting at a new school and asked for any experiences with it that people might ask about the price, how the classes were run, their equipment and if they sparred so I figured I'd just put that in the opening post. My only MA background is in Kumdo which doesn't help identify a good striking school and to boot I am a giant movie nerd who is still trying his best to sift fact from fiction.

Ming, that was the general idea I had about proof and pudding. Thank you for reinforcing it. As I said I haven't been there long enough to check out the sparring portion but its something I've asked about a lot and I've routinely been told its open to you from day one but its probably in your interest to get the basics down first and I have yet to hear mention of too deadly, chi or importance of forms.

I think I should clarify just for the record that the person in the vids is NOT in any way related to the school I am at other than sharing the same style. That is just a video I came across while looking for hung gar vids that might have useful info. The only real reason I bothered to post them was I remember seeing part of the application portion posted in the old video forum way back before they changed the site around and as I recall there were a couple favorable remarks about it, or at the least positively nostalgic. I know the applications are idealistic at best and the history part is probably inaccurate, but as I said I remember a couple seemingly positive comments so I figured at the least people would enjoy the sound effects and entertainment value.
    Last edited by Hooded Justice; 8/13/2009 10:57pm at . Reason: my own grammar nazi.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast