Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/12/2009 5:58am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The Worst Refereeing I Have Ever Seen

Let's face it: everyone makes mistakes, and early stoppages/late stoppages always happen at heated moments, so it's tricky to argue - if you're honest - that you wouldn't have done the same if you were wearing the black shirt. But I was re-watching Elite XC: Renegade's undercard the other night (I was cooking risotto, it gets boring) and this was just amazing:

Matt Lucas vs Jon Kirk
    Textbook tedious limited-talent matchup. One guy decent at wrestling but not confident enough to go for a guard pass, the other decent at striking but no takedown defence at all. The first round was okay thanks to a late kimura-sweep-reversal-near-choke, the second was five minutes of rubbish ground and pound, punctuated by the commentators going:

'I can't BELIEVE he isn't standing them up. This is the worst refereeing ever.'

Now, I actually don't agree with that, really, because I'm in Rogan that unless you're *absolutely stationary* the guy on the bottom should be getting his own ass off the floor. But someone must have nudged the ref between rounds, because in the third Lucas got a takedown and was *immediately* stood up. Seriously. He hit the takedown at 4:50, and was stood up at 4:39 - while he was punching.

That's the worst standup I've ever seen, and because it was premeditated and leaving things ten seconds longer couldn't possibly have hurt, probably the worst bit of refereeing I've ever seen. Anyone got anything else?

Posted On:
    8/12/2009 6:15am

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know what, I actually agree 100% with Rogan, IF they can't get up ... too bad. Yes there will be some boring fights, but God damn if I haven't seen a **** tonne of boring fights of people doing 15 minutes of standup that was shithouse.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    8/12/2009 7:27am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jol View Post
    Let's face it: everyone makes mistakes, and early stoppages/late stoppages always happen at heated moments, so it's tricky to argue - if you're honest - that you wouldn't have done the same if you were wearing the black shirt. But I was re-watching Elite XC: Renegade's undercard the other night (I was cooking risotto, it gets boring) and this was just amazing:

Matt Lucas vs Jon Kirk
    Textbook tedious limited-talent matchup. One guy decent at wrestling but not confident enough to go for a guard pass, the other decent at striking but no takedown defence at all. The first round was okay thanks to a late kimura-sweep-reversal-near-choke, the second was five minutes of rubbish ground and pound, punctuated by the commentators going:

'I can't BELIEVE he isn't standing them up. This is the worst refereeing ever.'

Now, I actually don't agree with that, really, because I'm in Rogan that unless you're *absolutely stationary* the guy on the bottom should be getting his own ass off the floor. But someone must have nudged the ref between rounds, because in the third Lucas got a takedown and was *immediately* stood up. Seriously. He hit the takedown at 4:50, and was stood up at 4:39 - while he was punching.

That's the worst standup I've ever seen, and because it was premeditated and leaving things ten seconds longer couldn't possibly have hurt, probably the worst bit of refereeing I've ever seen. Anyone got anything else?
    He was stood up before getting the takedown? That's some seriously bad time warping refereeing!
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Posted On:
    8/12/2009 7:58am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dunno whether you've seen an MMA fight, Ben, but the clocks tick down...:icon_surp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/12/2009 9:58am

Style: Internet Warrior, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the ref that stood up koscheck vs lytle.

goldberg and rogan thought the fight had been stopped via gnp, but instead the ref restarted them standing.

also i saw a video with cristiane cyborg having her opponent in an armbar and the ref standing them up.

Posted On:
    8/12/2009 10:01am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually just remembered the ref who stood Rothwell up while he was in side control on Arlovski. Or was it Nelson? I always get them confused.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    8/12/2009 10:04am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've seen worse. And with family involved...

YouTube - Juniors Ammy Shooto Match

Posted On:
    8/12/2009 10:08am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jesus. Sub grappling + headgear seems like a recipe for disaster, but when you factor in a ref who can't tell when someone's gone limp...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/12/2009 11:01am

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    two that stick out to me are two James Thompson fights from PRIDE had awfully late stoppages - his fights against Don Frye and Hidehiko Yoshida.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    8/12/2009 11:11am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And then there is this disgusting display of dishonesty:

YouTube - Sakuraba vs. Akiyama with Sakuraba and Referee's voice
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast